MVP Support
12485 posts

Re: Trophies & OCD

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

Trophies do not add replay value to video games for me. If a video game isn’t worth replaying or spending any more time with then I will play a different one. If I’m not enjoying a video game then I stop playing it and seek out different experiences. Trophies don’t matter to me. Here is some advice.

• Trophies will never amount to anything beyond more points on your PlayStation Profile.
  • Try to stop thinking about the trophy percentage in a video game as its completion percentage.
  • Trophies can be rewarded for absolutely pointless activities on someone’s checklist (it depends on the video game).
  • Take pride in your low trophy percentages. They can show others which video games you thought were terrible and not worth your time.
  • Some video games will not give you their platinum trophies unless you collect their online multiplayer trophies (this can be a waste of time).

One of these days you should replay an older video game that you really enjoyed in the past. Make sure that you have acquired all of its trophies before you replay it (or make sure that it doesn’t have any trophy support). Why play through a video game that will not give you any trophies? That’s kind of the point. Video games should be enjoyable to you without their trophies. You need to stop thinking about them for a while and remove the temptation.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 21 of 41 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Jan 22, 2014

SweetPoison13 wrote:
  • Trophies will never amount to anything beyond more points on your PlayStation Profile.
  • Try to stop thinking about the trophy percentage in a video game as its completion percentage.
  • Trophies can be rewarded for absolutely pointless activities on someone’s checklist (it depends on the video game).
  • Take pride in your low trophy percentages. They will show others which video games you thought were terrible and not worth your time.
  • Some video games will not give you their platinum trophies unless you collect their online multiplayer trophies (this can be a waste of time).

That's not always true b/c when I first bought and played Metal Gear Solid 4 there were no trophy's and before the PS4 launch I started to play it again to get some of the trophy's for it but only got as far as 1% before picking up the PS4 and have not gone back to it yet but MGS4 is hardly a game that is not worth playing. 

I wont go for trophy's that are to hard or not worth my time...hence not making it fun. I often look at a games trophy list now and decide if its something I think I can do or not and then go from there. I'll have the platinum for BF4 soon ( depending on how much time I put into it the next week or so ) so that will give me 2 out of 2 PS4 games that I have that I'll have a platinum for. There are a lot of games I want to buy this year so I just hope they are spread out enough so that I dont get back logged getting trophy's b/c overall I still want to get all the trophy's I think I am capable of getting regardless of if it includes the platinum or not.

Message 22 of 41 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Jan 22, 2014

The list of trophies I have kind of works like a score for games.

If somewhat enjoyed playing them they would be above 50%.

If they are platinum then I really enjoyed the game.

If they are below 20% then I thought the game was trash.

Obviously DLC has to be taken into account and some games just break on you...

Message 23 of 41 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Jan 22, 2014
take a break and come back later. I know with Assassin's Creed 2 there were a few trophies I missed. I went back and beat the story and now just need to collect the feathers.
Message 24 of 41 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5806 posts

Jan 22, 2014

Aureilia wrote:

The list of trophies I have kind of works like a score for games.

If somewhat enjoyed playing them they would be above 50%.

If they are platinum then I really enjoyed the game.

If they are below 20% then I thought the game was trash.

Obviously DLC has to be taken into account and some games just break on you...

I have 17% on Last of Us but I still really like it. just don't feel like playing Hard and Crush twice over Smiley Tongue

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 25 of 41 (185 Views)
Gaming Beast
2007 posts

Jan 22, 2014

My OCD doesn't affect me that much with trophies, it does bother me when I have like 2% on a game however. In games like Minecraft or such, it bothers me when something isn't in the right place or a block is misplaced.

One Time "Face Of WWE" champion, 12-07-14 to 12-28-14
Message 26 of 41 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014

Thanks so far to everyone who responded.

Fuzzy_Skinner wrote:

I get it a bit, but I try not to let me bother me (but sometimes it does).

