Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Re: UMC

Jan 27, 2011

Ha!

"During the PlayStation Meeting 2011 press conference, the company briefly introduced a "new game media" format, a flash memory-based card on which retail titles will be sold (replacing the clunky, power-sucking UMD). These SD-looking game cards -- said to be proprietary -- will feature extra storage for relevant data, including games saves and add-ons."

EXACTLY what I proposed in this thread during the time last year when the rumors of a flash based format were rampant. I'm excited! Being able to keep saved games and such on the game itself is awesome.

(BTW, I know this is a few month old thread, just the news today makes it kinda relevant.)

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Message 111 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 27, 2011

I wouldn't take all the credit if I where you. I'm still around, didn't you know?

Message 112 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Jan 28, 2011

Ok...

I'm not taking credit for it.

I'm just glad it's actually true.

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Message 113 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 29, 2011

I'm also really excited. This is a tremendous move. Personally, this is as big a move as dual analog sticks but, in a different respect.

Here's an official quote from Sony officials,

"Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card."

"By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games."

The tiny form factor of the medium, the fact it is flash, and the fact users can add game saves and DLC really is great.

Not to say Sony stole my idea (although, obviously . . . ), this was my original statement regarding my vision for the future physical medium,

Wakefulness wrote:

I'd like to see Sony push their own line of psp2 with two microSD readers and a encrypted microSD line of cards that they hand out to developers (as the default physical gaming media). It's tiny, will be enrcyption backed, really simple to get your hand on from a manufacturer for a regular microSD, and it will mean there is still something you can buy at the game store.

It would also be a really neat feature if you could plug in your psp2 and, if you have special software, it can read the slot dedicated to the encrypted MicroSD (with the game) and scan it and manage all that stuff (i.e. delete, sort, scan the web for newer add-ons, etc) so, theoretically, you wont need ever need to have to place new monster hunter DLC into any place other than the encrypted microSD its self (assuming that the capacity of the memory isn't already suprassed) . . .

So, say the default “encrypted” MicroSD card given out by sony to all devs/publishers is 8gb at launch. One game may be developed that only uses 4.5GB, meaning, there will be (approximitaly) 3.5Gb left. Due to this encryption in the MicroSD, this extra 3.5gb will not be able to be used for placing your mp3's or any sort of files you would normally place into a MicroSD card, instead, (if you have it) there will be special software (on the PC) that may read the encrypted slot, verify this specially encrypted card, assure what game it is reading, match the sequence of numbers that are in the PSN library DB (DataBase), and say "do you want to add/assort/delete DLC from this game?" Giving you the choice of what you want to do with DLC, if there is any in the DB url reference library. Of course, the DLC will also be able to be saved and be functional in whatever other memory you may have. And, of course, you can always download the content in the game itself, using the games DB url references.

In my specifications, I built the psp2 to have internal memory (ranging from 16-32-64gb) and a unencrypted (or plain) MicroSD slot that scans for encryption which will not play or make readable "enrypted" Micro data, and a secondary "encrypt safe" MicroSD slot which will only read encrypted data and can be used in-compliance only with special software to "add/assort/delete" downloadable content from the people who encrypted the MicroSD (by which I mean the game company).

I think this is much more ideal than a never re-writable UMD format that is currently out. I can't imagine a company such as Capcom wanting to develop a large game for the psp2 that Capcom realizes will need DLC sometime after release and, have their consumer assume they will have the 500mb available for DLC in order to play an add-on . . .

Of course, this "encryption" will mean extra investment by Sony in the MicroSD technology like in previous memory cards (i.e. ms pro-duo); totally ditching the UMD by the time PSP2 arrives. This isn't a change that is completely out there though. Remember, Sony choose for the PS1&2 to use the best and most capable form of technology to place their games on so, they chose the CD-ROM. Now, for a portable system, they have the ability to use this technology which is the best standard for holding memory and retains a portable form factor. So, it's good thinking now and going into the future for Sony PlayStation to invest tech into the MicroSD.

It was pretty recently when I wrote that (back in June 2010). I think I just had in mind a format to appeal to everyone who would lose their beloved UMD format and wanted something more. Something not so uncomfortable to use, either. We will see if the CD software I wanted comes in the NGP package. I imagine Media Go type software options can be expanded to meet the demand of handling game card content.

Message 114 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2966 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Out of the news of a different media format, im tickled pink, but i know one person that will not like any of this news and you know who that is. I will give you a hint...its the one person that really did not like me and was a very big umd supporter.

Everyone has their own opinion. The people you interact with in a community come from all walks of life, many different religions and beliefs, different family income levels, different points of view on many of today's hot topics of discussion. In a nutshell, each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. Discussion about it is the best thing to do, after all that's what communities are for. If it turns into some kind of sparring match, agree to disagree and move on.
Message 115 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 29, 2011

Naquiel wrote:

Out of the news of a different media format, im tickled pink, but i know one person that will not like any of this news and you know who that is. I will give you a hint...its the one person that really did not like me and was a very big umd supporter.

Tickled Pink?

Message 116 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
719 posts

Jan 30, 2011

I know who you are talking about. lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vita games: 35
Message 117 of 117 (16 Views)
0 Likes