Nov 11 2011
By: submission44 Wastelander 758 posts

Umd to ps vita announcement

23 replies 105 views Edited Nov 11, 2011

Here's the answer to the question if sony will allow umd transfer to the Vita. Imo... ripoff.. But to be honest don't really care about psp games as much as Vita games.   http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-umd-passport-transfers-psp-games-for-a-price-215638.phtml        

Message 1 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6807 posts

Re: Umd to ps vita announcement

Nov 11, 2011

Well, it was obvious they wouldn't do it for free, unless they had a mail-in system (which would be better for us, but more work for them).  I think it may be a bit expensive, but since you keep the UMD it's not a big deal.  Still cheaper than buying the 2nd copy from the store.

Message 2 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

Well just like any option sony gives us it will be exploited and abused.

For example, somone can rent the games, pay the small or large fee for the download and return the game, or borrow the game from a friend. But this will still cost the customer to do this and the developers get some cash.

But what if its a UMD that you previously fully paid for? Well after you pay for the download version, you could trade or sell off that old umd game to replace some of the cash you paid for the download.

I say just look at the games and see that the newer and more popular games are going to cost alot, and the not so popular and really old games that ppl hardly play are going to be cheap.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 3 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 11, 2011

Another thing to note is that it will not be all UMD games, just the ones that already have PSN counterparts.

Message 4 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Another thing to note is that it will not be all UMD games, just the ones that already have PSN counterparts.

Yup, it will be a small list of games that developers chose to participate. So good luck getting a download of a game where the developer is no longer around. Sony has to do things legally and with proper contracts to provide content. This is a long and painfull process to bring content to the masses and that comes with a price.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 5 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 11, 2011

I was just thinking, this will work for the PSPgo as well for all those people who complained about having a UMD collection and kept their older PSPs to play them.

Message 6 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

I was just thinking, this will work for the PSPgo as well for all those people who complained about having a UMD collection and kept their older PSPs to play them.

Yup, but it will depend on if this feature will come to the US and how many games are on the list sony is giving the offer. Japan will have around 200 games to chose from.

If it does come here, and some of the games i like the most are offered, I will be glad to get the download version of said game to play on my psp go, psp 2000, and hopefully vita if i chose to get it (im still thinking about it). So depending on whats offered i might be able to sell or trade off my older psp's and just go vita and enjoy the downloads.

Message 7 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6807 posts

Nov 11, 2011

Maybe there's a way for them to track the individual copies of games used, allowing only 1 activation of each UMD.  I know with the PS3 they have some way of doing this, since the PS Rewards program (beta) would only reward you for brand new games.  If they don't have a way of doing that for UMDs, then that is probably accounted for in their pricing.

Naquiel wrote:

For example, somone can rent the games, pay the small or large fee for the download and return the game, or borrow the game from a friend. But this will still cost the customer to do this and the developers get some cash.

But what if its a UMD that you previously fully paid for? Well after you pay for the download version, you could trade or sell off that old umd game to replace some of the cash you paid for the download.

I say just look at the games and see that the newer and more popular games are going to cost alot, and the not so popular and really old games that ppl hardly play are going to be cheap.

Message 8 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

JERM7 wrote:

Maybe there's a way for them to track the individual copies of games used, allowing only 1 activation of each UMD.  I know with the PS3 they have some way of doing this, since the PS Rewards program (beta) would only reward you for brand new games.  If they don't have a way of doing that for UMDs, then that is probably accounted for in their pricing.

Naquiel wrote:

There is no way to track umds like sony can with downloads. DRM is used in 2 ways. Drm for downloads, sony is able to code into the content what devices the game will be able to be played on. As for umds, they are mass produced copies of the games on a read only disk so the drm for umds is that the disc can only be played in a umd reader. Umds cant have interactive codes to specificly encode for the device its played on like the downloads can. This is why you can play umds on almost any psp out there (minus the vita and psp go), where you can only play your paid for downloads on your registered psp's. Umds cant be tracked, so any game that will be used in this upcoming program will have to have a price tag for companies to get some sort of money to cover any borrowed or rented game used in the process.

See if sony made the process free it would mean everyone and their brother would share any and all games they had to get a free copy of games they didnt pay for. So this is sonys way of controling the content. Think of it like some of the newer games coming out with the pay pass. you get a game used or borrowed and you want to play all the content provided but you have to pay $5-$10 for that downladable content. Well the same rules apply.

But looking at copyright laws and contract laws, when going from one format to another it means you the customer has to reaquire a new license to play said content and will have to pay for said license, but at this point the developers want to earn some money in the process.

Message 9 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Nov 11, 2011

JERM7 wrote:

Ok, admittedly I didn't read everything you wrote (I'll try to come back later ) but I didn't say anything about downloads.  The rewards program was for blu-rays also, and they could track those.  The PS3 is newer, so it may be something they hadn't thought of with the PSP.

The problem is with reward programs, how do you track that the game is new or not and is paid for. Most movies and games can come with a code you input saying you paid for the content new to get the full features and in some cases of movies a digital download of said movie. In the program sony is offering for umds is a mass amout of games that did not come with codes and no way of tracking on if the game is new or not, so the only option they have is offering discounted downloads of the games that recognize you have atleast a copy of that game, be it new, used, rented, or borrowed. But this is where abuse can come in. any game that is used, borrowed or rented can be used which if it was free would be a legal version of pirating the games. Sony adding the cost to the transfer means the companies are ok offering the downloads and getting some compensation in return. Also the customer gets a new legal license to play said content on the psp, psp go, or vita which now can be tracked via the psn attached to your account. And again after you do the process, whats to stop you from selling off the game to somone else. Sony putting a price on the deal means the content is being paid for one way or another. Just like the bluray reward program, after you put in your code to get the reward and digital copy of said movie, what is stopping you from selling off the bluray disk after you got your rewards.

Does this help.

In the future if someone buys a umd and it comes with a code that offers a free copy of the download version, i say that would be great. The current deal to get umd games on the vita or other psp's as a download is after the fact that the game is not easily tracked and there is no way to tell if the game is new, used, borrowed or rented.

Message 10 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes