Apr 04 2013
By: Jhooud Lombax Warrior 149 posts

Upgrading PS3's Hard drive...

8 replies 214 views Edited Apr 4, 2013

So after many years of loyal service, I've got to the point where my 60GB hard drive just isn't cutting it (thanks a lot, PLUS Smiley Tongue).  Found a 500GB drive on Amazon that fits the bill, and it ought to be here today.  The support section has a ton of articles (backing up, replacing, reinstalling the operating system and restoring the backups), so I think I'm good.  I just thought I'd toss a thread out here and see if there are any tips or hints or whatever that I might have missed.

Thanks in advance!

Please implement Remote Play in PS4 Xenoverse!
Message 1 of 9 (214 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15685 posts

Re: Upgrading PS3's Hard drive...

Apr 4, 2013

There are a ton of threads about HDD replacement, and some very good Youtube videos that will show you all you need to know.  The ony thing I've seen mentioned several times is to be very careful when loosening the screw holding the HDD as it can strip.

I replace my HDD on my slim without any issue at all.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 2 of 9 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1547 posts

Apr 4, 2013

The key item is to make sure you deactivate your PS3 system with the 60 gig HD before you install the new.  PSN will recognize the bigger HD as a new system if you don't and count it toward the number of system you own.  I found out the hard way and had to call in for help as I went from 2 systems sharing content to 3 and it wasn't going to allow me to download content to me new bigger HD system.

Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 9 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

Apr 4, 2013
its very easy you should be fine
Message 4 of 9 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 4, 2013

loosening the screws is the hardest part even though Sony says don't overtighten, that is exactly what they did to mine

it tooke 45 minutes to get one screw - I thought for sure I was screwed (see what I did there)

by an absolute miracle, it finally came out - it was stripped and I didn't bother putting that screw back in

Message 5 of 9 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Apr 4, 2013
Only tip I have is to use pliers or something similar to remove the blue screw when you get there.
Message 6 of 9 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15795 posts

Apr 4, 2013

Yeah, it's important to backup your old content onto an external HDD or a flash card big enough. Because you can transfer your old content using that onto your new HDD. It's that or redownload everything from your download list or the PS store. Your choice.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 7 of 9 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Thanks guys!  Got it done last night and everything went great.  The backup utility worked like a charm.  All of my content is safe and sound on the new drive, and I've started downloading Plus content en masse.  I did have one of the screws give me a little trouble, but was able to get it taken care of with a pair of clippers (just gripped the outer edge and it came loose).

Thanks for all of the tips!

Please implement Remote Play in PS4 Xenoverse!
Message 8 of 9 (137 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
15685 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Congrats!

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 9 of 9 (132 Views)
0 Likes