Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 28 2013
By: fede01_8 Sackboy 485 posts

Tomb Raider and downloading

10 replies 81 views Edited Apr 28, 2013
Can anyone confirm if while playing Tomb Raider (digital version) you can download games and stuff. I know some games stop the downloads even when not playing multiplayer.
No speculation, please
Message 1 of 11 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7617 posts

Re: Tomb Raider and downloading

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

It depends on the game you are playing, not how big the file is.

Some games just don't like downloading in the background even offline.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 2 of 11 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Apr 28, 2013
I know, that's what I said! Who's talking about file sizes?
Message 3 of 11 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Apr 28, 2013
Hahaha
I'm still downloading Tomb Raider and i'll let you know as soon as it happens.
Message 4 of 11 (69 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12336 posts

Apr 28, 2013
No, you can't download while playing Tomb Raider.
And as a general rule of thumb, if the game features any online multiplayer of any kind, it will never allow downloads in the background
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 11 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Apr 28, 2013
That's not quite truth. Both Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Worms Revolution have multiplayer and you iu can download while playing.
Message 6 of 11 (60 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12336 posts

Apr 28, 2013
That's why I said General rule of thumb. Most of the popular games, especially more recent games, block background downloads. Assassin's creed 1 allows downloads, but every other assassin's creed does not. Even some games with no multiplayer (Crysis 1), block downloads. But then the older games (Prototype 1) do not
Message 7 of 11 (55 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8500 posts

Apr 28, 2013

The truth is that ALL games allow for SOME background downloading.  It does not depend entirely on whether or not a game has multiplayer functionality.

It depends on how the game utilizes the memory and if the game being played allows for any free RAM (among other system resources) to be utilized for the download in progress.  A lot of games, however, slow the background download so much that it might as well be pausing it.

Basically, if a game is graphic intensive, or has a lot of elements to keep track of, it's going to slow the download pretty much to a pause.  I would assume that Tomb Raider would be one of these (the system needs to track the location of all of the forest critters, even if they are not on screen).  Worms Revolution is not particularly graphic intensive, so that's why it allows for background downloading at near full speed.  Most racing games (particualarly in single player modes) tend to recycle a lot of the on screen elements, so the PS3 has a bit more resources freed up while it is playing and therefore can support the background download at varying speeds.

Pretty much all download-capable devices function in much the same way.  The big problem with the PS3 is the fact that the system only has 256MB of RAM to use between the active application (game) and other functionality.  Just bringing up the XMB while playing a game uses resources, so it's hard to know if a download is continuing while a game is active.

When you are actively playing a multiplayer mode, the download is probably paused, because the PS3 is utilizing any extra resources to track the location of other players, so it can display them.  Just playing online does not, by itself, use all of your download bandwidth (most online games only utilize about 1-2Mbps).  It is purely about system resources.

Message 8 of 11 (51 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12336 posts

Apr 28, 2013
Well I had a download going, went to play Crysis 1. Played for 8 hours. Download did not increase by even 1KB. The download was just "pending". If it truly was downloading at SOME rate, it'd say so
Message 9 of 11 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Apr 28, 2013
That makes sense. Just Cause 2 doesn't have any MP at all and still doesn't allow background downloading
Message 10 of 11 (45 Views)
0 Likes