Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 21 2014
By: Irish-Stand-Down Lombax Warrior 96 posts

Trophies & OCD

[ Edited ]
41 replies 325 views Edited Jan 21, 2014

Does anyone else struggle with trophy OCD? You want to move on to other games, but the low trophy % is keeping you from doing so? 

I am not sure how to explain it or why my brain functions like it does...but I really don't want to care about trophies...my mind just wont let them go though. I am by no means a trophy hunter but I like seeing high % in the game list. I don't feel like a game is complete until I can do everything that I possibly can do in the game. If I couldn't see them or compare them it wouldn't probably ever bother me, but because I can and I feel like they are not fully accomplished it sort of "haunts" me.

I have yet to start on some games because I am afraid I will have my completion % low. There are current games that I really love playing and want to focus my time on but the previous low % rates on some games have me going back to the old games. I then see on my friends list that someone haves a platinum in a game so that makes me want to go for it also...and then that eats at me.

I know some people will think, that is stupid why does it even matter? Or, "So?" But unless you know what I am talking about it is hard to explain. It is almost like an uncontrollable urge. I have started over on gamer tags thinking I will only play games I know I will like so I can have a high %...but then I pick up a game that I am just not that into and the feeling starts all over again.

Games like Uncharted Drakes Fortune... I would like to beat that on Crushing! but I can not even start Crushing! with out beating hard...so that dread of starting the game and playing it yet a 4th or 5th time is there (I beat it on another gamer tag), the time it would take to do it since I have a fulltime job and a wife, and especially when I have other great games to play and that I enjoy...but in my head it is an obtainable trophy (with time) and I want to go for it...

Then there are games that I just absolutely did not like and I hide them on my list, but I can still see them on my end and that bugs me...but the thought on playing some of the games is just a god awful feeling...but the low % raiting is just the same feeling as wanting to play a game that I don't like.

I just want to let go, but I don't know how. Anyone have tips, dealt with this, advice?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (325 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3156 posts

Re: Trophies & OCD

Jan 21, 2014

Irish-Stand-Down wrote:

I just want to let go, but I don't know how. Anyone have tips, dealt with this, advice?

I used to be like this, but then I stopped caring so much about being a completionist. If you have a perfect streak, I imagine that would be harder to do. The point where I stopped was when I realized just how much time I was wasting on getting something of little to no value other than bragging rights. If it's a game I really like I still go for it, but I decided it's better to spend that time enjoying more games then wasting my time with a few trophies that would take forever to grind out.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4242 posts

Jan 21, 2014
Just play to play...

You will get more Trophys anyways by constantly trying new games vs. grinding for 1 trophy.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5190 posts

Jan 21, 2014

I can honestly say: I don't really care for trophies, but i would lie if I didn't say: they are fun to collect.

I don't know, it's just fun for me hearing a "bling!" sound when I do something in a game. I don't necessarily care for getting 100%/platinum on the game unless it's a game I actually care enough to want to, or if I just easily just because. Assassin's Creed console games I have platinumed simply because I want to (minus AC Liberation/Vita since I honestly didn't feel like getting em all) since it's one of my favorite series.

Others like Uncharted 2-3, Captain america, RE5-6 i platinumed simply just because I knew I could go for it  and dind't mind.

Though there are times where I just don't 'feel' like it. Example, Amazing Spiderman I have like 95% I think and the trophies im missing are mostly Collect all the _____ types and just don't really feel like turning on the PC/Vita, youtube, and look at both the game and PC to find stuff.

So all in all what I think: Trophies important? Nah. Fun to get/collect, sure! :smileywink:

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Jan 21, 2014

It's a double-edged sword really. On one hand it has made me experience more of games that I probably would've given up on earlier if there weren't any trophies. On the other hand is has made me almost hate games that are otherwise good for the most part. I just wish game developers would realize that bad trophies can really ruin the game for a lot of players. For example, Uncharted 2 was easily one of the best single player experiences of the previous generation but the DLC trophies that forced you to grind online left me with bad memories of the game. If I could then I would delete all my trophies and disable trophies completely.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Jan 21, 2014

Rene_Led wrote:

I can honestly say: I don't really care for trophies, but i would lie if I didn't say: they are fun to collect.

I don't know, it's just fun for me hearing a "bling!" sound when I do something in a game. I don't necessarily care for getting 100%/platinum on the game unless it's a game I actually care enough to want to, or if I just easily just because. Assassin's Creed console games I have platinumed simply because I want to (minus AC Liberation/Vita since I honestly didn't feel like getting em all) since it's one of my favorite series.

Others like Uncharted 2-3, Captain america, RE5-6 i platinumed simply just because I knew I could go for it  and dind't mind.

Though there are times where I just don't 'feel' like it. Example, Amazing Spiderman I have like 95% I think and the trophies im missing are mostly Collect all the _____ types and just don't really feel like turning on the PC/Vita, youtube, and look at both the game and PC to find stuff.

So all in all what I think: Trophies important? Nah. Fun to get/collect, sure! :smileywink:

Yeah, I wish I could say that it is even fun for me to collect trophies...it is more about the list that is associated to my profile that is incomplete in progress...or something.

I mean games like GoW Ascension has 1 trophy just lingering out there because I am stuck on Trial of Archamedies Hard mode. I would almost rather peel off all my finger nails....but it is the last trophy I need for that game so it just lingers there in the back of my mind.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (292 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12020 posts

Jan 21, 2014

Maybe you should just stop looking at trophy lists...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Jan 21, 2014

tln_SWE wrote:

It's a double-edged sword really. On one hand it has made me experience more of games that I probably would've given up on earlier if there weren't any trophies. On the other hand is has made me almost hate games that are otherwise good for the most part. I just wish game developers would realize that bad trophies can really ruin the game for a lot of players. For example, Uncharted 2 was easily one of the best single player experiences of the previous generation but the DLC trophies that forced you to grind online left me with bad memories of the game. If I could then I would delete all my trophies and disable trophies completely.

Yeah, I hear that. I love the Uncharted series, and I beat them and I kind of just want to leave it at that. I experienced the story, the enviroments, and all that and I am excited about Golden Abyss and Uncharted 4...but the thought of spending time to go back to beat them on hard and then again on Crushing is discouraging....and it is not that I can just move on. I really want to but they are sitting there and it is bugging me.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5190 posts

Jan 21, 2014

@Irish

Yeah I suppose I can relate since, as mentioned above, for Spiderman I only need like 3-4 trophies to platinum but, lol, I really don't want to revisit the levels and look high and low for tapes and notes and yet now and then I think 'sigh....spiderman is my favorite Marvel charcater and yet only some torphies away from platinum' hahahaha :smileytongue:

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (280 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3627 posts

Jan 22, 2014
I don't not play other games because of my OCD with Trophies, but I do get annoyed when I see anything under 50% trophy completetion. Especially the games that completely blew and I know I will never play again.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (257 Views)
0 Likes