You just have to focus on the games you HAVE got plat/100% on that you also enjoyed. If you're not enjoying the game, and the trophies would require too much time to get, then try to put it out of your mind. It's not easy, especially if you have a couple really bad games on your list with very low %, but just try to think to yourself that most other people prob didn't like that game either.

Now, I do get really bugged if a game has, say, 80% or more. Even if it's a game I don't care for I"ll take the time to finish it off.

Yes, I need to put it out of my mind. But that is where I am having a problem. I want to but I just seem to not be able to. I do have 2 games on my list that I have hidden. Dragons Dogma, I just couldn't get it into it and probably had different expectations on it that I shouldn't had...but it was free on the PSN Plus.

I am the oposite when it comes to 80% or more, because usually (especially if it is an older game with multiplayer) I will probably never plat it...but at least I unlocked all the single player trophies in my mind that makes me feel more relief than if it was a lower % completion.

carneyguy wrote:

wow op im the same but i got to a point i dont care i only get as far as i want  to and i tell my osd to shuve it. lol Also dont get the last of us lol....

I had The Last Of Us, and I beat it...but when I changed my gamertag I purposely didn't want to try and play through again because I knew I wouldn't have time to go through everything like I did before and didn't want the low % rating on my list. Smiley Sad

RISE_UP44 wrote:

I have trophy ocd big time...I stopped thinking about it so much because really the only time it matters is those seasons when tons of games come out at once but then you have nothing to play during other periods of time so I realized I should just take my time with games and go for it if i want to get every single thing completed. If a new game comes out I can try it then come back to it later on..

Yeah, but the season is starting to get going again...I want Second Son, D3 with the expax, Watch Dogs, Evil Within, UFC, Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, FF X/X2 HD, GoW Vita, Destiny, The Order, Wolfenstien....but it has come to a point that I don't experience all the games that I want to because I have a need to focus on one game to get a %...so I am afraid to buy these games now.

GrayGargoyle wrote:

I'm fine if there's a game with a low percentage on my trophy list. There are actually several games at 0% on my list. It's not like I haven't been trying, but that (in most cases) the games end up being of poor value or that they don't seem to be all that playable from at least some kind of gameplay perspective that you can see yourself returning to this product.

One example comes from the recently released Don't Starve. I know people out there have voiced their preference for playing this sort of game, but I just don't see the value. Where do you go? What do you do? How do you survive? It's all a big mystery. The darkness sets in too soon and the objective to build a fire, find some food, pick up everything you can, find some kind of shelter, or simply jumping into those holes that appear in the ground is all up to the player to figure out without any direction or explanation. I could go and look up a guide of some sort to find out some more about the mechanics of this game, but I'm not going to. I'd rather figure things out for myself. The problem is that the game really doesn't give you any idea... so, I figure it's not a game that's worth spending any extra time on.

There will surely be many more miserable games down the path to play, but the best you can do is try to keep your chin up for when there's something really great out there to digest, whether it's for trophies or more importantly for the gameplay, graphics, sounds, and story that suck you right in. What you should probably do is first worry about the game being enjoyable, then worry about whether the trophies for the game seem to be doable for 100%. There are some amazing games out there, but not all of them have the most accessible 100-percentiles around. Just enjoy the game for what it's worth and pick off every trophy you think you can get. Otherwise if the trophies are going to bug you the entire time, just don't look at them until the game is done and over with. You're likely to miss out on potential trophies by ignoring them, but at least this would give you a chance to spend more time with the game actually hunting for the higher completion ratio if that's a goal you want to set for yourself. If not, try not to worry.

I actually like Don't Starve but hadn't been able to focus on it because Uncharted and GTA V are pulling my trophy OCD in another direction from being able to enjoy the games that i do like. I want to play my AC4, because I really do love that game so far...it is way better than the other AC games that I had...when I had my X-Box 360 I had all the AC at 100% completion....and I want to focus on AC and my wife actually likes watching me play AC4...but I can't bring myself to continue on it until GTAV or Uncharted is finished and I try everynight on GoW: Ascension to beat the Trials of Archimedes Hard so I can finish off that game....sigh.

