Oct 27 2013
By: HWGuy14 Fender Bender 3334 posts

Two questions about the ps4

[ Edited ]
8 replies 284 views Edited Oct 27, 2013
1. Will it support other os? Like the ps3 did with Linux before they screwed it over. If so, what os?

2. What is the clear logical reason the ps4 can't play ps3 disks. I mean it is the same format. Blu ray. Am I missing something here? Or is it. Marketing tactic to get you to re buy your games through this gAiki thing
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 9 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
62 posts

Re: Two questions about the ps4

Oct 27, 2013

No idea on the os question but it would be awesome if it did!

On question 2, it is not a Gaiki marketing thing. Yes the PS4 blu ray drive could read the PS3 blu ray disk. In the same way you can read a book, in Sanskrit. It wouldn't know how to process the info. Basically, the cell doesn't speak x86. At least that is what I'm led to believe. 

There are some really tech savy people around here that could explain it better or more accurately I'm sure. My main point is that its not a marketing thing or a scam. It's a tech thing.

Message 2 of 9 (272 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Oct 27, 2013

Not sure about the OS question. It never mattered to me b/c between my iphone and my laptop I have no reason to surff online w/ my console.

As far as playing PS3 games it does not matter that they are both blu ray disc's. What it comes down to is the processor in the PS4. The PS3 had the Cell Processor which was very unique and not a mainstream processor that is typically used for a game console. As far as the PS4 goes it has a  x86-64 AMD “Jaguar” which is more of a mainstream PC component. In theory could they make it so that the PS4 would play PS3 games...yes, but not at the current price the system is at. The PS4 would cost upwards of probably $600 or more to make it so that the PS4 processor could recognize and play games from the PS3 which were built to be played off a cell processor. In doing so Sony loses the advantage of price over the XB1, or would at least make it even. 

The Gaiki service is meant to remedy this and make it so we can still pay PS3 games although pricing and games that will be available at the start of the service in 2014 have not yet been released. While there are deep technical reasons for why the PS4 wont play PS3 games all you really need to know is that the processors between each system are just to different and far apart in that aspect for it to be possible. 

Message 3 of 9 (213 Views)
MVP Support
39998 posts

Oct 27, 2013

HWGuy14 wrote:
1. Will it support other os? Like the ps3 did with Linux before they screwed it over. If so, what os? No.

2. What is the clear logical reason the ps4 can't play ps3 disks. I mean it is the same format. Blu ray. Am I missing something here? Or is it. Marketing tactic to get you to re buy your games through this gAiki thing It's a PS4 not a PS3, you want to play PS3 discs get  a PS3.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 9 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Oct 27, 2013

HWGuy14 wrote:
1. Will it support other os? Like the ps3 did with Linux before they screwed it over. If so, what os?

2. What is the clear logical reason the ps4 can't play ps3 disks. I mean it is the same format. Blu ray. Am I missing something here? Or is it. Marketing tactic to get you to re buy your games through this gAiki thing

1. No. Why would you do it anyways? if you want a $400 PC then buy a PC. This is a gaming console

2. The main reason is that the architecher of the PS3 and PS4 are VASTLY different. the Cell Broadband processor is 8cores running at 3.2GHz with 1ppe and 6SPEs, this was in the PS3. Now the PS4 has a semi-custom AMD x86-64 APU running at possibly 1.6GHz

those things make backwards compatibility near impossible

Message 5 of 9 (186 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10991 posts

Oct 27, 2013

jimjamss- wrote:

On question 2, it is not a Gaiki marketing thing. Yes the PS4 blu ray drive could read the PS3 blu ray disk. In the same way you can read a book, in Sanskrit.

Simplest, most effective (and correct) analogy yet.  Kudos.

Yes, the disc format is the same, it is the language (x86 vs PPC instruction sets) where the PS4 runs into trouble.

Message 6 of 9 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Oct 27, 2013
1. I dont see any point in the OS thing. Play PS4 like it is and leave it like that and dont use it for anything more. ( I refer to weird things that are not from the PS Store or games you buy or movies etc)

2. PS4 cant read the language of PS3 so they cannot understand each other. That is the simplest way to put it.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 7 of 9 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

HWGuy14 wrote:

1. I doubt it. Sony has not mentioned anything about this.

2. Sadly, the PS4 isn't backwards compatible because the PS4 uses a completely differently architecture than the PS3. PS3 uses Cell and the PS4 uses X86. The only way to include PS3 backwards compatibility would be including PS3 components or software emulation. They can't manufacture all the necessary hardware in the long run and the Cell can't be emulated,

Source:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/04/sony_thought_long_and_hard_over_ps4s_lack_of_backward_compati...

Message 8 of 9 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11828 posts

Oct 27, 2013
1. I doubt Sony would ever implement such a feature again.. After seeing what some people were doing with it which led to Sony having to remove the feature.

2. The fact is.. Is simply this,, in order to properly emulate the ps3 it needs to be able to emulate the cell processor which the ps4 needs to be 10x more powerful than it currently is to do it properly.
>

Message 9 of 9 (122 Views)
0 Likes