Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

Re: New PS3 Slim model pictures leaked... Top loading drive

Jul 15, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

It does seem that the 16GB version of the PS3 will compete directly with the 4GB X360, and will likely sell at the same price. So this version shouldn't be more than $200, hopefully a lot less...

Edit: It is believed that the 16GB version may be flash memory and not a HDD, since I don't believe they make HDD that small anymore, and the 16GB version may be as cheap as $150...

I also believe the 16GB is flash...  I really think this unit is for those that are going to upgrade the HDD right from the start; Sony is saying here's the PS3(at a substantial discount) with minimal storage, and you provide the HDD of your choice.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 41 of 77 (360 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jul 15, 2012

presumably the 16gb model will be the more cost effective choice for those looking to use the PS3 a blu ray player as opposed to a games console, and for those who are fully content to source their hard drives independently ...... not raking up a system wars issue but if  the xbox 360 was intended to be microsoft's trojan horse for taking over your living room, is the 16gb model a subtle return of serve from sony? .......

Message 42 of 77 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
434 posts

Jul 16, 2012

I knew this thing was coming out eventually, it was inevitable. Not a moment too soon either because my four and a half year old fatboy finally croaked about a month ago and I'll be in the market for a replacement.

The look is debatable but isn't really my concern, I'm not going to be looking at that while I'm playing I'll be looking at the T.V. I'm actually more interested in what they did with the guts. I read last year around this time that they planned on skipping the 32nm process of chips completely and going straight to 28/22nm (hence why the 3000 series PS3 didn't move to a smaller process last year).

It could be a 32/28nm duo or a they both could potentially be combined to a single chip. The new power supply is 190w max and with the significant size reduction/redesign to the outer chassis there's just no way they didn't do a die shrink unless they figured out some new and awesome cooling method that no-one has ever seen before...which I doubt.

I predict the 16gb model coming with flash storage, as a cheap gimme for average Joe/Jane who just want to use it for blu-ray, streaming, and to play the occasional game.  Or for those of us who want to do our own hard drive upgrades and save a few bucks. The HDD models will probably just follow the same routine.

(A) PS3 16gb - $149.99

(B) PS3 250gb - $199.99

(C) PS3 500gb - $249.99

(C-2) PS3 500gb w/Move - $299.99

Message 43 of 77 (308 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 16, 2012
I certainly hope that this new PS3 has a smaller dye sized chips, that will certainly help in lowering the cost of this system...
Message 44 of 77 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Cascadien wrote:
Then its time to stockpile, there's only one PS3 in my book... CECHA-01!!!

exactly!!!

on another note my CECHA-01 died on Saturday Smiley Sad

i better get the current slim model becasue the newest design is definitely disgusting.

Message 45 of 77 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: New PS3 Slim model pictures leaked... Top loading drive(just as speculated)

Jul 16, 2012

MadBullBunny wrote:
Looking at it again and remember sony's ways of taking short cuts. It looks more like a power button and I think sony maybe possibly cut out LED lights altogether. Or maybe the buttons light up.

LED lights are not costly AT ALL...... less than $0.10 for small LEDS like that and they take less than 1watt of electricity.

Im going out on a limb here and say that its possible the Motherboard with contain everything on it and not have 1, 2 or even 3 separate logic boards for the Wifi, on/off/eject switch.

As for 16Gb..... perfect for me.

I just wonder if the firmware that will release when this comes will finally enable support for a wide range of file systems. Im entirely sick of using the archaic FAT32 format..... Media Servers/DLNA is quite cumbersome and takes forever and a day to transfer to the PS3 for files larger than 4Gb... and I have well over 30 HD movies that are between  6 and 10Gb

Furiously Chaosing
Message 46 of 77 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Hitthelights2287 wrote:

I knew this thing was coming out eventually, it was inevitable. Not a moment too soon either because my four and a half year old fatboy finally croaked about a month ago and I'll be in the market for a replacement.

