MVP Support
4948 posts

Re: Umd to ps vita announcement

Nov 11, 2011

Hehe I guess you were writing while I read and edited my post.  My point is, the rewards program didn't use any kind of code.  When you use the game for the first time, Sony would know.  I don't know how, but they did; it seems you were not aware of that, which is understandable if you weren't part of the program.  The game would still work in any system of course, but it would only activate the rewards for that first time, and it didn't work with older games since those were "activated" before the program.

With this new UMD transfer system it would be just as easy for them to track since it would require you to sign in to the network in order to use it.  The only issue is whether the PSP has the same system of "unique" UMDs as is true for PS3 games, which I really don't know.

Naquiel wrote:

In the program sony is offering for umds is a mass amout of games that did not come with codes and no way of tracking on if the game is new or not, so the ony option they have is offering discounted downloads of the games that recognize you have atleast a copy of that game.

This bloded part (my emphasis) is the part I'm unsure of; as far as I knew, they didn't have a way of tracking PS3 games either.  The rewards program revealed that they did.

Message 11 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4948 posts

Nov 11, 2011

I didn't say anything about downloads, but clearly those are easier for Sony to manage this way.  The rewards program was for blu-ray games also, and they could track those.  By which I mean, it recognized if it was a brand new game or not.  The PS3 is newer, so it may be something they hadn't thought of with the PSP.  I'm not sure if the rest of your post was directed at me or not; I understand why it's not free.

Message 12 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 11, 2011

I expect bluray games come with serial numbers emedded on the disc or in the game code, were as UMDs do not or if they did a user could not get hold of it legally to write in on the form that they have to fill in for this program to work.

Message 13 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

JERM7 wrote:

Hehe I guess you were writing while I read and edited my post.  My point is, the rewards program didn't use any kind of code.  When you use the game for the first time, Sony would know.  I don't know how, but they did; it seems you were not aware of that, which is understandable if you weren't part of the program.  The game would still work in any system of course, but it would only activate the rewards for that first time, and it didn't work with older games since those were "activated" before the program.

With this new UMD transfer system it would be just as easy for them to track since it would require you to sign in to the network in order to use it.  The only issue is whether the PSP has the same system of "unique" UMDs as is true for PS3 games, which I really don't know.

As i said earlier, UMDs and any disc based games or content cant be tracked like downloads can. When the disc based games and content are made they cant be tracked unless a code of some sort is offered and used. Like say when getting the umd version of Modnation racers. The code you got says you bought the game new and have access to the servers. if you bought it used, borrowed, or rented the game and had no code you done have access to the servers. For the reward program your talking about still tracks you have played the content, it still dont mean you own the content unless it had some sort of code you had to add to your account to be recognized or somehow sony had incoded something special in each disc a code already to be recognized and auto links that disk to your account, other companies just supply a voucher with a code.

As for the umds deal yes you will have to be signed into the psn for this to happen and to recognize that you have a game, but you still have to pay for the download version at a discount. Umds dont have hidden codes in them to show it was paid for new or not. Sony charging money for this process is making it where they can now track who is getting the content and in download form control how the content is handled.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 14 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

JERM7 wrote:

Naquiel wrote:

In the program sony is offering for umds is a mass amout of games that did not come with codes and no way of tracking on if the game is new or not, so the ony option they have is offering discounted downloads of the games that recognize you have atleast a copy of that game.

This bloded part (my emphasis) is the part I'm unsure of; as far as I knew, they didn't have a way of tracking PS3 games either.  The rewards program revealed that they did.

Its not hard to recognize your playing a game especially if the game has trophies. Its only when you get other perks for said game that has any kind of monitary value is when the games will come with a voucher with a code you will have to attach to your account. Also the ps3 is mostly always hooked up to the internet for back and forth communication with the psn where the majority of psp are not.

Lets just say for now ether pay to get the downloads or not. Its the deal sony is offering for now in the best way they can deal with it so ppl dont abuse the system trying to get free games.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 15 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4948 posts

Nov 11, 2011

Naquiel wrote:

somehow sony had incoded something special in each disc a code already to be recognized and auto links that disk to your account

I guess we're both pretty active on the forums right now; you quoted an early version again .  This quoted part is exactly what I was trying to get through.  As I said, they did track the bluray disc PS3 games without having to enter any kind of code.  As CaptainHuggyface also pointed out, it is probably a code embedded in the disc somehow.  While it wouldn't surprise me if UMDs do not have this feature, I was merely suggesting that they might.

Message 16 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4948 posts

Nov 11, 2011

That makes sense.  I guess I'll need to fully RTFA next time, since I missed the part about manually entering the code

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

I expect bluray games come with serial numbers emedded on the disc or in the game code, were as UMDs do not or if they did a user could not get hold of it legally to write in on the form that they have to fill in for this program to work.

Message 17 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2924 posts

Nov 12, 2011

$7-$13? i'm guessing/hoping for games that are $5.99 the fee will be cheaper. then again those might just be JPN's numbers. Guilty Gear Judgement on PSN costs $5.99. it'd be rediculous if the fee for the UMD is $7. anyhow most of my psp games are UMD. guess i gotta pick my absolute favorites of the bunch that are supported by this if i decide i want to play them on Vita.

Message 18 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Nov 12, 2011

i don't mind paying $7 for a game i like. ( especialy when i got it at gamestop for $3-5 (about half the cost))

Message 19 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Nov 12, 2011

Interesting! I wonder if NA is getting this.

Message 20 of 24 (2 Views)
0 Likes