MVP Support
13845 posts

Re: Used game activation fee

May 27, 2013

Cascadien wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

Cascadien wrote:

my point being is that if both MS and sony decide to do this then where does this leave console gaming, or console gamers for that matter?  from what im seeing right now everyone is assuming that MS are the only guys that are going to recharge for used games but i highly doubt that sony would/could stray too far from their main competitors in this or any other fashion.

I'm not assuming that MS will be the only ones. It would leave a lot of gamers in a real lurch. The ones who can afford to pay the extra fee, will probably continue to do so, but there will be plenty of gamers who will have had enough in terms of fees in general. I doubt it as well. It wouldn't be that good for their bottom line.

you do remember that sony sold the PS3 at a substantial loss when it was initially released dont you?

Yes. Considering how much it originally cost -- I wouldn't doubt that they lost quite a few customers over it. But it is nice to see some common sense in terms of used games from them, at least as of late.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 21 of 38 (210 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

May 27, 2013
I am switching over to PS4 not because of the used game fee but because the XBONE is garbage. I was probably going to switch to PS4 this gen anyway since Halo has been terrible since 2007. But anyways, I fully expect PS4 to have a fee for games where the publisher demands it. I don't care about it too much though, I buy all my games new regardless, but it is pretty terrible that they are going to do this.
Message 22 of 38 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

May 27, 2013

MysticlIllusion wrote:
                                   the XBONE is garbage.

LMFAO!!! you called it the X-bone thats awesome imo!!!Robot LOL

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 23 of 38 (187 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

May 27, 2013

I think the fee is being overexaggerated, but I would not be surprised if Sony did it too. I hope not because it would be a major blow to the Xbone, but companies usually desire to make one of their changes "standard" among all the competition. The fee may suck, but if it is on the Xbone AND PS4, then it is not as big of a deal for MS.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 24 of 38 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

I am against to this kind of fees, we as the owner of the copy of the game should be able to lend it to our friends or family or sell it.

What i am wondering is why Nintendo left out of this? They launch they're new console last year but there werent any buzz about DRM. So im thinking that only the big publishers are pushing for this, Microsoft has a big deal with EA so they probably agreed to that just to get EA. Ofcourse Sony gets a lot of support too from big publishers so they might have a new DRM scheme too just to get these publishers onboard. I just wish they let each publisher decide on this and do not make this an industry standard.

Also i think a donate scheme using our PSN accounts or Xbox live accounts would be better, where a certain percentage will go to the developer and publisher. This is a more positive approach and i believe is better.

Message 25 of 38 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8502 posts

Jun 6, 2013

Cascadien wrote:

kknd2002 wrote:
I loved my xbox360 but as someone who buys around 30% of his games used, I'll never tolerate this used game fee **bleep**, in fact, I have yet paid full price on games that requires online pass either. So suck it game companies.

but what if sony DOES DO the same friggin thing?!

for all the flaming and hate ive heard the last 48 hours about the XB1 reveal no one on PSforums has given a rational, logical argument  as to why if microsoft would do it then why wouldnt sony follow suit??

then sony too is losing me as a customer, with all the anti-DRM thing going on lately, it will really take a thick skull not to understand that people hate used game fees. 
Actually Sony has done that with online pass for a few games on PS3 and guess what? I paid at most 20$ for every single one of them.

Message 26 of 38 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Jun 6, 2013
"Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it."

Literally the first thing you see when you click the link.
"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 27 of 38 (127 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Jun 6, 2013
In other words, MS and EA are pretty much trying to shut GameStop down
My PSN
Message 28 of 38 (124 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13845 posts

Jun 6, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:
In other words, MS and EA are pretty much trying to shut GameStop down

Yep Smiley Sad. Not good. Since there are quite a few gamers who may not be able to get some games right away. Or can only get so many games at one time, and have to wait to get other games that they may want. Used game places (at least the good ones) can sometimes have those hard to come by games and games that gamers may want to get when they can at more affordable prices. Gamestop is only one of those places, and to a point, it would be a shame if it were run out of business due to this.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 29 of 38 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Jun 6, 2013
*awkwardly raises hand & speaks" Hey guys, there won't be an activation fee.

Here's more: "What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now."
"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 30 of 38 (97 Views)
0 Likes