Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 03 2012
By: U2crazy4me Sackboy 355 posts

Universal PSN Cards

14 replies 525 views Edited Oct 3, 2012

This is more or less aimed for people that have accounts in other regions, as in JP and EU, as well as their NA account. It would be great to have a universal system for using a PSN Card, instead of having to get ripped of having to buy them from websites that not only do we have to pay more due to the weak dollar in the exchange rate but also cause they hike up the price for there profit. Basically what I'm suggesting is that We would be able to go to the store as normal and buy a regular NA PSN Card and be able to enter the code on any one of our accounts (NA, JP, EU), once entered it would automatically do the exchange rate adjustment according to the current exchange.. I know that this would be a little tricky for Sony to do in the case of having to make the system track current exchange rates. But with that said it would also most likely put a whole lot more money into their pockets, so it would be unwise from a business stand point to not do this. If it was done this way it would make it easier and far more affordable for people to fund there non NA accounts, and in turn would mean more people would spend money across all their accounts. I've personally talked to many people on their JP or EU accounts and all of them would like to buy items and spaces for said accounts but don't like the idea of for lack of a better word, get ripped off, buying from online and others either don't have a credit card or trust using a credit card online to order one from the various websites that offer other region's PSN cards. The other issue is some of the sites out there just like with anything else in this world have been know to just take peoples money and not supply the codes or send them bad codes.

I would like to see how all the other people out there with multiple regional accounts feel about this idea and maybe we can get the right people at Sony to take note that we'd like to see this idea implemented. Like I said it would be more affordable and safer for us and more profitable for them, so why not?! 

This would be a win win for Us and for Sony as well across the board.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (525 Views)
Welcoming Committee
9072 posts

Re: Universal PSN Cards

Oct 3, 2012
Sony wont be openly endorsing users outside of their region :/ Also: dont buy off shady websites :smileysad:
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (516 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Oct 3, 2012

I doubt seriously that it would work due to international currencies being so gravely different as well as global licensing issues and the ever present politics.

Not to mention a global currency card would only wind up being something blackmarketed and/or counterfeited pretty quickly.

2 summers ago there were Chinese vendors selling 50.00 PSN cards for 30.00 which was later discovered to be an elaborate credit card theft ring that was buying NA cards in bulk, and selling them for a lower price...which in turn was money laundering as well.

Also foreign currency exchange rates can change dramatically at the close of the bell of world stock trading markets so while it would be nice to see one day, its something chances are we wont ever see.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
355 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

smokingpistol wrote:
Sony wont be openly endorsing users outside of their region :/ Also: don't buy off shady websites :smileysad:

Actually YES they do which is why they made the PS3 the first system to be non regional, so that was their first step to supporting/endorsing users outside their region and that was done, oooh ummm geee last I checked 6 years ago. I appreciate your wanting to participate in the conversation but next time think before you type..

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
355 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

I doubt seriously that it would work due to international currencies being so gravely different as well as global licensing issues and the ever present politics.

Not to mention a global currency card would only wind up being something blackmarketed and/or counterfeited pretty quickly.

2 summers ago there were Chinese vendors selling 50.00 PSN cards for 30.00 which was later discovered to be an elaborate credit card theft ring that was buying NA cards in bulk, and selling them for a lower price...which in turn was money laundering as well.

Also foreign currency exchange rates can change dramatically at the close of the bell of world stock trading markets so while it would be nice to see one day, its something chances are we wont ever see.

You make some valid points and as I said the difficult part would be the ability to keep pace with the exchange rates. But there wouldn't be any global licensing issues as this kind of thing is done all the time especially within a company that owns the rights to the product and is already registered in all regions they do business in and politics have nothing to do with it..

As far as others out there trying to run scams that is going to happen no matter what the system is, just as you pointed out.. But you are forgetting something I'm talking about being able to go to your local store to by the PSN Cards just like everyone does already they don't need to make a new card or anything of the kind, just keep using the same cards they have. You are more likely to get scammed using your credit card itself then anything else, so if you want to get your identity stolen keep using them it Will happen sooner or later.

