PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Re: Need some advice on replacing my hard drive

Dec 11, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:
Doppelgangergang wrote:

1. Anything at or above 5200RPM is good, however a 7200RPM drive is recommended.

2. The PS3 OS is stored on the hard disk. Obviously, replacing the hard disk would require a reinstall of the OS because it wouldn't be there anymore. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Get PS3 Update" picture for instructions to set up a USB drive with this OS.

3. You can use an external hard disk to backup data.

4. I never had it, but this drive got positive reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-2-5-Inch-Internal-STBD1000100/dp/B007PG25UU

I know this thread is a couple months old but I'm also looking into upgrading my drive. Got a PS3 last year, the 320 gig model bundle, and I'm already halfway through it lol.... and it's funny but I have that same exact 1 TB hard drive by seagate you mentioned in my wish list lol. I'm bookmarking this thread cause it mentions a couple things I know I'll forget but there's three questions I have...

1) Someone mentioned above about deactivating the old HD before taking it out. He means deactivating the PS3 itself right?

Yes. For Game and Video

2) Anyone know the RPM of the drives originally in the 320 gig slims? 54000 or 7200?   Cause if it's 5400 in the original I don't see the point of going with a 7200 rpm drive and making the system work harder. And that 1 TB drive is 5400 so....

Spindle speed doesn't matter... and it doesn't mean the system is going to "work harder", it means it will work "slightly faster".

3) About backing it up. What exactly is backed up? I have all my game saves on a flash drive (at least the games that LET you copy them to a flash drive). I also have my themes I made (with PS3 Theme Builder.... pc application you can find on the net) on it too.  Since you can download the firmware/update from here to a flash drive..... do I even need to back it up first? Lol  And just how BIG of a external drive do you need to backup a PS3? AND.... will the backup program copy my save game files that are copy-locked?
The backup utlity is essentially a drive cloning program that copies just about everything on the PS3's hdd and depending on how much data you actually have, it can take a while to perform a backup and subsequently a restore. 

The size of external drive you need to backup the PS3 needs to be the exact size as the PS3's hdd or larger. There is no telling if actual copy-protected saves are backed up. Some people have said yes, others have said no.

Thank you

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 20 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1252 posts

Dec 11, 2012

quick answer lol..... as for the RPM, yes it does matter. For something to work faster, it DOES work harder then something slower..... even taking more power (maybe miniscule amounts but still). IF anything ...... at least this is true, if the original drive is 5400 rpm, then a 7200 would create a little more heat. And that's definitely something you dont' want lol But ya I'll prolly get the 1 TB Seagate anyway so that's 5400 so guess it really doesn't matter. I was just thinking if the original was 7200, then putting in a 5400 might cause some things to go slower then it should (causing more freezing in games and stuff).

But um... o ya are you sure I need a 320 gig or lager external HD to backup a 320 gig PS3? There's still 150 GB free on mine, wouldn't a 250 gig passport I have work?

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 20 (141 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Dec 11, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

quick answer lol..... as for the RPM, yes it does matter. For something to work faster, it DOES work harder then something slower..... even taking more power (maybe miniscule amounts but still). IF anything ...... at least this is true, if the original drive is 5400 rpm, then a 7200 would create a little more heat. And that's definitely something you dont' want lol But ya I'll prolly get the 1 TB Seagate anyway so that's 5400 so guess it really doesn't matter. I was just thinking if the original was 7200, then putting in a 5400 might cause some things to go slower then it should (causing more freezing in games and stuff).

But um... o ya are you sure I need a 320 gig or lager external HD to backup a 320 gig PS3? There's still 150 GB free on mine, wouldn't a 250 gig passport I have work?

I once said the same thing.... But fact is, the power draw is so miniscule that the only DIFFERENCE is the spindle speed and the MAYBE 10*F heat increase...

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 20 (135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1252 posts

Dec 11, 2012

lol ok, but what about the HD? Why do i need a 320 gig to backup a 320 gig when i've only filled  up half of it? That just doesnt' make sense to me (and I built the 2 pc's in my house lol).