Spider_Snipez wrote:

It kind of irritates me that I have several games in my trophy list that I do not own and there's 0% trophies for them. There should be a way do delete these.

Yeah, at least you can hide them. That helps me a bit but when you login on your system's end you can still see them. I would almost rather take the level hit or loss of XP to be able to delete games so they don't show at all....

GIONAScm2 wrote:

OP, I kinda worry about you.

OCD trophy hunting is one thing, but when you're going so far as to make a new GT/PSN, then you're definitely taking it too far. You may want to seek cognitive therapy if you can't even enjoy gaming anymore.

Trophy hunting isn't for everybody. If you don't find it fun, then you need to stop.

Yeah, I have organizational issues also. My desktop files all have respectable folders labeled properly and by year. Everything is squared up at home and I have to dust and swifter every day. If I see something on the counter or a bowl or a dish laying around it will sit there and eat at me. I also take meds for my ADHD so that I can absorb information as it comes to me, it used to be that I couldn't remember things that I read or movies that I watched and I had been bad with names. It wasn't that I had been an idiot...and I did try to listen or absorb information but it was like my mind wasn't paying attention or holding that information as it came...like pushing everything aside.

Other than that stuff I am pretty normal, my wife knows about my ADHD but she doesn't get my OCD all the time. She haves a little bit of it also by double checking doors being locked, lights being off, and hot irons being off...to the point where we are out the door and she will have to turn the car around to go double check.

FeddeCampo wrote:

In my opinion,if you are of the competitive type of players, before playing the game, maybe without getting much spoiled, you can check on the internet how many trophies the game you want has, in order to realize if it will be cool to play without having to worry about how difficult can be to finish it.
Apart from that, the important thing is to have fun, and buy the games that you feel attracted too or those that your friends play and maybe having multiplayer matches can make the online trophies more fun to achieve. 

Yes, I am a very competitive person. I once finished a Bball game even after tearing my ACL because we only had 40 seconds left and it was a close game. The shock of the tear allowed me to not be effected by it at the time it wasn't until later that I had felt the actual pain from it. I lost my petiller tendion and fractured my tibual plateau while playing on it though.

I know some things are less important than my health, but there is always something inside me that I can't excplain the urge or emotion to want to complete things even if I am not having fun. But that is sort of what I want to get rid of when I am playing games....I want to forget about these unfinished % so much so I can enjoy the games infront of me...that is why I posted on the forums for help.

SweetPoison13 wrote:

Trophies do not add replay value to video games for me. If a video game isn’t worth replaying or spending any more time with then I will play a different one. If I’m not enjoying a video game then I stop playing it and seek out different experiences. Trophies don’t matter to me. Here is some advice.

• Take pride in your low trophy percentages. They will show others which video games you thought were terrible and not worth your time.

One of these days you should replay an older video game that you really enjoyed in the past. Make sure that you have acquired all of its trophies before you replay it (or make sure that it doesn’t have any trophy support). Why play through a video game that will not give you any trophies? That’s kind of the point. Video games should be enjoyable to you without their trophies. You need to stop thinking about them for a while and remove the temptation.

Yeah, I mean I totally understand trophies do not define me or are just worthless digital accomplishments...but it still doesn't deter my urges or thoughts of needing to play a game and get all the trophies...I don't know why. I try and fight it, I will sit there play a game that I really enjoy such as AC4 but think....GTAV you need to beat and get the trophies...or Uncharted 1,2, and 3 need to be finished for up to Crushing but Hard needs to be beat in order to start Crushing.

Websites like PSNtrophies that grade your game by trophy % do not help me either. 

To me, games with low % do not reflect how I like the game also. Guacameelee, Gracity Rush, and Spelunky are amazing games they are just hard to get trophies in...and again it bothers me that those have low % rates also. I have more % on NFS Most Wanted Vita and I do not even enjoy NFS Most Wanted on the Vita because it is kind of a hard game to play on the Vita..especially when all you see is two blurry red lights in the distance and enviroments are hard to see at racing speeds on the screen and resolution. But, because I started it I need to try and finish it.

