Splicer
84 posts

Re: To Upgrade HDD or Not to Upgrade HDD

Jan 31, 2013

kmg90 wrote:

ieswkMN wrote:

Yup, should get it by Monday. now I just need to find a big enough HDD or Flash drive to back up all the stuff currently on my PS so I could go through the process of installing and restoring data. Then im gonna install all my disc games back on and download every single ps plus game i ever got. Kinda excited for all this lol, really wish they would allow you to install games and run them without the disc on your console. Least that way I dont have to get up to change disc... im really lazy 

I just upgraded to my PS3 to the Scorpio Black 750GB earlier this week from 320GB  Scorpio Black that was running out of space to hold my growing digital downloads and PS+ offerings...

It working great so far, my only issue I've run into is my concern over the Advance Format 4k sectors that the hard drive has and whether or not the PS3 is compatible with it (which if not only results in slight performance loss with certain read write operations)

I believe the PS3's firmware was updated to support AF. That's another reason I went with the 320GB because it's not AF.

Message 21 of 31 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

Overall, the scorpio blacks are the bomb

Message 22 of 31 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Feb 1, 2013
oh okay, how funny is that though. Decided to get the harddrive and then possible ps4 announcement coming up lol. hopefully its compatible although knowing sony, the ps4 may use a ssd drive or something ><
Message 23 of 31 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Feb 1, 2013

ieswkMN wrote:
oh okay, how funny is that though. Decided to get the harddrive and then possible ps4 announcement coming up lol. hopefully its compatible although knowing sony, the ps4 may use a ssd drive or something ><

Yeah, but it's just an announcement, the actual release is still yet some time away.

Message 24 of 31 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2013

NY11725 wrote:

Overall, the scorpio blacks are the bomb

I concur, I love my Scorpio Black. 

Message 25 of 31 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Feb 2, 2013
Yea i know.... May get the HD today so looking forward to that.
Message 26 of 31 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Feb 4, 2013

ieswkMN wrote:
Yea i know.... May get the HD today so looking forward to that.

How did it go?

Message 27 of 31 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Getting it in a couple hours. Wread thing though that the ps3 backup utility doesn't back up copyrighted stuff like games etc. so is it that all my ps3 games I'd have to Download them over and seeing as I have psn plus cloud storage I don't need to backup my ps before installation?

Message 28 of 31 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Feb 5, 2013

ieswkMN wrote:

Getting it in a couple hours. Wread thing though that the ps3 backup utility doesn't back up copyrighted stuff like games etc. so is it that all my ps3 games I'd have to Download them over and seeing as I have psn plus cloud storage I don't need to backup my ps before installation?

Yes the back up utility is suppose to back up everything, and restore it just the way it was on the old hdd. The only thing I think it doesn't is video content.

What I did is I used a flash drive to back up the saved data, some games won't let you and only let you do cloud, but I backed up the ones I could on the flash drive, and I just said hell with the others. I just downloaded all my games again, and copied the saved data back over from the flash drive, and I was good to go. I had sony reauthorize my video content, and I redownloaded that as well.

Message 29 of 31 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Feb 5, 2013

got the drive setup and im downloading and installing all my games. Thanks guys for all the advice

Message 30 of 31 (64 Views)
0 Likes