Namco Museum Battle Collection
SNK Arcade
Message 11 of 20 (576 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Top 5 Must have PSP games, Past and Present

Jan 10, 2013

I can't believe nobody has even given Monster Hunter Freedom Unite a mention.

This was the first game I ever got for my PSP. It is the game I have devited the most time to; I've clocked over 500 hours in total with it. I'll occasionally play a different game for a while, but I eventually come back to MHFU.

If there's a game that deserves to be on any recommended list, it's definitely MHFU.

Message 12 of 20 (493 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4419 posts

Jan 11, 2013

one23zane321 wrote:

This was the first game I ever got for my PSP. It is the game I have devited the most time to; I've clocked over 500 hours in total with it. I'll occasionally play a different game for a while, but I eventually come back to MHFU.

If there's a game that deserves to be on any recommended list, it's definitely MHFU.

I have seen screen shots of this game, but I usually go for more action orientated games or ones with more adult content.

Is MH like a Pokemon, or a Plants Vs Zombies, or a Facebook Farm?  Not quite sure what the game details.  If you elaborate for those of us who don't know.

Moble

Message 13 of 20 (485 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
4692 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

one23zane321 wrote:

I have seen screen shots of this game, but I usually go for more action orientated games or ones with more adult content.

Is MH like a Pokemon, or a Plants Vs Zombies, or a Facebook Farm?  Not quite sure what the game details.  If you elaborate for those of us who don't know.

Moble

I haven't played the games, but it doesn't look like any of those to me, and didn't seem like a kid's game.  Maybe you're thinking of the old Monster Rancher games?

Message 14 of 20 (483 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4419 posts

Jan 11, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

one23zane321 wrote:

Moble

I haven't played the games, but it doesn't look like any of those to me, and didn't seem like a kid's game.  Maybe you're thinking of the old Monster Rancher games?

Perhaps.  I will Google Monster Hunter then, and get back to you on it,  Still, as I said in the OP, I am not totally opposed to any game.  Just looking to see what I may have missed.

I will check it out.  Thank you for your suggestion.

Moble

Message 15 of 20 (480 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2712 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2013

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is hands down my favorite PSP game. Ignoring frame-rate drops and some weak audio it basically improved over the original PSone version.

Message 16 of 20 (463 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Jan 16, 2013

LSD Dream Emulator, nuff said. :smileyvery-happy:

Message 17 of 20 (448 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
741 posts

Feb 3, 2013

My top 5 games?

1. Jeanne D'arc

2. Gundam VS Gundam (original not next +)

3. WipEout Pulse

4. Ys Seven

5. Persona 3 Portable (a hard choice, but I forgot what I really chose as my number 5)

With the vita coming in, I think this is the last time I will probably change this list for awhile. I still have to play tactics ogre so that might change this list but I played close to 100 games and this is the best I could come up with.

Message 18 of 20 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 3, 2013

God of War: Chains of Olympus, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker & Resistance Retribution....  True story...  The first 2 games I played on my Vita were GOW COO & GOW GOS...  The cool thing is because I purchased them from the PS Store, I can load them on both of my handhelds...  Of course I had drop $20.00 per game for that privilege...

Message 19 of 20 (359 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2013

Not much of a "Top 5", but more "Five Games I Favor"...

1. CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII- -- When I played this, it was on my brother's PSP-1001, which killed my thumb and wrist, since this is a mash-X sort of game (unlike the next entry, this is more rapid menu-based input, IIRC). The seemingly random D.M.W battle/level system might throw one off, too. However, this is the strongest COMPILATION entry for me, and really endeared me to Zack. Compared to Cloud's baseline and breakdowns, Zack's exuberance was refreshing, and fits well with the Action-RPG bend the game goes for. All the dramatic turns feel all the more due to the jovial antics and situations of our hero, who really does just want to be "the hero", in spite of all the crap being thrown. And for whatever Bastion accomplished (I need to play that), Yahtzee could do with playing through CC-FFVII-, where all the aforementioned ties into the final scenario (still listen to that song, and feel my heart breaking again).
  2. KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep -- Truly "Kingdom Hearts 0", this game is dalmations short of being console-worthy. Really hope to see it in an HD ReMIX, because the music, the villains, and the new worlds are too crediting to the series after CHAINII, and Days all tread too familiar grounds and characters (though, like CC above, Days' end gets me). I'd say what really makes this for me is facing the villains. The player characters are alright, but their entanglements with the bad guys' plans are ace, and really fuel fighting them, which themselves are spectacular. Ventus's are my favorite, especially because of his battle theme.
  3. DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY -- Right off: story's not gonna be clear. That out of the way, this is a nice fighter for those not into traditional button-combo fighters. Moreso than PSASBR, this is the Smash Bros. for Sony systems. Much as the characters may end up distilled, there's a boatload of fanservice here, particularly in flavor texts, like attack/equipment names, Help screens, and character banter. Shame Gilgamesh stole his music from Exdeath in duodecim, though, since it was so well-tuned to his boss scene...
  4. Brave Story: New Traveler -- Only on UMD, now, since licensing got it pulled. While I haven't finished it, this is bog-standard JRPG fare, but it's charming nonetheless. There's learned combos, but they come with time. There's crafting, but it's simple and risk-free. It's an RPG you don't have to micromanage, and I appreciate it. What keep driving back into my head, though, is the XMB music (so grand), which is better than some of the in-battle "cries".
  5. Corpse Party -- I'ven't managed to get far in this, but XSEED (same as above) are great localizers, so even what fraction I've survived has been great reading, and the aesthetic is pix'n kickin'. Something really unsettling about seeing bones with such pixel-perfect ambiguity. Like the simple graphics are obscuring a terrible true nature.

Aside from others of mine you may hear well of (FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, the Ys games*, the Persona games, LUNAR, the God of War games**) I'd like some honorable mentions to go to The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (more JRPGing, though I keep conceiving it as SRPG), Half-Minute Hero (see *, sans said pros), Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (the most lauded of classic and Metroidvania styles), Crush (a darker aesthetic than CRUSH 3D, but handling isn't great), Valkyria Chronicles II (recently price-dropped, though its DLC's stayed steadily five bucks), and...why not, let's say Patchwork Heroes, one of my earliest purchases.

This only touches on, like, half my collection (not that I've played as much as I ought), and doesn't breach my wishlist (Dead Head Fred, as said) or the minis (SHIFT extended is another that's no longer available...), but hopefully something will strike out to ya.

*Steadily becoming available through Steam, though there are PSP-particular pros.
**I enjoyed Chain of Olympus.

Message 20 of 20 (286 Views)
0 Likes