And yes ALL exchange rates change on a daily basis but rarely is it 'dramatic as you state' that's only in exceptional times, not daily.. Even with that said it would still be cheaper and safer for the consumer in NA to fund say a JP account then to pay the higher rates on the cards sold online by 3rd and sometimes 4th party people selling them there. Cause not only can you possibly get scammed if you don't do enough research into who you are buying from but even if you do buy from a trusted sited you can still get your credit card data stolen by one of the many unscrupulous people out there..

You are right we may never see this happen but its not even close to being far fetched, its done all the time elsewhere (even Wallmart offers this service lol). All we can do is put it out there and ask and Hope they listen..

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (485 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1520 posts

Oct 3, 2012

U2crazy4me wrote:

smokingpistol wrote:
Sony wont be openly endorsing users outside of their region :/ Also: don't buy off shady websites :smileysad:

Actually YES they do which is why they made the PS3 the first system to be non regional, so that was their first step to supporting/endorsing users outside their region and that was done, oooh ummm geee last I checked 6 years ago. I appreciate your wanting to participate in the conversation but next time think before you type..

Actually, registering a physical address that is not your own constitutes falsifying account information. And they "can" cancel an account for that. But I believe a mod once posted that they do not actively enforce any rules against region hopping. But I have also never seen it actively endorsed.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (476 Views)
Fender Bender
2865 posts

Oct 3, 2012
Brises is right. It's usually only a misdemeanour but they can cancel for that. Also this is not a Home specific topic and Sony will never centralize their cards just like MS don't with their MS Points. Different currencies, content and content laws

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: There is no new news to share at this time.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (427 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
3460 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 3, 2012
Brises_0000 wrote: Actually, registering a physical address that is not your own constitutes falsifying account information. And they "can" cancel an account for that. But I believe a mod once posted that they do not actively enforce any rules against region hopping. But I have also never seen it actively endorsed.

Ok,  I am trying to find where anyone said that they used a false address. I registered my EU and JP account with my actual address.  So I'm a bit confused as what's the point your trying to make.  As far as mods, they are there to make sure no one is stepping out of line.  A suggestion to have a universal psn card is not stepping out of line "Its a suggestion" I'm sure Sony is well aware that people like to get different region accounts and with good reason,  they have content that we don't have.  Mods don't need to endorse these Sony does and if they don't then someone is missing out on monies to be made from actively endorsing and or making a non-region psn card available to us all. 
Not to mention how we actively post on the forums tours of Japan spaces without repercussions and without the thread getting removed or reported. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (407 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5219 posts

Oct 3, 2012

TSUNADE1224 wrote:
Ok,  I am trying to find where anyone said that they used a false address. I registered my EU and JP account with my actual address.

What????????....LOL. No you didn't. For an EU account you need to select a country that uses the EU server.

For a JP account there is an entry that requires a city code.

So unless you have a residence in Europe or Japan, then the info you provided was fake.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (388 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
519 posts

Oct 3, 2012

OP: There’s absolutely no way to accomplish what you’re asking without Sony getting into the financial business, which they really do not do at all because of the intricacies of the financial markets (currency differences, interest rates, fluctuations, just to name a few). And for those not aware, those specialized “Sony” credit cards are not really handled by Sony but another bank. It would also no doubt add charges over and above what amount you bought the card because of the above complications. A Universal PSN card is a great idea in theory, but in practice its not really feasible.

Besides, there are actually legitimate vendors out there that sell PSN cards from other regions and will even email you the codes. You usually would get these in an email within a day tops. Yes, you would pay some premium over the amount due to fluctuations and the fact these people also need to make a living, but that’s understandable. Just beware that there are also a fair amount of scammers out there as well. Check with friends who use other region accounts, get reference and do diligent investigating and you should be okay.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (346 Views)
0 Likes