Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Re: Turtle Beach PX21 VS Tritton AX720 VS Sony 7.1 Headset?

Sep 6, 2012
That's not true greyghost. You dont have to be a pro gamer to hear the differences in headsets. Being pro has nothing to do with it. OP if you can't get the Astros ( though you're really close money wise so I'd hold out or sell something) I'd go with the Sony 7.1. They have a clearer sound to them and good enough base for the price and they're pretty durable as well as easy to set up and they're wireless. The turtle beach's having slightly better base but a muddier overal sound. They also made my ears hot with the mesh ear cups. They're also wired and are built like crap. Mine broke within six months of use.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 32 (2,633 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 6, 2012

I have a pair of the Sony Wireless Headset and let me tell you that it is worth every penny. I have a pair of Turtle Beach X31's (Which I use on my Xbox) and I've tried out Tritton AX720, and let me tell you that the Sony Wireless Headset is the most comfortable pair of gaming headset that I've ever used. The battery lasts me a good 12 hours, and the durability is great. I've had them since September 2011 and they are still working like new. Sony makes some good headphones and I would recommend the Wireless Headset since literally there are no cords used other than the recharging process.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 32 (2,630 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Sep 6, 2012

PICK34 wrote:
That's not true greyghost. You dont have to be a pro gamer to hear the differences in headsets. Being pro has nothing to do with it. OP if you can't get the Astros ( though you're really close money wise so I'd hold out or sell something) I'd go with the Sony 7.1. They have a clearer sound to them and good enough base for the price and they're pretty durable as well as easy to set up and they're wireless. The turtle beach's having slightly better base but a muddier overal sound. They also made my ears hot with the mesh ear cups. They're also wired and are built like crap. Mine broke within six months of use.

Tell me..... would you pay $250-300 for a pair of headsets if there was a cheaper alternative that delivers nearly the same performance?

The OP even stated that his budget is about $140.

The point here is he doesn't NEED the best..... he wants something that is a good overall device.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 32 (2,624 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 6, 2012
Ghost, There are no headsets that are cheaper that deliver the same performance. I know the op stated he had $140 price range and since two of the three he listed I have, I gave my honest opinion. They can also be found for significantly less than their retail price ($187) on amazon brand new. Which is why I said if he could afford to spend a little bit extra ($47) then he should do it because it's more than worth it. I also said if he didnt feel comfortable spending more to go with the sony headset. Now would you pay $47 extra for A sports car or would you settle for minivan? I mean they both have four wheels and drive down the road.
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 32 (2,614 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Sep 6, 2012

PICK34 wrote:
Ghost, There are no headsets that are cheaper that deliver the same performance. I know the op stated he had $140 price range and since two of the three he listed I have, I gave my honest opinion. They can also be found for significantly less than their retail price ($187) on amazon brand new. Which is why I said if he could afford to spend a little bit extra ($47) then he should do it because it's more than worth it. I also said if he didnt feel comfortable spending more to go with the sony headset. Now would you pay $47 extra for A sports car or would you settle for minivan? I mean they both have four wheels and drive down the road.

Yes there is..... the PS3 headset..... I've owned a $300 pair of TB's and they were crap, and the Astros were overrated from my experience as i've owned a pair of those as well.

Because I own and customize many types of cars, I'll save my money by taking the minivan and dropping in a turbo-kit for it, decent sports suspension and be one fast party van and still have saved more money than paying for a dedicated sports car. But thats just the way of thinking I have..... Why pay more and not get much out of it, when you can save a lot of money by getting it done yourself?
Besides, your analogy was not very well thought out.
You could've just said something along the lines of "Would you rather spend $2000 on a Bose system, or $500 on a Yamaha HTIB system?"
People have different needs and different budgets..... people aren't likely to take the suggestion of "save some more money and buy the higher priced product" as if cost was actually a defining characterisitc of a quality product. When its not actually so.
I've found MANY low-budget stereo systems to deliver much better quality audio compared to my $3500 4-room Bose stereo system I used to have.  

The average person IS NOT going to tell much of a difference for they are uninitiated as to the qeues of what to notice in a good audio product.

Seriously, its better to recommend a more balanced product, than to say "save some more money so you can buy the more expensive product". That way they actually have a BASIS to make an educated comparison with should they come across a situation where they actually get a chance to try the more expensive headset out. ANYTHING is better than the standard speakers that come with TV's anyway, so even a cheap $50 headset is leap and bounds better.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 32 (2,609 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 8, 2012

I really really like the PX21s they are amazing! But i got them for 30 dollars from my local pawn shop!

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 32 (2,600 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Sep 8, 2012

PaSt7x wrote:

I really really like the PX21s they are amazing! But i got them for 30 dollars from my local pawn shop!

Be careful with them.... they are fragile

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 32 (2,598 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Sep 9, 2012

Thanks for all the input guys. I honestly really appreciate it. So it seems like the PX21's are out of the question. I've been researching some more and it seems like the Sony headset gets nothing but postitive reviews. I also looked into the Trittons and people who have tried both those and the Astro's say that the sound quality are almost the same, just that the Astros are less muddier and more crisper, if that makes sense. I also read that the Sony headset's surround sound quality doesn't match up to these other headsets, but it is much more comfy, durable, and easier to set up. It seems like most people on here love the Sonys, but has anyone here tried both the Tritton AX720s and the Wireless Stereo Headset that can compare sound quality? Thanks for all your help again.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 32 (2,588 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 9, 2012
Jakiepooh, This is a good thread from Amazon when it comes to gaming headsets. I don't know where this guy gets the money, but he pretty much compares every headset on the market. Astros, turtle beach, ax pro...ect. It might give you some more info. http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU...
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 32 (2,584 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4568 posts

Sep 9, 2012
In the OP you said you know about the new Sony headset, but are you interested in getting it or not?

This Headset?http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/01/introducing-the-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset-elite-editio...

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 32 (2,571 Views)
0 Likes