Highlighted
Feb 19 2012
By: mugen5 First Son 21 posts

Transfering Data to a new PS3

2 replies 21 views Edited Feb 19, 2012

From what I read there are 2 ways to transfer files from 1 PS3 to another. 1 backup on an external hard drive on old PS3 and restore on new one. 2 connect both PS3 with ethernet cables and preform a transfer. From what I read on the forums the first method won't transfer copy protected files to the new PS3. Method 2 will but here is my problem. The old PS3 has a 500gig hard drive and the new one onkly has a 60gig. The only way I can think off to transfer all files including copy proteced files is to by another 500gig hard drive and put it the new PS3 and do a file transfer. Before I go spend money on a new drive is there any other way to do this.

Message 1 of 3 (21 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: Transfering Data to a new PS3

Feb 19, 2012

You could try to trim things off the 500g drive. Put your non copy protected saves on a USB drive. Same with any photos and videos. Delete game date. Delete purchased games and DLC. You can redownload them for free. It'll be time consuming but cheaper than buying a new HDD. Personally I'd get a plus membership and use the cloud for the copy protected and back up to an external. Then you can put the 500g in the new PS3 and restore. I'd rather have the larger drive in the new system and the plus membership is still cheaper than a new drive.

Message 2 of 3 (21 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Re: Transfering Data to a new PS3

Feb 21, 2012

Ok I got a plus membership and backed up my game saves to the cloud. I had already backed up my hard drive to a extrenal hard drive. For the fun of it I tried restoring it to the 60 gig hard drive just to see and it restored it. I didn't restore my demos and purchased game. Is it only because the 60 gig drive was to small. Once I put the 500gig in the new PS3 and do the restore will my demos and purchased game transfer to the hard drive. Or is the only way to redowload. Just want to know before I put the hard drive in the new PS3 and and it gets formated.

Message 3 of 3 (21 Views)
0 Likes