Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: New PS3 Slim model pictures leaked... Top loading drive

Jul 14, 2012

Its the eject button that bothers me..... Im thinking its going to be a flip top.

But because we're letting imaginations still run wild until we get Official announcements....... Would it be too far off the wagon to say that the drive actually RISES from the unit?

To doesnt look to have any direct mechanism to be a traditional flip top, and if it was a sliding top it would probably be a mechanical slide mechanism or a simple "pop lock".

I definitely buying this when it releases and getting rid of my 80Gb. I like the looks of it, matches my Bose stereo system very well

Furiously Chaosing
Message 21 of 77 (512 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: New PS3 Slim model pictures leaked... Top loading drive

Jul 14, 2012
I tend to agree, examining it seems that the hinge for the drive would be in the middle of the system, and the door swings up and to the left....
Message 22 of 77 (502 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: New PS3 Slim model pictures leaked... Top loading drive(just as speculated)

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2012

ThePunisher wrote:

Artist rendering based on blurry pics

IGt9j.jpg

This artist rendering seems to be missing a power button, I think insteed of the blue and green leds, there is a power button there with a single red led.

I didn't see any wifi or HD indicators on the original photo (but they were blurry), but I doubt the wifi indicator is making a return since it was removed from the 3000 model.

Also it isn't clear that the HDD plugs into the front of the unit (based on the original photo). It could just as easily plug into the right side of the machine (an angle not yet seen).

Message 23 of 77 (501 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Jul 14, 2012

I wonder if there was mention of wireless -n capability?

Message 24 of 77 (493 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 14, 2012
It definately is not wireless n capable. The FCC report only states b & g compatiblity...
Message 25 of 77 (490 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2012

It looks ugly, in my opinion. I think the disc cover moving to the left is weird. It would have looked better if it looked more like the PS2 slim. I wonder how much power it uses. 

Message 26 of 77 (484 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 14, 2012
Some people on NeoGaf believe there wasn't a dye shrink in this model so the power is about the same as the Slim 3000.

We really won't know for sure about anything, including how the drive door works until the unit is being sold.
Message 27 of 77 (470 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2012

if it slides to the left that would definately be different, i think that is what it is going to do because the left peice is lower allowing the other peice to slide over it.

I think a smooth top with a piece lifting up was more of what i was thinking in terms of looks but again i would have to see it in person.

Message 28 of 77 (463 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 14, 2012

BestBobby wrote:

if it slides to the left that would definately be different, i think that is what it is going to do because the left peice is lower allowing the other peice to slide over it.

I would have to see it in person but i think a smooth top with a piece lifting up was more of what i was thinking in terms of looks.

On the other hand the drive door could just be a little thicker than the rest of the unit. I have never seen a simular device that uses a sliding door.

I think the fact that the system does have an eject button on the front IMO means that the door opens up, and not slide over...

Message 29 of 77 (456 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 14, 2012

I think it does slide because the left side is lower allowing room for the right side to slide over i see what you are saying but if that was the case then i dont think it would look how it does maybe the eject button unlocks it allowing it to slide.

Message 30 of 77 (454 Views)
0 Likes