Dec 04 2012
By: Patrk13 First Son 11 posts

US PS3 or european PS3?

6 replies 120 views Edited Dec 4, 2012

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here at the moment that i'm hoping some of you could help me out with. Basically I live in ireland but am debating whether or not to buy a US ps3 or an irish ps3. I used to live in the states and have US paraphernalia e.g games, controllers, hdmi cable etc, and also many of my friends have US ps3s.A US ps3 would be significantly cheaper. Just wondering if any of you could answer these questions or give me any reccomendations id really appreciate it!!
1. Can US games work on an irish ps3 or vice versa? 2. Can I play against my american friends online if i have an Irish ps3?
3. Can i create an american PSN account and just log onto it on my irish ps3? 4. There are probably more american games available than european ps3 games, so should i go with an irish ps3? Please please tell me everything you think and don't hold back! i'm kind of leaning towards an irish ps3 as it would be less hassle with adaptors for plugs etc but it might be worth it in the long run to get an american one? thanks very much for any help yous can give me 

Message 1 of 7 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
479 posts

Re: US PS3 or european PS3?

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

Patrk13 wrote:

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here at the moment that i'm hoping some of you could help me out with. Basically I live in ireland but am debating whether or not to buy a US ps3 or an irish ps3. I used to live in the states and have US paraphernalia e.g games, controllers, hdmi cable etc, and also many of my friends have US ps3s.A US ps3 would be significantly cheaper. Just wondering if any of you could answer these questions or give me any reccomendations id really appreciate it!!
1. Can US games work on an irish ps3 or vice versa? 2. Can I play against my american friends online if i have an Irish ps3?
3. Can i create an american PSN account and just log onto it on my irish ps3? 4. There are probably more american games available than european ps3 games, so should i go with an irish ps3? Please please tell me everything you think and don't hold back! i'm kind of leaning towards an irish ps3 as it would be less hassle with adaptors for plugs etc but it might be worth it in the long run to get an american one? thanks very much for any help yous can give me 

1. Sure they can, PS3 games are region free. However, if you're buying a backwards compatible PS3, PS1 or PS2 games will have to be the same region code as your PS3.

2. I think that depends on the game and weather or not the servers are region locked. In most cases you should be able to play with anyone in the world.

3. Yes, but you need to input a US address, this is how the region is determined for PSN accounts.

4. It wont be an issue either way since PS3 games are region free. :-)

If it were me I would just go with the most convienent option if price isn't a significant factor.

Message 2 of 7 (112 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 4, 2012

3. Can i create an american PSN account and just log onto it on my irish ps3?

Sorry, I don't know much about the other stuff, but...

I did have a friend on PSN that went on vacation, he used his friends PS3 to log into PSN and PS Home, and to play some games. He told me that when he got back his account was "flagged" and it took him several days and emails to get his account back and open. I don't know if Sony flagged it because they thought it was a hacked account, or maybe they thought that he had given somebody else his login info so they could get certain rewards/beat certain games/etc. (I guess that could get you banned from PSN?). On the other side of it, I know of several people that have multiple accounts in different regions, and they haven't had any problems. Anyway I hope that helps with your decision.

Message 3 of 7 (109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Thanks guys! think i'll go with the irish one so. one more question i forgot to ask,

1. If i want to bring my european ps3 to the states, what kind of adaptor would i have to use? likw whats the difference in voltage does anyone know? would i have to get a special adaptor that alters the amount of electricity going in or just your regular plain standard one that costs like 10$ in an airport?

Message 4 of 7 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
479 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Patrk13 wrote:

Thanks guys! think i'll go with the irish one so. one more question i forgot to ask,

1. If i want to bring my european ps3 to the states, what kind of adaptor would i have to use? likw whats the difference in voltage does anyone know? would i have to get a special adaptor that alters the amount of electricity going in or just your regular plain standard one that costs like 10$ in an airport?

I'm not sure about what voltage you would need, but you will definately need some type of power adapter. What I can tell you for sure is that you may have compatibility issues with TV's in the US. European PS3's and HDTV's display at 50hz where as US PS3's and HDTV's display at 60hz. This presents a bit of a problem. There are some TV's that display 50hz and 60hz but traveling with a TV is much more difficult than traveling with a PS3.

If there's a Radio Shack equivalent in Europe I'd ask them about voltage adapters and maybe see if there are display adapters also. Hope this helps some.

:-)

Message 5 of 7 (90 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Patrk13 wrote:

I don't know what PS3 model you have, but unless you own the CECHC or CECHG models, you don't need an power adaptor at all since most PS3 models have universal power supplies.

You can see a chart of power supplies here: http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Power_Supply

You may need to by an adapter for the physical plug itself...

Message 6 of 7 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

Great advice, thank you all very very much. much appreciated Smiley Very Happy

jus oneeee last thing haha if yous dont mind

So basically the only downside of having an american accoutn with pal games is the DLC won't work? but i will still be able to play online if i have an american account logged into a pal system with a pal game. or am i getting things confused.
would you mind letting me know if any of these work/dont work online.
1.pal PS3 pal account, ntsc game 2. pal PS3 american account, ntsc game
3. pal PS3, american account, pal game

Message 7 of 7 (69 Views)
0 Likes