Nov 18 2013
By: DJMadCow Uncharted Territory 1355 posts

Ultra SFIV: 5th Character Speculation

[ Edited ]
7 replies 452 views Edited Mar 11, 2014

Thought this might be a fun thread to start; there's been various info thrown around over the web regarding who the 5th character will be for Ultra SFIV due out next year (so far we know of Elena, Hugo, Poison, and Rolento). I thought I'd just list some of the stuff I found while combing thru various websites, interviews, and forum posts.

- the character is very much street fighter related and a capcom character

- has never been featured in a street fighter game before (unsure if this could mean as a playable character or not)

- this will be their first appearance in a fighting game (i.e. this is their debut)

- it is not Asura or box art cover Mega Man (apparently confirmed by Ono on twitter)

- this person is apparently someone "off the radar" whom ppl probably would not guess 

One idea circulating was that it could be Retsu, a character from Street Fighter 1 (I believe he was the first enemy you fight in the single player mode; although he was in the game, he wasn't a playable character so Ultra SF4 could be his actual "playable" debut in a fighting game). Here's a couple of pics (one from the SF comics) and a link to some info about him on the streetfighter wiki. Apparently he is a master of Shorinji Kempo and a friend to Gouken.

retsu.jpg

RetsuSF.jpg

sf comic.jpg

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Retsu

Apparently there was also a pic with alot of SF characters in the 25th Anniversary Artbook, where he was shown rather prominently in the background (found the image online which is shown below; Retsu is featured to the right of Ryu's head, kinda like Hugo on the left both in red). All the other characters in the image are in Ultra SF4, so this also fueled some speculation as to why he would be the only character shown in the image who seems "out of the loop."

25th anniversary artbook.jpg 

Anyway this is all just speculation. Only time will tell for sure, but thought this might be a fun discussion in the meantime. Any thoughts?

Edit: Added label & updated subject title. Want to learn more about labels? Click here! -Super_Nova2k13

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 1 of 8 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Re: Ultra SFIV: 5th character speculation

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2013

Has never been featured in a Street Fighter game probably means playable.

Retsu would be a cool addition.

Its most likely Goutetsu; Akuma and Goukens master.

I would like it to be Zeku Master to Guy.

Message 2 of 8 (442 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2699 posts

Nov 20, 2013

I would probably guess Dan Hibiki's father.  The last tournament stream I watched, people in chat kept throwing that name around.  

Go Hibiki is the name.  I had to look it up lol.  That would be my best guess at this point.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 3 of 8 (431 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Dec 15, 2013

Confirmed by Ono at Capcom Cup that it is not Retsu, Haggar or R. Mika. He stated the character is Female. 

Message 4 of 8 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1355 posts

Dec 16, 2013

SCORPYN702 wrote:

Confirmed by Ono at Capcom Cup that it is not Retsu, Haggar or R. Mika. He stated the character is Female. 

I see, hmmm... the plot thickens lol Smiley Very Happy

This is kinda a wild guess, but just throwing it out there since you mentioned female. What if it's Jessica (Mike Haggar's daughter and Cody's ex-girlfriend)? She and Cody basically separated when he went to prison since he couldn't give up fighting... maybe she got training from her dad to try to find him and set him straight. Kinda out there I know, but just trying to think outside the box.

Did another online search to see if there were other rumors circulating. One was that the character is from the UDON Street Fighter expanded universe and that the character's name corresponds to the name of a month of the year.

Some are speculating it could be one of the Shadowloo dolls (not Juli or Juni from SFA3, but one of the others in the comics); I believe some of their names corresponded to months of the year. Another suggestion I've seen out there was Gouken's daughter.

Anyway, this is merely speculation. Only time will tell, but thought I'd add to the discussion.

Try "Die for Olympus" in GoWA MP. Click sig to see how
Message 5 of 8 (380 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Dec 17, 2013

It doesn't matter if it is a male or female, the important is it would be a great game if they add more players.

Message 6 of 8 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2699 posts

Dec 26, 2013

I think Juli/Jun is a good guess.  Since in SFxT, one of the stages has a picture of the "dolls" on the billboard.  But then again, they said this "character" has never been a playable character before.

Since they mentioned its a female character.  It would be funny if it was Eliza.  Ken's wife lol.  Who knows, I'm totally stumped at this point lol.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 7 of 8 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
93 posts

Feb 28, 2014

But didn't Ono say that this female character is the character who hasn't been to a fighting game? If it's a female, I'm sure it's not Maki. It could be any female from Onimusha to Sengoku Basara, I don't know.

Message 8 of 8 (251 Views)
0 Likes