Apr 29 2013
By: teknetia First Son 1 posts

Upgrade PS3 HDD games

4 replies 85 views Edited Apr 29, 2013

Hi Guys,

I know this has been asked a bunch but I keep getting conflicting answers from all over the show on game data (actual downloaded games from the ps store). Will these be backed up or must I re-download them? Most of my games are PS Store games and I *really* don't want to burn my whole monthly allowance re-downloading them all! There's >250GB of them!! 

Possible? Or am I out of luck? Is re-downloading the games labourious? (how do I even find a list?)

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (85 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1142 posts

Re: Upgrade PS3 HDD games

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

You will have to re-download them unfortunately. You can find your downloads in the Playstation store, under downloads at the top.....also you can go into account management and go to transaction history, where they will be listed.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

here is some more conflicting info - I just backed up my hard drive 4 months ago and installed a 500GB drive

transferred all my data to the new drive - ALL my downloaded games were transferred (I did not have to re-download anything)

the only problem is that backing up takes a long time - 200GB took about 6 hours for the PS3 process

note: you do have to backup your data on a USB drive

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (62 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1142 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Yes that is true, but some people do not have big enough storage space to copy everything over at once. So he might have to re-download his games. I had to when i upgraded my HDD to 500gb.......well at least he knows the two scenarios that could happen.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (57 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7585 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

If you are only upgrading the HDD in the same PS3, I would recommend buying one of these to plug the new HDD* into to back up to, then transfer the contents to a PC as a folder on the desktop (just drag-copy the PS3 folder on the drive from Windows Explorer to your desktop).  After the copy is complete, swap the HDDs (the one from the PS3 into the enclosure and the one from the enclosure to its new home inside your PS3, then start the PS3's process to format it and put the system on it).  Take the old HDD (in the enclosure), hook it up to your PC, format it to FAT32 and copy the PS3 folder to it.  Plug it into the PS3 and run the restore application from the XMB.

* - Some HDDs come from the factory pre-formatted FAT32, but many are starting to be shipped pre-formatted NTFS.  If the new drive is one of the former, you should be good to go out of the box.  If it is one of the latter, you'll need to hook it up to your PC and format it FAT32 first.

The formatting program a lot of people recommend for Windows is called SwissKnife.  If you are on a Mac, you can just use the Mac's Disk Utility to format the drive as MS-DOS (which is how MacOS refers to FAT/FAT32).

Videos, Music and photos will need to be copied manually from the XMB to the external Drive.  The Backup utility only grabs data from the games tab on the XMB.  Doing a full backup and restore to the SAME PS3 will copy ALL game data, including protected saves.

Also be sure to sync your trophy data with the server before pulling the old HDD out.  Trophy data is not preserved on the HDD.  Once your HDDs are swapped and you have your system back up and running on the new HDD, you can sync your trophy data back to your PS3 from the server.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes