Jan 08 2013
By: InfinityDevil I Only Post Everything 1006 posts

Two games that are better than Monster Hunter

36 replies 7862 views Edited Jan 8, 2013

Some aspects of Monster Hunter on PSP appealed to me, and I even beta tested the PS2 version of Monster Hunter back in the day.  But here's what I didn't like about the PlayStation MH games:

* weapons that wear down and break

* character animations that are slow and can be interrupted by attacks.

* trudging across a large level only to get trampled to death

* adhoc play only.  No online play because Capcom sells a MH MMO in Japan and doesn't want to hurt sales/subscriptions.

* solo play almost impossible -- big monsters almost always need friends to take them down (see adhoc only above)

Two games I recommend to my Vita playing friends, one is a Vita game, the other is a PSP game with a Vita and PSP sequel coming in 2013.

1. Ragnarok Odyssey.

This is a fast-paced game with lots of monster-hunter style gameplay.  It is extremely stable with strong online play.  Crafting is very minimal, however, and the loot factor is quite low.  The action is fast and there are big boss monsters to fight all over the place.  Near support and I'll say it again the stellar online play make this game very good.  Certain classes, though, do require help to take down some boss creatures, but the upside is you can switch classes as much as you want with the same character and learn how to fight that way.

2. Gods Eater Burst

Currently only a PSP game, this game takes the classic Monster Hunter style of game, puts an anime postapocalyptic coat of paint on it, and takes out weapon durability.  Crafting returns with some really interesting bullet crafting mechanisms and while it is adhoc only, it works with Adhoc Party and you can get "card" copies of players' equipment from those that join you, including their bullet designs that can greatly help in future fights.

GEB is on the store for $19.99 right now in the US as a digital download.

Gods Eater Burst is set to get a sequel this year, and it will come out on PSP and Vita and they will be compatible with each other.  I do think that GEB2 will probably be adhoc play only, which would be a disappointment.  However, I found the first GEB to be much more accessible and to have faster combat than MH.

There you have it, two games to play to scratch that MH itch.

PSNProfiles.com - InfinityDevil
Message 1 of 37 (7,862 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2609 posts

Re: Two games that are better than Monster Hunter

Jan 8, 2013

Yeah, but nothing sells units quite like Monster Hunter. Once that hits the Vita it will finally get a decent foothold in the market instead of being a poor selling device.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 2 of 37 (7,839 Views)
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Monster Hunter is a redundant title anyway, just about any other fantasy third person game has you hunting monsters.

Its like calling Counter-Strike "Terrorist Hunters"

Message 3 of 37 (7,797 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
131 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 9, 2013

I have played those games besides others (Lord of Arcana...) and I find them all okay. I like Monster Hunter a lot but still I can enjoy other very similar games of the same genre just the same. I cant wait for games like Gods Eater 2, Lord of Apocalypse, Soul Sacrifice and Phantasy Star Online 2.

Message 4 of 37 (7,792 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1515 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Im playing ragnarock and MH unite.Ragnarock dosent compare with MH... Its a very pretty game, but I think that it dosent have anything on MH.I find MH much more difficult. I had to put down MH for all the huge releases on PS 3 and other things.I started up again and Im doing all the quests co op with my 7 yr old.

Maybe ragnarock will get harder later?

Message 5 of 37 (7,783 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Jan 9, 2013
Both RO and GEB are MH for casuals, MH is for hardcore gamers. I loved GEB on the PSP and I farmed my **bleep** off in RO, but they don't compare to MH 3rd / Tri, the bestiary is greater, the tension is better and the stakes are higher~.
Message 6 of 37 (7,763 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Jan 9, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
Both RO and GEB are MH for casuals, MH is for hardcore gamers. I loved GEB on the PSP and I farmed my **bleep** off in RO, but they don't compare to MH 3rd / Tri, the bestiary is greater, the tension is better and the stakes are higher~.

Hell yeah, so when you DO actually make big kills on your own.. it feels pretty rewarding.

I remember when I first heard about Monster Hunter, I was like "dumb, sounds generic... guys with big swords, trying to be like Final Fantasy"... but when my friend finally convinced me to play, I played Freedom 2 on the PSP and was absolutely blown away. I've put literally probably over a total of 1000 hours into Freedom 2, Freedom Unite and Tri on the Wii. The music, the animations, and the gameplay are all top notch. You actually get better at fighting and using the weapons that you choose and there is so much to learn about each one, lots of little tricks and methods that you figure out as you go along. Sorry, guys..but I'm just gonna take a pass on all the knock-offs. I'll always be waiting for the next Monster Hunter and I'm probably going to have to just suck it up and get the stupid Wii-U just for MH3 Ultimate.

Side note: You can play the PSP games online through a free PS3 program called Adhoc Party (but you have to use an ethernet cable, not wifi), or online using some PC program. It is great to play with people you know who are far away and works surprisingly well (in fact, not a lot of PSP games work too well other than MH), but people use a lot of hacks and crap now so it's not too much fun playing with random people anymore.

Message 7 of 37 (7,754 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Bulletpainpills wrote:

Yeah, but nothing sells units quite like Monster Hunter. Once that hits the Vita it will finally get a decent foothold in the market instead of being a poor selling device.

Too bad that won't happen. Nintendo was smart enough to make it exclusive. Can't believe Sony let that happen. The PSP was struggling like the VIta until MH came out. Monster Hunter is not coming to VIta any time soon, if it comes at all. People need to stop talking about it. Sony screwed up royally.

As for the original post, you may think they are better but the majority of gamers don't. All you need to do is look at sales. One thing that upsets me is that the new God Eater game is going to release on both the PSP and Vita. Since the PSP is still outselling the Vita in Japan three to one I have a feeling it will hurt Vita sales. That game actually had a shot to move systems. Hopefully, the Vita version is way better and not just crappy port.

Message 8 of 37 (7,718 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Vita version looked very good in trailer; Gods Eater Burst had AI co-op players.

Jan 9, 2013

The video trailer they put out showing Vita footage of the game in action looked really good to me.

I'm happy they decided to port it to Vita and make them play together (at least that is what the video trailer implied).  They could have stuck with the PSP but took the chance on Vita.  I look forward to buying it to support their decision, even if I have to play a good portion of it over Adhoc Party.

I will say that you don't necessarily need friends to play Gods Eater Burst -- the AI of the teammates that play with you in-game does quite well fighting alongside you.  That is one crucial difference from the MH series I forgot to mention.  The game has AI players with you in the missions that do a good job.

PSNProfiles.com - InfinityDevil
Message 9 of 37 (7,702 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Jan 9, 2013
Idk, I felt MH was a pick up and play game, and I'm nit even into those type of games.
Message 10 of 37 (7,694 Views)
0 Likes