Highlighted
Jan 25 2012
By: Psikorps First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

Unable to purchase "free" content while PS+ member?

6 replies 43 views Edited Jan 25, 2012

Hope this is the right place to ask this...

My question is this...

As someone with PS+ (Been a member since day 1) I just realised that I am unable to purchase titles I got for free previously through PS+.

Now from one side it makes sence, so that someone does not accidently buy something they already have, but on the other side, it prevents someone from buying something that is on sale to retain ownership after their membership ends.

If for example someone had only a short time left on their PS+ subscription, and they wanted to take advantage of buying some titles that were discounted, but had recieved them previously for free (which they will lose once their membership expires) they can not buy them, as the only option in the PSN store is to download.

Is there a way around this? Or is a PS+ member simply screwed and loses the ability to take advantage of buying stuff thats on sale if they previously got it free, then has to pay full price again when their subscription expires as they were not allowed to take part in the sale? (which would significantly lower the value of PS+ in some peoples eyes)

*Not asking for myself, my PS+ sub is good for a long long time thanks to Xmas, but I have a couple family members that are close to having their current subs run out that brought this situation to my attention and I simply didnt know what to tell them*

Message 1 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Unable to purchase "free" content while PS+ member?

Jan 25, 2012

I don't think there is a way around that just using your current PSN ID. The only thing I can think of is to setup a new PSN account and purchase it on sale, and then activate that console for that game.

I suggest you call Sony customer support about this, but I doubt they will have any options for you...

Message 2 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Unfortunatly thats what I thought as well. Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7106 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Psikorps wrote:

If for example someone had only a short time left on their PS+ subscription, and they wanted to take advantage of buying some titles that were discounted, but had recieved them previously for free (which they will lose once their membership expires) they can not buy them, as the only option in the PSN store is to download.

I'm curious if you've seen this for all previously free games.  While I've never tried buying a "free" game, I only noticed it apply to items that are currently free.  For example, Hydrophobia Prophecy is on sale and was previously a free game and now on sale.  When I look in the store, it says $2.99, not free/download.  I'm not curious enough to try buying it though .  Either way, I agree that you should be able to buy it, but it is my impression that it would only be unavailable during its "free" preriod.

Message 4 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Unfortunatly its all of them. I tried with Hydrophobia as well.

Even long expired offers...Golden Axe for example was a freebie several months ago, when trying to purchase the game to use as a PS+ member only the option to download is given through the PSN store.

Both if you have the content on your PS3 or if deleted (including save data) no option to buy is given.

When pressing Triangle on the title when it is on your PS3 no purchase option is listed either.

I spent some time on the phone with Sony customer support today, it seems the way the system is designed, it does not allow someone to buy something they currently have "licence" to, so, if you download something for free, you get all the use you want out of that title for the duration you are a subscriber.

However, if that title goes on sale during your time as a subscriber, because the system has already given you licence to use that title, you are unable to purchase it.

The rep also told me to keep a eye on the PSN Blog for information about upcoming titles and possible sales/discounts, he said if there is a sale coming up down the road for a title I would rather own than rent (his words) it would be better to wait untill the title is no longer offered as a freebie. If you download the title once as a freebie, you get licence to download the title again as many times as you want as long as you have a active subscription.

By not downloading the title, and not getting it as a freebie in the download list, you then have the option of buying it.

Something to keep in mind I guess.

Message 5 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1250 posts

Jan 26, 2012

Kind of interesting because I noticed in the latest store thread that some folks where complaining that they could not take advantage of the Capcom bundle if they had previously purchased a game included in the sale (bundle).  The comments indicated that Sony fixed that problem, but maybe only for the Capcom games.

It would be nice if Sony gave you the choice - "... do you want to re-download this game that was previously downloaded ..." or "... would you like to purchase this game even though you have previously downloaded it for free ..."

Sony can't win because if they allow you to pay for a game that you previously downloaded for free, someone will press the wrong option and then complaints will spring up from here to Texas.  "... Sony is running a scam ... charging me for something that should be free ..."  Just saying.

Message 6 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10007 posts

Jan 27, 2012

if the free item is removed from the Plus section (as happens every month) and you go to the items location in the store, and click on it, you will get 2 options one is to download free with Plus (if you previously downloaded it) and the other option is to purchase it at the current price. at least I get these option when go to previous downloaded plus items.

Message 7 of 7 (43 Views)
0 Likes