Sep 03 2012
By: Jakiepooh2 First Son 13 posts

Turtle Beach PX21 VS Tritton AX720 VS Sony 7.1 Headset?

31 replies 3348 views Edited Sep 3, 2012

I'm looking to buy a new headset and I was looking at these three. Which is the best in terms of sound quality and durability? The Trittons have a new 2012 model upgraded from the old ones and I know about the new Sony headset. Please explain why also.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 32 (3,348 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Re: Turtle Beach PX21 VS Tritton AX720 VS Sony 7.1 Headset?

Sep 3, 2012
I think the Sound quality will be comperable with any of the devices / Ive personally played with both the turtle beach, cant say if it was the same model but only purchased new about 7-8 months ago and it was awesome. My buddy has the ps3 headset and I cant tell the difference in the sound but have avoided picking up my own due to preferences.
when your playing, how long to you play for at a stretch? Playstation 7.1 Headset is very nice but you will damage its battery if your using it while its charging. I do believe it Keeps its Charge for several hours (3+) at a stretch but you will need to charge frequenly with heavy use. Personally I prefer Wired connections so I can use whenever needed. But not everyones home entertainment center is setup identically and having a wire stretch across your living room may not be desireable.

Have you tried any of the headsets on for comfort?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 32 (3,342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Sep 3, 2012

Yes I've tried all three of them. The Sony and PX21 in store and the Trittons at my friends house. Comfort is not a big issue for me,  nor is wired/wireless. I'm just looking for the best sound quality in games such as FPS's. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 32 (3,337 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14949 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 4, 2012

Advocate023 wrote:
Playstation 7.1 Headset is very nice but you will damage its battery if your using it while its charging. I do believe it Keeps its Charge for several hours (3+) at a stretch but you will need to charge frequenly with heavy use.

I've NEVER had any such issue.

My Sony headset goes for about 8 hours or so on one charge, and have used it while its charging on a regular basis.

Wherever you heard this from, I'm not going to say is false, but myself and many others have not experienced such doing so and I bought mine when it released

Looking for "best quality" is REALLY subjective here...... Not everyone is going to percieve sound quality the same.

From my experience, Turtle Beach headsets are decent, but their downfall is their insane fragility and their customer service is quite lazy. My last pair which was a DPX21 within one month I had one side go completely mute and the other side start to get very "static-y", It took TB nearly 4 months to send me a warrantied replacement with many phone calls to get an update on the status of my claim and as such I simply told them to send me a refund as its as simple as sending a brand new unit, but even then it was a chore to get to someone who actually CARED.
During that time I bought the PS3 headset and have never looked back.

The only thing I wish the PS3 headset had MORE of, is better Bass quality as well as having an adjustable equalizer that could be programmable through the PS3 and have some basic presets.
But for $80-100 (depending on where you buy them) you cant go wrong as they are comparable to the $150+ headsets from Tritton and Astra 

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 32 (3,329 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Sep 4, 2012

Wow thanks for the detailed post. As for the Sony headset, I know it has a virtual surround sound option to emulate 7.1. How has it fared in games such as Call of Duty for soundwhoring?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 32 (3,315 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14949 posts

Sep 4, 2012

Jakiepooh2 wrote:

Wow thanks for the detailed post. As for the Sony headset, I know it has a virtual surround sound option to emulate 7.1. How has it fared in games such as Call of Duty for soundwhoring?

It works as advertised

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 32 (3,312 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Sep 4, 2012

Sounds good. Has anyone had any experience with the new or old AX720s?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 32 (3,303 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
263 posts

Sep 5, 2012
Lol, I wrote a long post about the p21 and Sony 7.1 but it didn't post for some reason. Trittons are crap. They're made by madcatz who are notorious for making sub par stuff. If you want The best sounding gaming headset skip turtle beach, triton, Sony, sharkoon, logic tech and everything else. Get a pair of Astro A40s or A50s. They're the Cadillac of gaming headsets. You can get a pair of A40s on amazon for under $200 (I think they were 187.40 when I saw them the other day.) that's a steal as they're usually $300.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 32 (3,291 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Sep 5, 2012

I would LOVE to get a pair of A40s. I hear they are basically top notch and everyone raves about how good they are. The thing is, I don't have $250 to spend, or even $190 for Amazon. I have about $140 which is why I picked these three. I'm in need of a headset soon and who knows when I'll get the extra money to get the A40s. Any idea out of these 3?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 32 (3,279 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14949 posts

Sep 5, 2012

I just said the Sony Headset (not the Pulse Elite)..... you can get them from $80-90

unless you're some Pro gamer, you'll never see the benefit of MLG branded headsets, which the Astro's are.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 32 (3,272 Views)
0 Likes