Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: Universal PSN Cards

Oct 3, 2012

U2crazy4me wrote:

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

I doubt seriously that it would work due to international currencies being so gravely different as well as global licensing issues and the ever present politics.

Not to mention a global currency card would only wind up being something blackmarketed and/or counterfeited pretty quickly.

2 summers ago there were Chinese vendors selling 50.00 PSN cards for 30.00 which was later discovered to be an elaborate credit card theft ring that was buying NA cards in bulk, and selling them for a lower price...which in turn was money laundering as well.

Also foreign currency exchange rates can change dramatically at the close of the bell of world stock trading markets so while it would be nice to see one day, its something chances are we wont ever see.

You make some valid points and as I said the difficult part would be the ability to keep pace with the exchange rates. But there wouldn't be any global licensing issues as this kind of thing is done all the time especially within a company that owns the rights to the product and is already registered in all regions they do business in and politics have nothing to do with it..

As far as others out there trying to run scams that is going to happen no matter what the system is, just as you pointed out.. But you are forgetting something I'm talking about being able to go to your local store to by the PSN Cards just like everyone does already they don't need to make a new card or anything of the kind, just keep using the same cards they have. You are more likely to get scammed using your credit card itself then anything else, so if you want to get your identity stolen keep using them it Will happen sooner or later.

And yes ALL exchange rates change on a daily basis but rarely is it 'dramatic as you state' that's only in exceptional times, not daily.. Even with that said it would still be cheaper and safer for the consumer in NA to fund say a JP account then to pay the higher rates on the cards sold online by 3rd and sometimes 4th party people selling them there. Cause not only can you possibly get scammed if you don't do enough research into who you are buying from but even if you do buy from a trusted sited you can still get your credit card data stolen by one of the many unscrupulous people out there..

You are right we may never see this happen but its not even close to being far fetched, its done all the time elsewhere (even Wallmart offers this service lol). All we can do is put it out there and ask and Hope they listen..

I think you misinterpreted HOW the credit card scam worked. It had nothing to do with Home itself. It was a very sophisticated Asian ring that acquired them on an international scale and BOUGHT PSN cards in bulk.

It doesnt matter whether you have a card here on file or not they got the cc numbers outside of Home and made the purchases and laundered the money by selling the cards at a reduced price.

Also whether youre aware or not...currently Japan and China are at all time high tensions right now and governmental cooperation for new licensing agreements is virtually at a standstill. Its gone to the point where there has been widespread looting and burning of stores in each other's respective areas. The media is keeping a tight lid on it and even Sony has changed the name of the factories in China where a great deal of the PS3's are actually manufactured to a less conspicous name being that they are a Japanese based company.

While it would be nice in theory as people have said here...dont bet the farm on this ever actually seeing the light of day.

Message 11 of 15 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1901 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

TSUNADE1224 wrote:
Brises_0000 wrote: Actually, registering a physical address that is not your own constitutes falsifying account information. And they "can" cancel an account for that. But I believe a mod once posted that they do not actively enforce any rules against region hopping. But I have also never seen it actively endorsed.

Ok,  I am trying to find where anyone said that they used a false address. I registered my EU and JP account with my actual address.  So I'm a bit confused as what's the point your trying to make.  As far as mods, they are there to make sure no one is stepping out of line.  A suggestion to have a universal psn card is not stepping out of line "Its a suggestion" I'm sure Sony is well aware that people like to get different region accounts and with good reason,  they have content that we don't have.  Mods don't need to endorse these Sony does and if they don't then someone is missing out on monies to be made from actively endorsing and or making a non-region psn card available to us all. 
Not to mention how we actively post on the forums tours of Japan spaces without repercussions and without the thread getting removed or reported. 

Um... I'm curious how you managed that. The Japanese registration process is in the Japanese alphabet. In HK you have to select a Hong Kong locality. Basically if you tell Sony you live in a foreign country and you do not, that is falsifying information.

And the text in blue addresses your other question.

Message 12 of 15 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

Oct 3, 2012

CMCSAVAGE wrote:

TSUNADE1224 wrote:
Ok,  I am trying to find where anyone said that they used a false address. I registered my EU and JP account with my actual address.

What????????....LOL. No you didn't. For an EU account you need to select a country that uses the EU server.

For a JP account there is an entry that requires a city code.

So unless you have a residence in Europe or Japan, then the info you provided was fake.

Actually yes you can use your NA address to register a JP or EU account as I've meet many people that have done so. The only problem I've heard about do that is that you then can't fund your accounts with that regions PSN Cards. Though I don't know how true that part is.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 13 of 15 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Miss_Ann_Thrope wrote:

OP: There’s absolutely no way to accomplish what you’re asking without Sony getting into the financial business, which they really do not do at all because of the intricacies of the financial markets (currency differences, interest rates, fluctuations, just to name a few). And for those not aware, those specialized “Sony” credit cards are not really handled by Sony but another bank. It would also no doubt add charges over and above what amount you bought the card because of the above complications. A Universal PSN card is a great idea in theory, but in practice its not really feasible.

