Dec 02 2012
By: bjbakedfive First Son 6 posts

Took PS3 apart to fix, now there is no power at all

8 replies 1156 views Edited Dec 2, 2012

My PS3 was only turning on for second and then turning off with the yellow light so I took it apart to fix the YLOD problem. After I put it back together it would turn on for a couple minutes and then turn off because it overheated because the fan wouldn't turn on. Also, nothing was showing up on the screen, it just stayed blue, so I tried going into safe mode a few times by holding the power button for a few seconds and it would work but the PS3 would never stay on long enough to do anything. So I took it apart again and realized I hadn't plugged the fan back in. So after I plugged the fan back in I thought it was going to be fixed but then the power wouldn't turn on at all, as in the red light wouldn't even go on.  I've taken it apart and put it back together three times now and can't find any loose cables, I suppose the power box could just not work anymore, but the timing of it seemed odd, seems more likely that it's something that I did.  Could trying to start in safe mode a few times have caused the problem? Is there anyway to test to see if the power box still works?

Message 1 of 9 (1,156 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Took PS3 apart to fix, now there is no power at all

Dec 2, 2012

Its something that you did...

Either the power supply is fried, or the entire console is borked.....

Either way, you're screwed.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 9 (1,152 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1976 posts

Dec 3, 2012
? sniped a cord..
Message 3 of 9 (1,137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Dec 3, 2012
Do you have a Multimeter? Depending on your power supply model, it should output a constant 5V whenever it's plugged in.

Unfortunately, there's a *lot* of ways how it could have gone wrong, and it is going to be very difficult to offer help on the forums.
Message 4 of 9 (1,135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Do you mean turning it on and measuring the power box in the PS3/

Message 5 of 9 (1,111 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Triple check all the push in cables.

Also the ribbon cables have special connectors that pull out easily, make sure the ribbon is the right way up.

take a picture of the inside and post it here for further help.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 6 of 9 (1,098 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:
Do you have a Multimeter? Depending on your power supply model, it should output a constant 5V whenever it's plugged in.

Unfortunately, there's a *lot* of ways how it could have gone wrong, and it is going to be very difficult to offer help on the forums.

Theres a 12VDC circuit too.  its the big posts the power supply sits on.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 7 of 9 (1,097 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 4, 2012

In all the youtube videos I've seen of people using multimeter's to test their power supplies on the ps3, they all have ps3's that will turn on, and they test the voltage when they turn the ps3 on. But as I said, my ps3 won't even turn the red standby light on, so I can't turn it on, so how can I test my power supply using a multimeter to see if it's the problem?

Message 8 of 9 (1,079 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 5, 2012

ttt

Message 9 of 9 (1,065 Views)
0 Likes