Mar 02 2012
By: ProfessorTripp Treasure Hunter 5406 posts

Unread message count incorrect on friends list

2 replies 133 views Edited Mar 2, 2012

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm posting on behalf of a friend who says that the message count next to my username on her friends list is incorrect. When she has no new messages from me the message icon disappears as it should, but when I send her a single message the count next to the icon shows 2; when she has 2 new messages from me it shows 3, etc.

She tried deleting me from her friends list and adding me again, but it's still happening. I suggested that she empty out her message inbox, since there could be a corrupt message in there somewhere, but for the moment she's putting it off until she can go through it and protect the messages she wants to keep.

My guess is that emptying out the inbox will likely fix it, but I'm just curious if anyone has experienced this before and what solution was found, if any.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9106 posts

Re: Unread message count incorrect on friends list

Mar 2, 2012

In my PS3, I have something similar to that. When I get a message, the XMB shows it as an unread message, even after I have read it. The only way the XMB will show it as a read message is to delete it. Then I will have the same problem with the next message I receive.

I have just learned to live with it, because the only way I know to fix it would be to do "Rebuild Database" which would erase all my saved messages. (I have over 4000 saved messages). If your friend wants to save some of her PS3 messages, she should copy and paste the messages she wants to save and send them in an email to herself.

Because it sounds like her PS3 has some corrupted data, and one day she will be forced  to do an unavoidable "Rebuilding Database" and all of her messages will be erased anyway.

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 2 of 3 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Unread message count incorrect on friends list

Mar 2, 2012

bronxsushi wrote:

In my PS3, I have something similar to that. When I get a message, the XMB shows it as an unread message, even after I have read it. The only way the XMB will show it as a read message is to delete it. Then I will have the same problem with the next message I receive.

I have just learned to live with it, because the only way I know to fix it would be to do "Rebuild Database" which would erase all my saved messages. (I have over 4000 saved messages). If your friend wants to save some of her PS3 messages, she should copy and paste the messages she wants to save and send them in an email to herself.

Because it sounds like her PS3 has some corrupted data, and one day she will be forced  to do an unavoidable "Rebuilding Database" and all of her messages will be erased anyway.

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª ⇒⇔ 。 ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유 Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵ ∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ % &()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\ ]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦ ≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─ ━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋

Thanks for the reply.

I did send her the instructions for booting into safe mode so she can try rebuilding the databases, but I think she's going to try to empty her message inbox first and see if that clears things up. She has a lot of photos and music files on her PS3, and rebuilding the database will probably remove all of those files from any albums she has created, so she wants to avoid that if possible.

If I find out that the problem has been fixed either way I'll update the thread.

Message 3 of 3 (133 Views)
0 Likes