Highlighted
May 18 2012
By: Tereynz Splicer 56 posts
Accepted Solution

Transfer Utility or Backup Utility?

10 replies 1204 views Edited May 18, 2012

I am deciding on which I am going to do. I have a 500 GB HDD and I was planning to buy a 160GB PS3 Slim. I want to use that 500 GB on the PS3 Slim. Here are my choices:

A. Change the 160GB with a new 500 GB, then do a Transfer Utility

B. Remove the 160GB and use it as a Backup Device for 500 GB, then transfer the 500GB to the PS3 Slim, then restore the backup data.

Also, will the Game Data be included in the Transfer Utility or Backup Utility?

Message 1 of 11 (1,204 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

Re: Transfer Utility or Backup Utility?

May 18, 2012

Tereynz wrote:

I am deciding on which I am going to do. I have a 500 GB HDD and I was planning to buy a 160GB PS3 Slim. I want to use that 500 GB on the PS3 Slim. Here are my choices:

A. Change the 160GB with a new 500 GB, then do a Transfer Utility

B. Remove the 160GB and use it as a Backup Device for 500 GB, then transfer the 500GB to the PS3 Slim, then restore the backup data.

Also, will the Game Data be included in the Transfer Utility or Backup Utility?

If I understand what you're saying, neither of which can be done. The drive is formatted and encrypted, and the PS3 will only read a drive that is formatted to FAT32, and it won't detect an old drive. Any external drive would have to be reformatted to FAT32, and you'd wipe out any data in the process.

Message 2 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

May 18, 2012

Hm...

In A., what I wanted to say is that I will buy a new 160GB PS3 Slim, then change its hard drive with 500 GB. After that, I will do a transfer utility from my old PS3 to the new PS3.

In B, I will remove the 160 GB from the 160GB PS3 Slim, then use it as a backup device or external USB device for the old 500GB PS3, then transfer that 500GB to the PS3 Slim, then restore the data stored in the 160 GB to the new 500GB PS3 Slim.

The whole point of this post is that I want to ask wether the Game Data will be transferred with A(Transfer Utility) or B(Backup/Restore Data Utility).

Message 3 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28691 posts

May 18, 2012

Tereynz wrote:

Hm...

In A., what I wanted to say is that I will buy a new 160GB PS3 Slim, then change its hard drive with 500 GB. After that, I will do a transfer utility from my old PS3 to the new PS3.

In B, I will remove the 160 GB from the 160GB PS3 Slim, then use it as a backup device or external USB device for the old 500GB PS3, then transfer that 500GB to the PS3 Slim, then restore the data stored in the 160 GB to the new 500GB PS3 Slim.

The whole point of this post is that I want to ask wether the Game Data will be transferred with A(Transfer Utility) or B(Backup/Restore Data Utility).

And neither will work. The Back Up Utility will only work on the same PS3 that you've changed drives, and it won't work with a recently extracted drive that hasn't been formatted to the proper file system. You have to perform the back up BEFORE you change drives. If you take the drive out, put a new drive in, and then attempt to restore the data, it won't detect the old drive.

The Transfer Utility only works from one PS3 to another PS3 via an ethernet cable, and it will wipe the data from the old system after the transfer is complete.

There are directions in your owners manual on how to perform backups and how to use the transfer utility. If you don't have owner's manual (or if you're like many in the 21st century in that you only trust information you find online), you can find them here.

http://us.playstation.com/support/manuals/ps3/index.htm

Message 4 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

May 18, 2012

Ok, so it sounds like you have thought through the whole process of drives being locked to the console and not readable by another console if you just swap drives.

To answer your question directly, Game Data is transferred in both cases, with one exception. Copy protected game saves are not. You can use the Plus "cloud" to back those up and restore to the new console. I've only seen a few older games like some of the NFS games use copy protected save game files.

You may run into a problem with Opt B, because three of us on this forum have tested and run into a common issue when using regular old hard drives as an external backup device. I'm assuming you are using a USB adapter dongle for this like we were. Anyway, all three of us (kythunder, Logical Dolphin and me) confirmed the same unexplainable problem. The backups get created just fine, but they are un-restorable. You will get an error at a fixed percentage point of the restore process (seems to coincide at about the 4 GB mark).

It could be some drives work better than others, or something else. But since you will be taking the drive that has your data, wiping it before the restore in the new PS3, you could end up with nothing left, and then you are screwed.

Opt A might work better for you, unless you are saying that the 500 GB is the current drive in your first PS3. If that is the case, I highly advise you to either get an external flash drive for backup, or a get a new 500GB hard drive for the new slim.

Message 5 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

May 18, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The Back Up Utility will only work on the same PS3 that you've changed drives

I'm not sure if you are deliberately giving the wrong information to prove the point that info online is incorrect, but in the very manual pages online, it contradicts your statement. Ironic.

• Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3™ system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:
  • - Saved data from PlayStation®3 format software *1

(Except from the manual pages for backup/restore utility. Bolding added)

Also the manual pages on Data Transfer Utility says nothing about the source system getting wiped after the transfer. It does say the destination system will be wiped before the transfer. So I'm not sure if you are saying that from experience or if you got this info from somewhere else. But it's not in the manual as you indicate.

Message 6 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

May 19, 2012

So I will just buy a 160GB PS3 Slim, then buy a new 500GB HDD for Transfer Utility? Thank you very much

Message 7 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

May 19, 2012

If the 500GB drive you already have is the one in your old PS3, then yes, the safest thing would be get a new drive for the new PS3 and use the transfer utility.

Alternatively, you could try the following and it may save you a couple bucks.

Trim down your data on your old PS3, by deleting as much "game data" (not saved games) as possible. Things that will just automatically reinstall when you put in the disk later. You should be able to get your data down small enough to fit on a large flash drive. I just bought a 64GB drive for about $50, so that's not bad. You should be able to get things down under 64GB.

Then use the backup utility to the flash drive.

Get your new stock PS3 with the drive it comes with, and restore to the new PS3. If that works, then your new PS3 will have a working image on it's stock drive. If you want to at this point take the 500GB drive out of the old PS3, put it in the new, you can "restore" again to that 500GB drive in the new system.

Once you have the new system restored with the 500GB drive in it, you can take the stock drive from the new PS3 and put it in the old PS3. And you can try restoring there as well if you want.

The point of doing it this way is that you will not risk losing anything until you have confirmed a working restore to the new PS3.

That's how I would do it if I were you.

Message 8 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

May 19, 2012

Hmmm maybe I will just have a new 500GB HDD to be installed in the 160GB PS3 Slim and do a Transfer Utility, or maybe do what you just said. Thank you very much for your answers!

Message 9 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

May 19, 2012

I just remembered, I have a 60GB HDD from my old PS3. Maybe that would do.

Message 10 of 11 (1,205 Views)
0 Likes