Dec 20 2012
By: TheDster Gaming Beast 2195 posts
Accepted Solution

UPNP, What is it, and do i need it??

5 replies 118 views Edited Dec 20, 2012

I just got a new internet service and connected my ps3 to it and it says UPNP is unavailable??  What does it do and do i really need it?  I seem to be streaming fine, from my computer to the ps3 thru this router/modem.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 1 of 6 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5049 posts

Re: UPNP, What is it, and do i need it??

Dec 20, 2012

¤ Short for Universal Plug and Play, a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment

Playstation PlusPlatinum Trophy  PSN ID: SpoolnBad                              Add Me On FacebookPSN ID: SpoolnBad"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you ... he rubbed you. And rubbin', son, is racin'." -- Harry Hogge
Message 2 of 6 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Do i need it to say its available if everything seems to work proper?

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 3 of 6 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5049 posts

Dec 20, 2012

¤ No, if everythings working properly for what you use it for then I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's not broke, don't fix it :smileyhappy:

Playstation PlusPlatinum Trophy  PSN ID: SpoolnBad                              Add Me On FacebookPSN ID: SpoolnBad"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you ... he rubbed you. And rubbin', son, is racin'." -- Harry Hogge
Message 4 of 6 (91 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7724 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 20, 2012

UPNP = Auto-Port Forward

It's a set of instructions that the Ps3 sends to the Router, then the router forwards the requested ports to the PS3. Note that this doesn't work all the time, other devices and apps on your PC may send UPNP requests that take away the needed ports from your PS3.

If you have NAT Type 2, or manually forwarded your ports, or manually DMZ'd your PS3, you don't need this.

Message 5 of 6 (89 Views)
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Dec 20, 2012

can you give me some examples of what may use upnp?

Message 6 of 6 (87 Views)
0 Likes