Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 01 2012
By: Tim81DE Wastelander 844 posts

UMD Passport

8 replies 418 views Edited Oct 1, 2012

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/why-the-umd-passport-program-isnt-coming-to-north-america-2012022...

First time I'd ever heard of it, though it sounds like this is staying in Japan. Any talk lately from Sony about this?

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (418 Views)
Survivor
2462 posts

Re: UMD Passport

Oct 1, 2012
There won't be any talk, what you read in that article (which as you may've realized is from February) was all that was ever said about why the Passport program will never make it outside of Japan~/
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2602 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Sounds about right. Now I can totally see why the UMD Passport isn't coming to the West.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (357 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1151 posts

Oct 1, 2012
Yep that about sums it up

Just got a PS3! Add me for some online action
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1578 posts

Oct 1, 2012
that does suck monkey nutz. i dont want to repurchase so im not going to. psp go owners are ok with this not happening.
http://uspgc.webs.com

#1XBOX #2 PSV #3 ps3 thumbs down. Shoo fly don't bother me!
AlbaTron209 EST.1985
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Oct 1, 2012

AlbaTron209 wrote:
that does suck monkey nutz. i dont want to repurchase so im not going to. psp go owners are ok with this not happening.

well you would have to pay anyway. the UMD Passport program you have to pay to get the games. you do not get any games free. you only get a discount. not many owners would do that. (not many owners have done it in japan.) it would of never kicked off.

most people think you would get a free game with this program. when in fact you would have to pay again for every game.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Oct 2, 2012

But this makes perfect sense. Other than  a very few people many of us wouldn't even bother paying the fees for the transfer. While it is disappointing for many gamers I do not only blame SONY on this. In fact, we are all to blame here. SONY failed to make a good name out of the PSP which is why we rarely got new games. And us US gamers barely gave support to the devs.

I mean how many of us have hacked our PSP system? (Not promoting it; and no one needs to confess)

Quite frankly this idea is not a bad one but the charges to transfer make sense too because it could have something to do with the developers asking for some sort of deal through the transfer program (just a theory not a fact). Regardless of the outcome I do not fully blame SONY on this. I hate to say it but we kind of screwed ourselves in all of this. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (254 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1084 posts

Oct 2, 2012

I didn't think they would bring the transfer system to us. But I was hoping they might come up with a game card system like when you buy a downloadable game at gamestop. We could trade the same game umd in for the downloadable version of it on psn. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to come up with a program to key the game in on a card from sonys site. Or just have the game on a card at gamestop and give a discount when you trade in the umd. Mabe a 7 dollar discount or something on a 20 dollar game. 5 dollar on a 15 dollar game. It would pull more people in for games at retail places and sony would still make money because I for one would buy all my psp games again if I could git some kind of discount for doing it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (233 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Well i for one dont not care that they havent released the umd passport system although i would have used it a lot but i would atleast appreciate it if they could release digital versions of the more popular games of america they have games that i know where only popular in japan and games i've never even heard of.... and not to say it was extremely popular or anything but i wish i could get the kingdom hearts games even if i had to pay $50-60

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes