Oct 15 2012
By: moblesuit75 PlayStation MVP 4402 posts
Accepted Solution

Top 5 Must have PSP games, Past and Present

19 replies 2402 views Edited Oct 15, 2012

I own an original PSP.  I have had less and less time to play the system over the years, and I am not going to get a Vita.  With the age if the system, cheap used games are usually in abundance.  I already own the following games, for better or for worse":

Ace Combat

Grand Theft Auto

God of War

Lumines

Practical Intelligence Quotient

Kill Zone

Mod Racer Nation

Strike Force

MLB 10

Admittedly, it is not an impressive listing.  I have sold some in the past, and only really bought what was either a bargain or what interested me at the time.  That being said, what games (going top 5 here) that I do not already own, are worth a purchase?  You can include download only games or hard copies.  For that matter, what formats would you suggest as well (download or Hard Copy)?

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (2,402 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10745 posts

Re: Top 5 Must have PSP games, Past and Present

Oct 15, 2012

Hard copies are always the more preferred method. That way you can trade, sell, or even let someone else borrow the game when you're done. Going by your list of owned titles though, you may not care much for the following suggestions as these aren't shooter-based or blood-heavy.

One of the best all-time series for the handheld is the LocoRoco series. Two games were released and both were excellent. It's a musical platformer that has you guiding these blob-like creatures through the world. As they eat they grow in size and have a common enemy drenched in darkness.

Another favorite includes Jeanne D'Arc. This unique strategy-RPG combines many hours of engaging storytelling. The gameplay has control over an assorted line of human and animal creatures. For instance, you'll be able to do battle with a lion creature (if memory serves correctly). Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is another must-play strategy-RPG. Haven't played the game before? Now's your chance to step into one of the world's best-rated classics (now with enhanced cinematics).

Lastly, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters is another game I could recommend. It's another platformer, but this one of course blends gunplay into the fray. The game feels like a Ratchet and Clank through and through, though the story comes across as one of the franchise's cheesiest.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (2,396 Views)
Survivor
2596 posts

Oct 26, 2012

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. It would be blasphemist if you didn't play it!

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (2,298 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 26, 2012

The YS Book I and II game is pretty fantastic. I'm loving the remake. And as a person who didn't play the Final Fantasy games as a kid the 20th anniversary versions are really fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (2,286 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 4, 2012
I did not enjoy Mod Nation on PSP, I had trouble driving with the joystick/ nub.
Ever since I broke my brothers copy of WipeOut Pure I have stuck with digital copies, now I can play most of them on my Vita.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (2,201 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5943 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Well let's see, a top 5 of mine from games you do not own:

1) Patapon 2. I'd recommend playing the original, but it isn't necessary. This game is downright addicting.

2) Daxter. Fantastic tie in between The Precursor Legacy and Jak II. A must if you are a fan of the Jak and Daxter series.

3) Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. A fun little bite sized title featuring everyone's favorite Lombax! Not up to par of the main series, but still a great game in it's own right.

4) Dead Head Fred. A hidden gem if you ask me. This game is a classic dark noir style game, complete with mature humor and fantastic writing. John C. McGinley absolutely nails Fred's character. Truly a blast to play. 

5) Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror. A great addition to the Syphon Filter series.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (2,089 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Nov 25, 2012

My top 5:

SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 2

Little Big Planet

Burnout Legends

Grand Theft Auto

Nascar 07

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (2,082 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Bulletpainpills wrote:

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. It would be blasphemist if you didn't play it!

Wow, sorry for the delay in this response. :smileyvery-happy:

After MGS III, I just got burnt out on the series.  Although the story kept getting better, the final fight was always the same.  Yes, I know it is Metal Gear, but do you seriously have to fight Metal Gear at the end of every title?  Maybe I will pick up the PSP versions, someday.  I just don't have the motivation.  I guess that makes me blasphomous :smileywink:.

Thank you for the input though. :smileyhappy:

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (2,067 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Nov 26, 2012

RatchetH22 wrote:

Well let's see, a top 5 of mine from games you do not own:

1) Patapon 2. I'd recommend playing the original, but it isn't necessary. This game is downright addicting.

2) Daxter. Fantastic tie in between The Precursor Legacy and Jak II. A must if you are a fan of the Jak and Daxter series.

3) Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. A fun little bite sized title featuring everyone's favorite Lombax! Not up to par of the main series, but still a great game in it's own right.

4) Dead Head Fred. A hidden gem if you ask me. This game is a classic dark noir style game, complete with mature humor and fantastic writing. John C. McGinley absolutely nails Fred's character. Truly a blast to play. 

5) Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror. A great addition to the Syphon Filter series.

I just recently got Ratchet and Clank 4, or something like that, free through PLUS.  I have not played any of the series to date.  I guess it just came out when I was beyond those types of games.  I am a little old.  I certainly intend to play the one I got.  If I like it, I will probably pick up the PSP version too.

I did enjoy Syphon Filter, some time ago.  Maybe I will pick up the PSP game.

Thank you.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (2,066 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 22, 2012

Hello, mobilesuit75.  The top 5 games that I've played are:

1.  Madden 10

2.  Fight Night Round 3

3.  Sega Genesis Collection

4.  Star Ocean:  Second Evolution

5.  Megaman Maverick Hunter X

Maybe you could give these a try.  All of these titles are available on the Playstation Store (except Star Ocean: Second Evolution)

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (1,856 Views)