Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Upgrade the RAM!!!

Sep 26, 2012

MadBullBunny wrote:

Nice try, but no. The 360 was the base for the game to be made on and then it was ported to PC and PS3. It's why many games have issues that are multiplatforms. PS3 console exclusives shows what the ps3 can really do when its the dedicated console.

Nice attempt at proving me wrong, but no...... The reason why the porting to and from PC and 360 is easy/error bug free is because their hardware architecture are very similar from one another.... 

The PS3 on the other hand not so much..... The only similarity between all 3 plaforms is that the CPU is based on a PowerPC architecture..... everything else is very different on the PS3 than PC and 360. 

Why else do you think PS3 exclusives are held to a higher regard than any multiplaform game? especially when there are many dev's that are vested into the PS3 and create a smallish team for porting?

As is also the case when a game has an issue on the PS3 but none on the others, particularly Skyrim and only minor issues with BF3(which again, was geared towards PC for the most part)

Furiously Chaosing
Message 11 of 26 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 26, 2012

JBourne81 wrote:

This is not necessarily true, the N64 had RAM upgrades you could purchase and install yourself.  I know cuz I did it back  then.

I had it too...... and it was a waste of money because if you wanted to play Perfect Dark you NEEDED the expansion pack.

But think about it....... they had DESIGNED THE N64 from the get go to have expandabilitty in mind which was a big change from that generation and previous generations before that...... otherwise we would have had to buy another N64 with the upgrade.

Remember the 64DD? Only released in Japan in limited numbers and did not do very well.....

You have to take that sort of comparison with a grain of salt..... back then, improving technology in consoles was VERY risky and VERY COSTLY...... the PS1 was in the market 2 years ahead of the N64 and DOMINATED even upon the N64s release.... 
And the PS1 didn't have any expandability..... you pop in a disc, you power on and you play, and if you wanted to continue progressing you would buy a memory card for save data.

Nowadays, technology improves at an exponential rate, not like the "doubling" ratio we once had...... 8bit>16>32>64>128bit graphics..... you have to be an idiot to not notice how the lines between consoles and PCs are being blurred since general hardware specs are all about CPU/GPU speed, memory capacity and clock speed, sustained frame rates and resolutions...... 
Remember the T-Rex tech demo for the PS1?..... if the resolution was simply increased to 720 or even 1080p people would still be in awe, save for the fact of the low polygon count and lack of textures.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 12 of 26 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
593 posts

Sep 26, 2012
Upgrading the RAM would be stupid. That would completely divide the PS3 userbase.
Message 13 of 26 (149 Views)
Survivor
2613 posts

Sep 26, 2012

If I could upgrade the RAM why would I buy a console in the first place? Not having to do anything to the system to play gamesis why I prefer to play consoles as opposed to PC gaming.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 14 of 26 (148 Views)
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

What I'm saying is, they should've manufactured the new Slim and SuperSlim units with an upgrade in RAM.  I'm not implying or saying the consumer purchase RAM upgrades rather, if the manufacturer is going to release an upgraded product then improve it in other areas as well.  Therefore, Sony leave the motherboard as is but they should've upgraded the RAM to 512 or 1 GB if possible and should've released it that way with the Slim or SuperSlim.

Message 15 of 26 (141 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 26, 2012

JBourne81 wrote:

What I'm saying is, they should've manufactured the new Slim and SuperSlim units with an upgrade in RAM.  I'm not implying or saying the consumer purchase RAM upgrades rather, if the manufacturer is going to release an upgraded product then improve it in other areas as well.  Therefore, Sony leave the motherboard as is but they should've upgraded the RAM to 512 or 1 GB if possible and should've released it that way with the Slim or SuperSlim.

I understand what you are saying, the problem is that developers would have to program to that upgrade in order to take advantage of it, which doesn't make much sense because far more people would own the older spec. It is far better just to keep the same spec so every game runs the same way on each machine. 

The PS3 (as is) is able to play some really good games, when it is optimized to the system, so I believe the issue is more with the developer's abilites than with the system itself...

Message 16 of 26 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
479 posts

Sep 26, 2012

JBourne81 wrote:

I fail to understand why Sony has released 3 iterations of the PS3 now and have not addressed another fundamental issue with it's hardware... RAM.  It seems to me there should've been an upgrade of 512 or 1 GB of RAM for better performance along with the smaller processor.  This is one of the reasons a game like Skyrim runs better on 360.  I'm a diehard Sony consumer and do not own an Xbox and never will yet from what I've read, this seems like a fundamental flaw.  The Super-Slim should've/should be released with this upgrade.

I'm pretty sure both consoles have 512MB of RAM, the difference is the PS3's RAM is split.

Message 17 of 26 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Sep 26, 2012

JBourne81 wrote:

This is not necessarily true, the N64 had RAM upgrades you could purchase and install yourself.  I know cuz I did it back  then.

Quite true.

And that little Nintendo idea failed.

No one bought the dam thing.  And as developers wanted to make games that could only be played with the higher RAM, Nintendo found they had to include the Expansion pack, with certain games at a loss,  just to insure market penetration.

They took a bath on that stupid expansion pack.  This little experiment proved to the entire industry, that different specs for the same unit, doesn't work in the console market.

The Console gaming market is not the PC gaming market.

Be One With The Game.

Message 18 of 26 (118 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Sep 26, 2012

I enjoy consoles because unlike a cpu I don't have to upgrade it all the time to run new software, so when consoles start making you upgrade your hardware to play games then there will be no reason to buy a console anymore. Also I look at the skyrim problem like this Bethesda is known for releasing buggie products they have done it for years on multiple platforms, this time skyrims problems just aren't as easy for them to patch it away like they have in the past. Bethesda as a developer dropped the ball on Skyrim if the ram was a issue it was there from the start and I don't understand how they could develop the game and not notice that this was going to cause issues in the game. Seem to me they would be full aware of the ram issue and decided to release the game to get some money anyways. Sorry I dont mean to rant but if you buy any product in the store that is defective you can return it, but if you buy a game from Bethesda and its defective like skyrim you are just out the money. There is no way they have released this many products on the PS3 and were not aware of this problem when they released the game. So rather then want a ram upgrade for the ps3 maybe we should want better quality control from developers and for them to say hey this game wont run well on this system so we are not going to release it on that system.

Message 19 of 26 (110 Views)
Wastelander
838 posts

Sep 26, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

JBourne81 wrote:

I had it too...... and it was a waste of money because if you wanted to play Perfect Dark you NEEDED the expansion pack.

Not entirely true a 2 player deathmatch was possible without the pak. 

Message 20 of 26 (99 Views)
0 Likes