Do you mean 
Oct 04 2012
By: dtbecker First Son 19 posts
Accepted Solution

Upgrading HDD. Please Read

19 replies 479 views Edited Oct 4, 2012

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my PS3 Hard drive, however, I have two questions:

1) If I do a backup of my game saves and other stuff, will I need to still put the system firmware on a flashdrive? (Most YouTube video's don't show this step)

2) If I do need to use a flash drive to install the system firmware, can I use that same flashdrive for both the update AND game saves?

I already have a flash drive formatted for FAT32 (16GB flash drive)

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2602 posts

Re: Upgrading HDD. Please Read

Oct 4, 2012

1) Most likely you may have to have the latest firmware on the flash drive.

2) Yes, you can keep your saves on the same drive without risk.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (477 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Oct 4, 2012

make sure you do a factory reset on you old ps3 harddrive be for you take it out or it wont be able to read you new one. dont know why but i had problems reading my new harddrive till i did a reset on the old one. must be something to do with the updates

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7552 posts

Oct 4, 2012

dtbecker wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my PS3 Hard drive, however, I have two questions:

1) If I do a backup of my game saves and other stuff, will I need to still put the system firmware on a flashdrive? (Most YouTube video's don't show this step)

2) If I do need to use a flash drive to install the system firmware, can I use that same flashdrive for both the update AND game saves?

I already have a flash drive formatted for FAT32 (16GB flash drive)

Thanks. 

1. YES. Unless you have an older model (launch-era), the system F/W is on the hard disk. Therefore, F/W must be reloaded.

2. YES. As, long as there's free space that is.

You might want to use a 4GB flash drive formatted to FAT if you have it handy. Maybe it's just me, or updates are much speedier on FAT-formatted drives.

Also, please tell the brand, model and manufacturer of your hard disk just for reference. :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (453 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Oct 4, 2012
Thank you for the post. It very well did a good job of answering my questions and thank you everyone else who responded.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Oct 4, 2012
I will check out my hdd when I get home from work. Is the model CHECHLO1 considered launch era?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (443 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7552 posts

Oct 4, 2012

dtbecker wrote:
I will check out my hdd when I get home from work. Is the model CHECHLO1 considered launch era?

I have the CECHL01 as well. It isn't Launch-Era (2006) because it's made in 2008, if I remember right.

I had to reload the Firmware on mine, and the backup utility worked perfect. One final note: If you find yourself locked out of your purchased PSN content after upgrading, Deactivate the System and Re-activate it after 30 seconds to refresh the license keys.

And, if you need a suggestion, I upgraded to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB (WD7500BPKT). Perfect speedy hard disk at a perfect price ($95 on Canada Computers).

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (428 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Need some advice on replacing my hard drive

Oct 5, 2012

1. Does it have to be a certain RPMs so it doesnt slow down my ps3 i have a 80GB?

2. Whats the deal about the program on the flash drives ive been reading about in order to change the hard drives?

3. Is there a way to backup all my data to my hard drive now and when i switch them transfer everything to the new one?

4. Im looking for a 1000GB hard drive any good suggestions on hard drives?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (393 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7552 posts

Re: Need some advice on replacing my hard drive

Oct 5, 2012

Big_Bear99 wrote:

1. Does it have to be a certain RPMs so it doesnt slow down my ps3 i have a 80GB?

2. Whats the deal about the program on the flash drives ive been reading about in order to change the hard drives?

3. Is there a way to backup all my data to my hard drive now and when i switch them transfer everything to the new one?

4. Im looking for a 1000GB hard drive any good suggestions on hard drives?

1. Anything at or above 5200RPM is good, however a 7200RPM drive is recommended.

2. The PS3 OS is stored on the hard disk. Obviously, replacing the hard disk would require a reinstall of the OS because it wouldn't be there anymore. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Get PS3 Update" picture for instructions to set up a USB drive with this OS.

3. You can use an external hard disk to backup data.

4. I never had it, but this drive got positive reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-2-5-Inch-Internal-STBD1000100/dp/B007PG25UU

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (388 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1301 posts

Re: Need some advice on replacing my hard drive

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2012
Doppelgangergang wrote:

1. Anything at or above 5200RPM is good, however a 7200RPM drive is recommended.

2. The PS3 OS is stored on the hard disk. Obviously, replacing the hard disk would require a reinstall of the OS because it wouldn't be there anymore. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Get PS3 Update" picture for instructions to set up a USB drive with this OS.

3. You can use an external hard disk to backup data.

4. I never had it, but this drive got positive reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-2-5-Inch-Internal-STBD1000100/dp/B007PG25UU

I know this thread is a couple months old but I'm also looking into upgrading my drive. Got a PS3 last year, the 320 gig model bundle, and I'm already halfway through it lol.... and it's funny but I have that same exact 1 TB hard drive by seagate you mentioned in my wish list lol. I'm bookmarking this thread cause it mentions a couple things I know I'll forget but there's three questions I have...

1) Someone mentioned above about deactivating the old HD before taking it out. He means deactivating the PS3 itself right?

2) Anyone know the RPM of the drives originally in the 320 gig slims? 54000 or 7200?   Cause if it's 5400 in the original I don't see the point of going with a 7200 rpm drive and making the system work harder. And that 1 TB drive is 5400 so....

3) About backing it up. What exactly is backed up? I have all my game saves on a flash drive (at least the games that LET you copy them to a flash drive). I also have my themes I made (with PS3 Theme Builder.... pc application you can find on the net) on it too.  Since you can download the firmware/update from here to a flash drive..... do I even need to back it up first? Lol  And just how BIG of a external drive do you need to backup a PS3? AND.... will the backup program copy my save game files that are copy-locked?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (305 Views)
0 Likes