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 20 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Dec 11, 2012

Your ext. HD you are using for backing up your PS3 don't have to be the same size as the one in your PS3. It just has to be large enough to fit the data you have on your PS3's HD. You said you got a 320GB one in there now that still has 150GB of free space so the 250GB drive you plan on using for back up should work fine. Just make sure it's formatted to Fat32 cause that's the only file system the PS3 recognizes. RPMs don't matter, I have a 7200rpm HD in mine & it has worked flawlessly. But it also doesn't make loading, saving, or installing much faster than a 5400rpm drive. A 7200rpm drive will run a few degrees hotter than a 5400rpm drive, but as long as your PS3 is well maintained it isn't an issue. I will give you this advice though, if you do decide to go with a 7200rpm drive I'd recommend opening your PS3 up, clean all/any dust out of the case & off the components, remove the old thermal paste from the heat sinks, CPU, & GPU, then replace it with a high quality thermal paste such as MX-4 or AS5.

Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 20 (126 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1252 posts

Dec 11, 2012

thanks dude.... and nah, after these posts I'll be getting that seagate 1TB eventually and it's 5400 rpm so .......  i was searching for like 2 hours the other night and i couldn't find actual specs on the PS3 anywhere, let alone the RPM of the HD they ship with lol

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 20 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Dec 11, 2012

No problem, if you need any help installing it once you get it feel free to PM me. Also as far finding info on the PS3 this site is usually the best bet, a lot of good knowledgable people are on here. Not saying there ain't no trolls here but for the most part everybody helps everbody else out.

Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 20 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Dec 11, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

lol ok, but what about the HD? Why do i need a 320 gig to backup a 320 gig when i've only filled  up half of it? That just doesnt' make sense to me (and I built the 2 pc's in my house lol).

This is not a PC....

The PS3's file encryption and backup process is like i previously said.... a cloning application. 

I might have misread you about how much capacity was left, or you never mentioned it.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 20 (116 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1252 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

This is not a PC....

The PS3's file encryption and backup process is like i previously said.... a cloning application. 

I might have misread you about how much capacity was left, or you never mentioned it.

Actually considering what's in it, it is indeed a small PC. Just one that limits you on the OS and what you can install lol..... And the backup process is the same as well. Obviously I don't know about the encryption, but wth do you think you do on a PC when you backup? I dont' even know why you said that.... only thing I was getting at is why would I need a 320 gig drive to copy a drive that only has ~150 gigs of data on it atm.  That wouldnt' make sense, whether its a PC a PS3 or a friggin cell phone. lol

Anyway..... lol 2 hours the other night didnt' find a **bleep** thing, i guess I was searching for the wrong phrase. Just found this during a commercial on my show lol

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6778784_hard-drive-specifications-ps3-80gb.html

I'm going to assume Sony stuck with that brand and model, just increased drive capacity. LOL funny it's a seagate Momentus, same type most people replace the original with (that 1 TB one that was mentioned earlier).  So it's a 5400 rpm drive, 8 mb cache

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 20 (110 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1252 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 9, 2013

Well like I said I bookmarked this thread. lol..... I'm replacing the hard drive tonight. I actually went with the Momentus 750 gig drive not the 1 TB. faster drive and more cache size and it's cheaper then the 1 TB too.

If anyone reads this thread I want to point out one thing, and I just talked to a Sony chat rep to make sure. I've read elsewhere (maybe it was this thread or another one) where people have said you need to Restore the PS3 to it's factory settings before taking out the original hard drive (after backing it up, if you do that). That's not true. All you have to do (according to the rep) once you back up the drive to a external is deactivate your account from the system (deactivate the PS3).

Account Management > System Activation > PS3 >  Game or Video > Deactivate

Deactivate both game and video...  I thought the activate/deactivate was in the system menu in the XMB not account management, I cant look right now since the PS3 is backing up at the moment but that's where the rep said to do it.

EDIT: Well....... took the harddrive out and I find out Sony did NOT put the seagate momentus 320 (8mb cache) 5400 rpm drive in them. At least not anymore, not in the newer 320 gb slims (not the newer slimmer).  They put a cheaper 40 dollar Hitachi drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145454

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 20 (62 Views)
0 Likes