Oct 07 2012
By: wade03_- First Son 9 posts

USB Help Please!!

8 replies 94 views Edited Oct 7, 2012

I have been trying to download files online using a usb drive. I formatted it to FAT 32 and created a folder to hold files in. When I try to download something, i click on the icon with my drive's name on it. Then the folder i created shows up so i click on it thinking the download will begin. But instead it says,"there are no folders". If it says on the screen that its a folder, then why won't my Ps3 recognize it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 9 (94 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28456 posts

Re: USB Help Please!!

Oct 7, 2012

What files are you trying to download to it?

Message 2 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 7, 2012
Movies. The drive is new so its empty.
Message 3 of 9 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 7, 2012

If it's worth mentioning, i just downloaded a random picture and it worked. It even created it's own folder named "pictures". It just seems to give me video problems. What i'm trying to download is in wmv format, so that isn't the problem.

Message 4 of 9 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8171 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

wade03_- wrote:

If it's worth mentioning, i just downloaded a random picture and it worked. It even created it's own folder named "pictures". It just seems to give me video problems. What i'm trying to download is in wmv format, so that isn't the problem.

Did you activate WMV playback?

To play WMV format files, you must go to (Settings) > (System Settings) and set [Enable WMA Playback].

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

Message 5 of 9 (78 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Oct 8, 2012

Yes, playback is enabled. Thanks for the idea though. The problem seems to only be from the folder issue. Perhaps i'm supposed to have a second folder inside the original folder i created or something?

Message 6 of 9 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Oct 8, 2012

WMV is only a CONTAINER format...... the video might be encoded with a codec the PS3 does not support.....

happens to me all the time.... I have some container formats that the PS3 should not be compatible with, but because the codec is supported by the PS3, it will play it just fine

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 9 (58 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Oct 8, 2012

try pressing triangle on the flash dirve and select display all and it should be somewhere in there just look around all of the folders. 

Message 8 of 9 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6110 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

Reminder of the container formats that are eupported and the codecs allowed in those containers.

WMV ( or ASF as its original extension)

Video WMV9 only ( also called VC-1 and WMV3 )

Audio WMA2 only

Don't be fouled buy web sites not all sites give a direct link they can hide files behind html and java scripting these wont download as video files... 

SIEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester
I use Game Capture HD II to capture and upload videos on to youtube

Fix your 3.5mm headset mic issues with a solution....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Click Here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Message 9 of 9 (47 Views)
0 Likes