Besides, there are actually legitimate vendors out there that sell PSN cards from other regions and will even email you the codes. You usually would get these in an email within a day tops. Yes, you would pay some premium over the amount due to fluctuations and the fact these people also need to make a living, but that’s understandable. Just beware that there are also a fair amount of scammers out there as well. Check with friends who use other region accounts, get reference and do diligent investigating and you should be okay.

If you knew anything about business then you would know that there is a way they could do this and most of it could be done quite easily the only tricky part for them would to make the system track the current exchange rate which I've already stated a few times now (maybe you should read everything clearly first).. And even though Sony doesn't run the aspect of the 'many' credit cards they offer (Capital One does the credit cards for them) they actually still are in the financial business just buy having that partnership. So they could easily use Capital One in their partnership to provide the exchange rate data that they would need. And all that you mentioned as far as currency differences, interest rates (which have no barring on this matter) and fluctuations are all normal business dealings that Sony themselves go through on a daily basis. And no it wouldn't add any charges over and above what's already there. My only suggestions to you and one other here that I will post to is that maybe you should learn for really (not by googleing) about how a business is run before you post your unfounded comments. I know its a great idea which is why I posted it and it is very feasible, its just a matter of whether Sony would implement it..

And I already know and have used the online venders to get Yen for my JP, so I as well as most people that have accounts in other regions already know about them, you're not saying anything new or news worthy there. In case you didn't know (I'm not going to go into a long winded thing on this) but even the ones that are trust worthy are actually selling these codes legally, as in they don't have the right from Sony to resell the cards. They are not buying them from Sony they go to the store just like you or I and buy a whole bunch then sell them online at a premium, which in a way is piracy and Sony if they wanted could go after them for doing so..

Message 14 of 15 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

Oct 4, 2012

ILLUMIN-X wrote:
I think you misinterpreted HOW the credit card scam worked. It had nothing to do with Home itself. It was a very sophisticated Asian ring that acquired them on an international scale and BOUGHT PSN cards in bulk.

It doesn't matter whether you have a card here on file or not they got the cc numbers outside of Home and made the purchases and laundered the money by selling the cards at a reduced price.

Also whether youre aware or not...currently Japan and China are at all time high tensions right now and governmental cooperation for new licensing agreements is virtually at a standstill. Its gone to the point where there has been widespread looting and burning of stores in each other's respective areas. The media is keeping a tight lid on it and even Sony has changed the name of the factories in China where a great deal of the PS3's are actually manufactured to a less conspicous name being that they are a Japanese based company.

While it would be nice in theory as people have said here...dont bet the farm on this ever actually seeing the light of day.

First off I'm not some little kid and no I didn't misinterpret how it worked or what you are talking about, an untrained monkey could understand it. The fact of the matter is it has no baring on the matter at hand IN ANYWAY.. Just cause you googled something and saw that PSN Cards were involved doesn't mean you know what you are talking about or an thing at all.. Not to mention you are/keep referring to China which has not agreed to or conform to any international trade agreements at all and are very open about that matter. They steal other company's : products, patients, trade marks, intellectual properties and so on at will and don't care. They have blatantly stolen car designs from company's to the point that they look identical to and even in some cases used the same name which 1 or 2 letters changed (which in any other country is highly illegal)  such as BMW, Bentley, Mini, Rolls Royce and many others. Those said company's tried to sue the company's in China for doing this but since the lawsuit's have to be filed in China and they don't care about or agree to the trade agreements they loose the case.. Another example with China would be a company there copied the iphone 5 and tried to file for patients on it in China then treated Apple that if they tried to sell their iphone 5 in China they would sue them.. So you are talking about an entire country that doesn't care about what they do. And again this matter has no barring on the matter because regardless if Sony offered a Universal card or not this type of thing would and does happen all the time anyway.

I don't care if you disagree with me, that's perfectly normal, but if you are going to do so. Do it with real knowledge not just something you learned from google that made you feel smart about something.. Just remember about 75% - 80% of all things on the internet are either false or misleading information, OH and all media outlets can be bought. So in other words go out in the real world and learn from hands on doing, don't just regurgitate what others have told you or what you've 'read' elsewhere'.. And before you ask or try to comment I do have hands on knowledge about the matter I brought up in the first place and how I know it is possible to do! Like I said to the other person here its just a matter of if Sony would be willing to do so..

So just a last thing what you are talking about here has nothing to do with or barring on the subject at hand. So please if you are going to post further to this discussion then stay on topic, thank you..

Message 15 of 15 (115 Views)
0 Likes