Sackboy
457 posts

Re: Do you play for trophys or just to have fun?

Jan 22, 2014
If I'm enjoying a game a lot and the Platinum doesn't look too difficult I'l go ahead and collect the trophies. Otherwise I just play them because I want to.

I do enjoy having trophies though as a sort of log of my collection. I like looking at games I've played in the past

Message 31 of 41 (429 Views)
MVP Support
9999 posts

Jan 22, 2014
I don`t think people should buy games solo based on trophies. I like collecting trophies, and I will usually try to get the platinum, but if going for the platinum stops being fun, then I won`t even bother going for the platinum. I do play games for fun, I don`t see a point in buying a game if you are not playing it for fun, games are made for entertainment after all.
Message 32 of 41 (427 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 22, 2014

fun first, trophies second. That's just common sense. 

Exophase Gamercard
Message 33 of 41 (425 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Jan 22, 2014

I couldn't care less about trophies.  If I get them that's fine, but I play the games for the pure enjoyment of playing the game.

Message 34 of 41 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jan 22, 2014

jgrizzle358 wrote:

fun first, trophies second. That's just common sense. 

Not everyone feels the same way as you...Alot of people will try and complete a game even if they aren't enjoying it...

~ Accepting all friend requests ~

PSN: "RSJohn7293"
Message 35 of 41 (420 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Re: Trophies & OCD

Jan 22, 2014
I used to, but now it's... meh, just wasting my time, i still try to 100% every game i have but i don't have the same time nor the same sanity anymore.
Message 36 of 41 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Jan 22, 2014

I've never had any problem with the PlayStation 3's user interface. The XMB (Xross Media Bar) is an excellent design, that's not only reobust with features but is also customizable. Sure there's a lot there to deal with, but not all of it needs to be understood in order to play a game, watch a movie, or whatever it is you have in mind for your PlayStation 3.

The main menu and how it's displayed is not what should prevent you from playing your games or earning the trophies within. The PlayStation 4 actually features a design that's not far off from how the PlayStation 3 was with trophies. If you have installed your game, then you're able to open the main menu with the PlayStation button, check out the trophies for the game, and then keep those in mind during your playthrough. If the trophy list tells you there's a trophy for finishing the game on Hard, you can start the game out with that. If the trophy description tells of a certain number of enemies that need to be dealt with using a particular weapon, again just try to to remember that when sorting through your available arsenal.

When playing games, the games that I set out to play are usually ones that have a hold on my particular interest. I play games for the fun, creativity, imagination, and other such functions that compel me to buy the game. My #1 mission is to get the games that appeal to me first, and then worry about the trophies second. If a Platinum is doable I'll certainly try to go after it. While I enjoyed Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White WItch well enough last year, the trophy list itself had a few achivements on there that seemed like it would take a very long time to invest in. Others of course (like the tournament challenges) were tough, knowing the competition wasn't all that simple firsthand. It's a good game and all, but pushing myself toward the Platinum didn't look like the kind of reward I wanted to wrap my brain around.

On the other hand, I've spent time torturing myself reaching 100% in recent games such as Knack and Tearaway. These games come with trophies that certainly seem to boggle peoples' minds. Finishing up a level without dying seems simple until you've had to restart the chapter 50 times because you keep falling off the edge at one point or another. Depending on the game and the trophies within, it's whether or not the Platinum seems like something I could reach that I'll actually swim those dangerous shark-infested waters until I make it out onto the other side of the beach. Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 41 (393 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Rene_Led wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

The list of trophies I have kind of works like a score for games.

If somewhat enjoyed playing them they would be above 50%.

If they are platinum then I really enjoyed the game.

If they are below 20% then I thought the game was trash.

Obviously DLC has to be taken into account and some games just break on you...

I have 17% on Last of Us but I still really like it. just don't feel like playing Hard and Crush twice over Smiley Tongue

It's kind of different for me. If I enjoy the game I'll platinum it or try to. If I don't like it the game will sit below 20%. If I enjoy something I can't let it sit at a low percentage. Smiley Tongue

Message 38 of 41 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

Aureilia wrote:

That's the way I see it but it also goes both ways. I enjoyed doing all the extra stuff on LA Noire and Assassins Creed Black Flag to get the platinum beyond just beating the game. If the game is fun to play and I want to get more milage out of a game after beating it then going to collect trophy's is a good way to do that. The other filp side is that I have one trophy left for BF4 but I hardley put it at the top with other games I have enjoyed a lot, I'm only getting the platinum out of spite b/c of how problematic the game was for me both online and single player so its like of like... I hate you, but I'm going to platinum you regardless just to get some sense of satisfaction for all the crap I delt with but I will not be buying any of the DLC b/c that goes beyond my reasoning. If I really like the game I have no problem getting DLC for more trophys and getting more enjoment out of the game but I wont give Dice / EA another penny of my money. And the other aspect is that I only have 11% for the Last of Us which is my favorite game of all time. Currently I have a friend at work who has borrowed it and still has it which is fine w/ me but I would like to get some more trophys for this as well even though I have already played through it twice it was such a  great game and I will deff be getting the DLC for this game.

Message 39 of 41 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Jan 23, 2014

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

That's the way I see it but it also goes both ways. I enjoyed doing all the extra stuff on LA Noire and Assassins Creed Black Flag to get the platinum beyond just beating the game. If the game is fun to play and I want to get more milage out of a game after beating it then going to collect trophy's is a good way to do that. The other filp side is that I have one trophy left for BF4 but I hardley put it at the top with other games I have enjoyed a lot, I'm only getting the platinum out of spite b/c of how problematic the game was for me both online and single player so its like of like... I hate you, but I'm going to platinum you regardless just to get some sense of satisfaction for all the crap I delt with but I will not be buying any of the DLC b/c that goes beyond my reasoning. If I really like the game I have no problem getting DLC for more trophys and getting more enjoment out of the game but I wont give Dice / EA another penny of my money. And the other aspect is that I only have 11% for the Last of Us which is my favorite game of all time. Currently I have a friend at work who has borrowed it and still has it which is fine w/ me but I would like to get some more trophys for this as well even though I have already played through it twice it was such a  great game and I will deff be getting the DLC for this game.

Yeah I understand it works both ways. Even with some trophy lists it works both ways.

I seriously enjoyed Resident Evil: Revelations but it's just totally not worth playing infernal mode. It becomes a chore instead of fun in that instance. I'd rather keep my memories of it being good.

Message 40 of 41 (271 Views)
0 Likes