Reply
Splicer
Registered: 08/12/2005
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Jan 30, 2009

This seems to be a Playstation 3 hardware bug. If you Google search there are hundreds of people with the same problem.

 

I have the same problem. I have a WRT610N router, which replaced a WGR614 router. The PS3 is slow under both routers.

 

I'm a computer programmer and very skilled in networking. I have my own Linux server I custom built. Please don't insult my intelligence by telling me to "enable NAT 2 yo."

 

I found this interesting. These are PS3 wireless speed tests:

20,000 mbit/sec on copying a 17 meg MP3 file from my UPnP server on my local network

3000 mbit/sec on speakeasy.net internet test

 

Something with the PS3 + Internet routed packets = slow speeds. This is *NOT* a router issue. This is *NOT* an ISP issue. This is a PS3 issue. Either it's a bad network card driver (possible) or the wireless card.

 

edit: I forgot to mention that my Internet speed is rated 16mbit down. I can easily achieve this using the gigabit ethernet port on the PS3. Something in ths PS3 is capping speeds when the packets come from the internet on the wireless adapter.

Message Edited by daumas on 01-29-2009 08:00 PM
Message Edited by daumas on 01-29-2009 08:01 PM
Message 11 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 06/25/2008
Offline
2669 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Jan 30, 2009

pbflmizzle wrote:
Anyone? please? I forwarded the ports and everything, nothing helps, I've heard people say that the internet speed on their PS3 is even faster then the wired connection, so whats my problem can anyone help? I played multiplayer alot when I had my wired connection but I can't now because it will disconnect the Laptop and my dad uses the internet all the time. Power cycling dosn't help ether.

Don't do internet speed tests on the PS3 web browser.  It's virtually meaningless because that browser is made for mobile devices and has very slow flash/javascript so you will not get accurate results.  Just download a large file from the PSN Store and calculate the speed yourself.  Remember that the files are measured in KiloBytes/MegaBytes, not Kilobits/Megabits.  8 Bits = 1 Byte.

Message 12 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 02/14/2008
Offline
470 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Jan 30, 2009

CrayzeeCarl wrote:

pbflmizzle wrote:
Anyone? please? I forwarded the ports and everything, nothing helps, I've heard people say that the internet speed on their PS3 is even faster then the wired connection, so whats my problem can anyone help? I played multiplayer alot when I had my wired connection but I can't now because it will disconnect the Laptop and my dad uses the internet all the time. Power cycling dosn't help ether.

Don't do internet speed tests on the PS3 web browser.  It's virtually meaningless because that browser is made for mobile devices and has very slow flash/javascript so you will not get accurate results.  Just download a large file from the PSN Store and calculate the speed yourself.  Remember that the files are measured in KiloBytes/MegaBytes, not Kilobits/Megabits.  8 Bits = 1 Byte.


 

I been trying to tell people speedtest is inacurate for awhile now but nobody listens. 

 


pbflmizzle wrote:
Hi, I recently bought I router and when I first bought it and set it up to the PS3 it was working fine and I was getting normal download speeds (same speeds as the wired connection I used before the Router upgrade) but now (about 2 weeks after I bought the router) It goes so slow that If I press X on sign in, then go take a **bleep** in the bathroom and come back its still trying to sign in or it times out. Occasionally, I get a still bad but acceptable enough speed to browse the internet. I went on speedtest.net and tested both the laptop and the ps3 both in the same room, but the laptop was a little farther from the router. I got around 7500 on the laptop and a mere 811 kb/s download speed on the PS3, the upload speed was the same. This is extreamly **bleep**ing slow and I can't take this. Any suggestions?

 

Are you downloading anything or using torrents, downloading wont make it too slow, but torrents will slow your network down so bad you can barly sign in. Also make sure your router has proper wireless security, because people will connect to it and leech off your net, I have heard people say they "steal" unprotected wireless just to seed torrents.  Nat type has nothing to do with connecting to the psn nor does it make it laggy if its type 3. Only thing its good for is basically voice chat and ps eye.

 


daumas wrote:

This seems to be a Playstation 3 hardware bug. If you Google search there are hundreds of people with the same problem.

 

I have the same problem. I have a WRT610N router, which replaced a WGR614 router. The PS3 is slow under both routers.

 

I'm a computer programmer and very skilled in networking. I have my own Linux server I custom built. Please don't insult my intelligence by telling me to "enable NAT 2 yo."

 

I found this interesting. These are PS3 wireless speed tests:

20,000 mbit/sec on copying a 17 meg MP3 file from my UPnP server on my local network

3000 mbit/sec on speakeasy.net internet test

 

Something with the PS3 + Internet routed packets = slow speeds. This is *NOT* a router issue. This is *NOT* an ISP issue. This is a PS3 issue. Either it's a bad network card driver (possible) or the wireless card.

 

edit: I forgot to mention that my Internet speed is rated 16mbit down. I can easily achieve this using the gigabit ethernet port on the PS3. Something in ths PS3 is capping speeds when the packets come from the internet on the wireless adapter.

Message Edited by daumas on 01-29-2009 08:00 PM
Message Edited by daumas on 01-29-2009 08:01 PM

 

  Not trying to insult your intelligence but I have 4 computers and the ps3 on a 7mbit connection and my ps3 downloads great and only lagged once or twice on games. Speakeasy.net isnt gonna give correct results for the ps3s true speed, as the ps3 browser isnt exactly top notch compared to a computers browser. But hey you never know maybe some ps3s do have weaker ethernet adapters than others.