The look is debatable but isn't really my concern, I'm not going to be looking at that while I'm playing I'll be looking at the T.V. I'm actually more interested in what they did with the guts. I read last year around this time that they planned on skipping the 32nm process of chips completely and going straight to 28/22nm (hence why the 3000 series PS3 didn't move to a smaller process last year).

It could be a 32/28nm duo or a they both could potentially be combined to a single chip. The new power supply is 190w max and with the significant size reduction/redesign to the outer chassis there's just no way they didn't do a die shrink unless they figured out some new and awesome cooling method that no-one has ever seen before...which I doubt.

I predict the 16gb model coming with flash storage, as a cheap gimme for average Joe/Jane who just want to use it for blu-ray, streaming, and to play the occasional game.  Or for those of us who want to do our own hard drive upgrades and save a few bucks. The HDD models will probably just follow the same routine.

(A) PS3 16gb - $149.99

(B) PS3 250gb - $199.99

(C) PS3 500gb - $249.99

$149 is a bit hard to swallow, that would simply mean Sony is selling the console AT COST.

The PS3 is in a state where Sony is making a small profit from each PS3 sold thus far.

I'd predict that the 16Gb(or it could be a 160Gb) would still be priced at $199 or a few bucks less, like say $189 and a 250/500 would be $249.

Atfer all, these hdd's are DIRT CHEAP these days on retail shelves and practically being given away when sold at wholesale.We already have 1Tb drives that are less than $100 that will fit in the PS3.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 47 of 77 (272 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 16, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

MadBullBunny wrote:
Looking at it again and remember sony's ways of taking short cuts. It looks more like a power button and I think sony maybe possibly cut out LED lights altogether. Or maybe the buttons light up.

LED lights are not costly AT ALL...... less than $0.10 for small LEDS like that and they take less than 1watt of electricity.

Im going out on a limb here and say that its possible the Motherboard with contain everything on it and not have 1, 2 or even 3 separate logic boards for the Wifi, on/off/eject switch.

I just wonder if the firmware that will release when this comes will finally enable support for a wide range of file systems. Im entirely sick of using the archaic FAT32 format..... Media Servers/DLNA is quite cumbersome and takes forever and a day to transfer to the PS3 for files larger than 4Gb... and I have well over 30 HD movies that are between  6 and 10Gb

Sony is already doing this with the current Slims, I believe the current model even has the BD drive board integrated onto the motherboard...

Message 48 of 77 (257 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 17, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Hitthelights2287 wrote:

(A) PS3 16gb - $149.99

(B) PS3 250gb - $199.99

(C) PS3 500gb - $249.99

$149 is a bit hard to swallow, that would simply mean Sony is selling the console AT COST.

The PS3 is in a state where Sony is making a small profit from each PS3 sold thus far.

I'd predict that the 16Gb(or it could be a 160Gb) would still be priced at $199 or a few bucks less, like say $189 and a 250/500 would be $249.

Atfer all, these hdd's are DIRT CHEAP these days on retail shelves and practically being given away when sold at wholesale.We already have 1Tb drives that are less than $100 that will fit in the PS3.

2009-12-11_PS3.jpg

Above is a chart detailing the estimated cost of the original PS3 Slim model that came out a few years ago. I'm going to estimate that now it is costing Sony about half that amount, using whatever cost saving refinements that are in the 4000 PS3. Based on that I estimate a ~$140 manufacturing cost. So I can see it being possible to sell the 16GB version for $150, but I agree it won't be more than $200.

I disagree that HDD have gotten cheaper, they actually have been more expensive with the shortage, due to flooding in Thailand. I think prices are starting to come down again now, but it isn't to the point where it was last year.

Message 49 of 77 (255 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

Jul 17, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

MadBullBunny wrote:

Everything tacks on. The less there is, the more sony would save. Doesn't matter how little and cheap it is, it adds up. Just like the old pinto's could've been fixed by a simple cheap $1 piece of plastic, but ford decided not too because it would've been cheaper to settle with the lawsuits then adding the fix. 

Message 50 of 77 (248 Views)
0 Likes