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

SweetPoison13 wrote:

That's not always true b/c when I first bought and played Metal Gear Solid 4 there were no trophy's and before the PS4 launch I started to play it again to get some of the trophy's for it but only got as far as 1% before picking up the PS4 and have not gone back to it yet but MGS4 is hardly a game that is not worth playing. 

I wont go for trophy's that are to hard or not worth my time...hence not making it fun. I often look at a games trophy list now and decide if its something I think I can do or not and then go from there. I'll have the platinum for BF4 soon ( depending on how much time I put into it the next week or so ) so that will give me 2 out of 2 PS4 games that I have that I'll have a platinum for. There are a lot of games I want to buy this year so I just hope they are spread out enough so that I dont get back logged getting trophy's b/c overall I still want to get all the trophy's I think I am capable of getting regardless of if it includes the platinum or not.

Yeah, I want to plat BF4 also...I know DICE will be adding more trophies on there too with DLC....and I love playing that online and I could be a lot higher level if I wasn't so worried about other games at the moment....but I am because of my "urge" problem.

Message 27 of 41 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Jan 22, 2014
I just go for the easy trophies first then I go back and get the hard one
Message 28 of 41 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55190 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2014

Irish-Stand-Down wrote:

Does anyone else struggle with trophy OCD? You want to move on to other games, but the low trophy % is keeping you from doing so? 

I am not sure how to explain it or why my brain functions like it does...but I really don't want to care about trophies...my mind just wont let them go though. I am by no means a trophy hunter but I like seeing high % in the game list. I don't feel like a game is complete until I can do everything that I possibly can do in the game. If I couldn't see them or compare them it wouldn't probably ever bother me, but because I can and I feel like they are not fully accomplished it sort of "haunts" me.

I have yet to start on some games because I am afraid I will have my completion % low. There are current games that I really love playing and want to focus my time on but the previous low % rates on some games have me going back to the old games. I then see on my friends list that someone haves a platinum in a game so that makes me want to go for it also...and then that eats at me.

I know some people will think, that is stupid why does it even matter? Or, "So?" But unless you know what I am talking about it is hard to explain. It is almost like an uncontrollable urge. I have started over on gamer tags thinking I will only play games I know I will like so I can have a high %...but then I pick up a game that I am just not that into and the feeling starts all over again.

Games like Uncharted Drakes Fortune... I would like to beat that on Crushing! but I can not even start Crushing! with out beating hard...so that dread of starting the game and playing it yet a 4th or 5th time is there (I beat it on another gamer tag), the time it would take to do it since I have a fulltime job and a wife, and especially when I have other great games to play and that I enjoy...but in my head it is an obtainable trophy (with time) and I want to go for it...

Then there are games that I just absolutely did not like and I hide them on my list, but I can still see them on my end and that bugs me...but the thought on playing some of the games is just a god awful feeling...but the low % raiting is just the same feeling as wanting to play a game that I don't like.

I just want to let go, but I don't know how. Anyone have tips, dealt with this, advice?

I used to have serious trophy OCD, check out my trophy profile on here....33 plats and about 20 more games without plats at 100% Smiley Tongue

The friend on my FL that I used to have "completion" competitions with got way way way far ahead of me one day and I lost my motivatoin.   Now I don't really look at trophies all that much, I play first then later I might think about trophies.

Message 29 of 41 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Do you play for trophys or just to have fun?

Jan 22, 2014

I'm about to get my first platinum trophy on NFS rivals after creating my PSN account 4-5 years ago simply because I didn't care for collecting trophys and the UI was annoying to navigate.

After I got my PS4, with the new UI, it's easier to navigate IMO so i decided to start collecting trophys on all games i buy. Smiley Very Happy

u?

~ Accepting all friend requests ~

PSN: "RSJohn7293"
Message 30 of 41 (359 Views)
0 Likes