 

 

Message Edited by Mike_Feith on 01-30-2009 02:03 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------
Did you know that 360 degrees is a circle, nobody wants to go around in circles thats just dumb.





Seems like most M$ products end in DEATH. Red Rings of Death, Blue Screen of Death, Zune Logo of coma. HMMM.





Message 13 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 08/12/2005
Offline
80 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Jan 31, 2009

Mike_Feith wrote:

 

  Not trying to insult your intelligence but I have 4 computers and the ps3 on a 7mbit connection and my ps3 downloads great and only lagged once or twice on games. Speakeasy.net isnt gonna give correct results for the ps3s true speed, as the ps3 browser isnt exactly top notch compared to a computers browser. But hey you never know maybe some ps3s do have weaker ethernet adapters than others.
Message Edited by Mike_Feith on 01-30-2009 02:03 AM

 

Mike, please don't reply again unless you have something meaningful to say.

 

I plugged in my PS3 with my 1gb Ethernet switch with a CAT6 cable and ran the speakeasy.net test again. The >PS3 BROWSER< reported 13000 kbit download speed. There is nothing wrong with the PS3 browser.

If you are going to reply again, only do so after you have run the speakeasy.net test. Replying with "lol my downloads werk fine" is NOT a helpful response. We need hard facts. Hard numbers. Opinions have no room in this thread.
Message Edited by daumas on 01-30-2009 07:47 PM
Message 14 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/02/2007
Offline
1153 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Mar 29, 2011

Try connecting your PS3 directly to your cable modem and see what you get.

Message 15 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 01/22/2011
Offline
434 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Mar 29, 2011

GO TO NETWORK > CUSTOM > CHANGE DNS TO

8.8.8.8

8.8.4.4

-------

There are those who hate me, and those who truly despise me.
Message 16 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 03/28/2011
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Mar 29, 2011

this is a standard truobleshooting step, and I have done this many times.

To prevent silly responses... I am 43 years old. I have been q software engineer with boeing for 11 years. I was a Crypto Network for the USARMY for 6 years. Troubleshooting, and anyalytical problem solving is what I have done my entire life.

I appreciate the responses to the problem, but unless there is a solution that does not involve basic touble shooting steps, dont post.

Realistically we need a response from a sony engineer who can give better information relating to this problem. There are enough people who have the problem that it deserves the proper attention from sony.

Message 17 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 03/28/2011
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Mar 29, 2011

I rand a VuDu speed test (this is the most relaible method I can think of, and it makes sense beucase i watch VuDu movies). Before I changed DNS i got 1.3 Mbps down on vudu, check with laptop yielded 24Mbps. After changin8g DNS to 8888,8844 The same speed test got 1.1 on the ps3, and still 24Mbps on the laptop.

Seems DNS has nothing to do with it. Still not sure how DNS would effect streaming since, im not getting a DNS resolve error. But then again, im not a network engineer, so who knows.

Message 18 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 08/02/2007
Offline
1153 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Mar 29, 2011

1. I can't read your mind and know what you consider basic or not.

2. I don't remember you listing that "basic troubleshooting" step anywhere in your posts so again I can't read your mind to determine if you did it or not.

3. Doing what I instructed would determine whether it was a problem with your ISP or home network.

4. If this step is so basic, then when you did it and noticed no difference; you should have immediately figured out that this was a problem being caused by your ISP. But hey, I'm human therefore I can be wrong and make mistakes just like any other person.

You would be surprised how many people have had their seemingly complex issues with these "basic troubleshooting" steps.

My guess is that something with the way your ISP routes the PS3's traffic is the issue. You would be wasting your time calling Sony because all they do is read a script with solutions that would be useless in this case.

Here is a link to the support executives at charter. They will be far more useful in helping you get your issues resolved. Tell us how it goes. https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/charterdirect

P.S Did you ever try using your PS3 at a friend's house?

Message 19 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 03/28/2011
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: Ultra-Slow Internet speed on the PS3

Mar 29, 2011

Actaully your last solution was a good one, we tried that when i bought the slim and had the same problem. But the result was hard to interpret. he is on DSL and only a 5Mbps connection at that. Speed tests on vudu were consistant between the 3 systems, 1.5 to 2Mpbs, and again with the laptop on the same wireless connection 4-5Mpbs.

We have not tried his PS3 on my connection yet. However being that i have 2 systems seperated by several model number and design changes, it seems like the problem is either the latest software update, or ISP issues.

Sorry about the snippy reply earlier. And i agree with the basics, most people miss them. just seems like any time I post questions about this, the thread ends up being 5 pages long full of "basic" stuff.

So if the consensus is ISP, the next step would be to figure out what ISPs are doing it.

I am using Charter Cable

My friend has Quest DSL.

We both live in eastern WA.

Need to get more people to chime in on their ISP and location and see if its related.

The most bizzare thing about this, is the problem is not 100% consistant. Its more like 85 to 90%. Tonight I just watched a movie on VuDu on the PS3, full HDX (requires at least 8Mpbs solid) and it worked flawlessly.

The inconsistancy is what led me to beleive it was network congestion, but after trying the same content on a laptop and finding that the laptop had 0 issues 100% of the time.. I was forced to look elsewhere.

Its really a baffling problem.

Message 20 of 23 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes