Jul 07 2010
By: delorean6683 First Son 6 posts

Transfer game saves USB

11 replies 2946 views Edited Jul 7, 2010

I got 2 PS3's now, one upstairs and one downstairs.

I just bought a USB memory stick.

My question is how do I take the game saves off one PS3 and move them to another PS3? The reason why I want to do this is cause I mostly play on a HD TV but sometimes I am forced to play on an old 36" tube TV.

I would like to transfer game saves back and forth when I need to.

Mark V
Message 1 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: Transfer game saves USB

Jul 7, 2010
Plug the USB flash drive into the PS3. On the XMB, go to your Games, then Save Data Utility. Then select the gamesave you wish to copy, press Triangle, select Copy, then select your flash drive to save it to.

Then, on second PS3, plug flash drive in, go to Game then Save Data Utility, then find your flash drive, select it, select your gamesave, press Triangle, then select Copy.

Some gamesaves will not let you copy them. And be sure you have the same User/PSN ID on both systems.
Message 2 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 7, 2010

Is there any way to tell which save game files are protected against copying? The reason I ask is that I tried to transfer my Red Dead Redeption save files from my 40GB PS3 to a new 120GB PS3 Slim and RDR stated that the save game could not be loaded because it was created by another user. Note that the user account on the 120GB PS3 Slim has the same name as the user account on the 40GB PS3. I was able to get the save loaded by upgrading to firmware 3.40 and connecting to PSN using the PSN account from the 40GB PS3.

The point is, I was unaware that the save game was tied to my PSN ID. I incorrectly assumed that since I backed up my save to a USB drive, I would be able to transfer it to any PS3 regradless of user ID. Having visited these forums, I find out that there are copy protected save game files. I sure would like to know how to identify these files so I don't make a similar mistake.

Message 3 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jul 7, 2010
Thank you!
Mark V
Message 4 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jul 7, 2010
Thread hijacker!
Mark V
Message 5 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Jul 7, 2010

blakdeth wrote:

Is there any way to tell which save game files are protected against copying? The reason I ask is that I tried to transfer my Red Dead Redeption save files from my 40GB PS3 to a new 120GB PS3 Slim and RDR stated that the save game could not be loaded because it was created by another user. Note that the user account on the 120GB PS3 Slim has the same name as the user account on the 40GB PS3. I was able to get the save loaded by upgrading to firmware 3.40 and connecting to PSN using the PSN account from the 40GB PS3.

The point is, I was unaware that the save game was tied to my PSN ID. I incorrectly assumed that since I backed up my save to a USB drive, I would be able to transfer it to any PS3 regradless of user ID. Having visited these forums, I find out that there are copy protected save game files. I sure would like to know how to identify these files so I don't make a similar mistake.

Copy-protected gamesaves and gamesaves that are tied to a specific PSN account are two different things.

If you insert a thumbdrive and try to copy one of your gamesaves to the thumbdrive, and you get an error message saying something to the effect that copying is not allowed,  then the gamesave is copy protected and you can't use it on another system.

Many gamesaves are also tied to a specific PSN ID, and I doubt there is a master list out there of which specific games are like this.  However, as long as you are using the same PSN account on both systems you should theoretically be able to use the same gamesave, unless the developer decided not to allow it somehow.

Basically, you will need to figure out which ones work and which ones don't on your own.

Message 6 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 7, 2010
Copy protected gamesaves will NOT let you select the copy option. That's how you can tell.

But gamesaves that are not copy protected, but do have trophy support will let you use them only with the same PSN ID that created them. So, as you noted, you'll have to have the same PSN ID on your other system in order to play them without the error message.
Message 7 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 7, 2010

Sweet. Thanks. That makes sense.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. I thought it seemed relevant.

Message 8 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Jul 7, 2010

Press Triangle on the saved game file and select Information. If the saved game is console locked, the "Lock" will say "Copy Prohibited".

Most games from EA and Capcom have console locked saved games.

Console locked saved game can only exist on one PS3 console. If you use the Migration Utility, it will transfer to the 2nd PS3 console and then erase the 1st PS3 console. With console locked saved games, you have to play on the same PS3 all the time if you want to be able to keep one progress throughout the game. It's the worst restriction ever done to PS3 games.

Message 9 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Jul 8, 2010

You can use a thumb drive by navigating to Saved Data Utility (PS3) under the game section of the XMB. Push triangle on the game save that you want and click copy, then select the USB drive that you want it saved on. Some game saves are copy protected, and the only way I have found to transfer them between PS3's is to do a system backup on an external hard drive from the first PS3, and then do a restore from the backup on your external hard drive on your second PS3.

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 10 of 12 (2,946 Views)
0 Likes