Apr 27 2012
By: Emerald_Swords MVP Support 6695 posts

Touch Screen+ Weather conditions

5 replies 327 views Edited Apr 27, 2012

Hey guys,

So i live in this really cold place is Canada, it's starting to heat up abit but today was pretty chilly with lots of wind coming at me at every direction. I was using my vita as my music jukebox getting to school by bus, sometimes i have to wait 30-45 minutes for the next bus etc. Now im holding my vita in my hand the whole time, in about 5-10 minutes of being outside i notice that the screen is completely unresponsive to any of my commands.

Basically, the screen touches and selects everything by itself sort of like a ghost beneath this handheld, and whenever i want to select something, it just won't respond. Like lets say i want to play song X, so i attempt to select song X, but the vita will go ahead and select song Y; or if i want to press the back button, i won't actually go back i'll just stay on the same page lol..like completely unresponsive.

The main question to this is, does the vita get affected by certain weather conditions? Have you ever experienced this? I only experience this kind of problem when im outside and the weather is pretty cold.

Message 1 of 6 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
582 posts

Re: Touch Screen+ Weather conditions

Apr 27, 2012

same thing happened to my psp and psp go, all you have to do is return it and get a new one.

Message 2 of 6 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Apr 27, 2012

All electronic devices are subject to operational difficulties in extreme temperatures. The manual should show optimal temperature ranges that the device functions best under. Just how cold was it?

PS Vita Optimal Operating environment temperature: 5℃~35℃

Message 3 of 6 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
623 posts

Apr 27, 2012

I have seen this on several occasions with various touch devices when the screen gets wet or has been exposed to moisture. Especially on Apple iOS devices, and it happens with 2 nd gen and under iPods or 3 rd gen and under iPhones. That might not be what is happening to yours, but I have seen nearly identical symptoms caused this way. 9 out of 10 times all it needs is a good cleaning with a microfiber and making sure there is absolutily no moisture present. There could have been some condensation on the Vita from being in your warm possibly sweaty hands while also being exposed to the cold frigid air and wind.

"When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see the real you, or what you have been conditioned to believe is you? The two are so, so different. One is an infinite consciousness capable of being and creating whatever it chooses, the other is an illusion imprisoned by its own perceived and programmed limitations."
David Icke
Message 4 of 6 (327 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6695 posts

Apr 28, 2012

Death_Comes_Slow wrote:

I have seen this on several occasions with various touch devices when the screen gets wet or has been exposed to moisture. Especially on Apple iOS devices, and it happens with 2 nd gen and under iPods or 3 rd gen and under iPhones. That might not be what is happening to yours, but I have seen nearly identical symptoms caused this way. 9 out of 10 times all it needs is a good cleaning with a microfiber and making sure there is absolutily no moisture present. There could have been some condensation on the Vita from being in your warm possibly sweaty hands while also being exposed to the cold frigid air and wind.

Mind you i even have the screen protector applied so it shouldn't be a problem, but today was pretty windy and chilly. I've had some liquid spilled on the screen by accident but haven't come across the same issue as of yet. I do find it extremely weird though, it's like the screen operates by itself when it reaches a certain internal or external temperature.

I'll definitely try to record a short video if the weather tomorrow is cold just to show you guys how weird this is.

Message 5 of 6 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
623 posts

Apr 28, 2012

It is very unusual and certainly a unique type of problem. I realize that you mentioned a protective film even being in place, but that would not effect the type of problem I was sugesting reguarding possible exposure to liquids. Here's what happens, on iPods/iPhones/iPads cause I have not heard of this on the Vita, but the type of components are very similar and could solve your problem. OK the way that the modern touch devices are able to "sense" our fingers when we touch it is by using a device normally refered to as a digitizer. What it is able to detect is the very small static electric charge that we all possess. As a matter of fact many things have some form of very minute static charge. For the digitizer to be able to use it with such acuracy is by also needing there to be a good, complete point of contact. That is why the old hard plastic stylus pens from say an old blackberry will not only leave scratchs, but will not be able to be "seen" at all on any modern touch based device. They even have special soft rubber tipped stylus pens for iOS products and other touch screen products. Well the thing that will sometimes happen when there is moisture present on the digitizer is that it will start picking up a whole bunch of different points of contact from the liquid being able to make a very solid point of contact. Remember that we are made mostly of water anyway right? The result will be just what you have described. The device looking as though it has a mind of its own and begins to do things like changing screens, turning things on or off, opening apps, and also will have a hard time seeing any thing you are doing. You might have noticed that although it is able to have several simultaneous movements and points of contact at the same time; most of the time if you are touching the screen on accident say on the edge, it will not detect your fingers until you fix your grip so there is no longer any other points of contact besides the one you want it to see. The liquid only has to be present on the outer surface for this to occur, not actually on the inside. And for the protective film, that is only for stopping the screen from being scratched, not for blocking liquids. And they are able to completely cover the screen but still let you use the touch screen. So that why they will not prevent liquids from also being able to effect the touch screen. I am not trying to say you have a broken or defective device. Nor am I saying that this is what your problem is from. It could very well be a result of the exposure to extreme cold or from countless other factors. But after reading what you mentioned about the spilling of liquids ::"I've had so0e liquid spilled on the screen by accident but haven't come across the same issue as of yet."  I would say that liquid causing the issue is a very good place to start looking for your problem. One final note; you are almost always able to fix the  problem with a simple b esk

"When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see the real you, or what you have been conditioned to believe is you? The two are so, so different. One is an infinite consciousness capable of being and creating whatever it chooses, the other is an illusion imprisoned by its own perceived and programmed limitations."
David Icke
Message 6 of 6 (327 Views)
0 Likes