Jan 21 2013
By: ieswkMN Lombax Warrior 148 posts
Accepted Solution

To Upgrade HDD or Not to Upgrade HDD

30 replies 500 views Edited Jan 21, 2013

With rumors of next gen ps4 being revealed soon, Ive been wondering if i should still upgrade my PS3 HDD. I intend on getting rid of the PS3 as soon as the new console becomes avaiable however currently with some recent home-run hits with PSN Plus and my intent to purchase digital Ni No Kuni for 19Gbs I'm wondering if such a purchase is wise or should I just suck it up and find ways to make more space available. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 31 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2186 posts

Re: To Upgrade HDD or Not to Upgrade HDD

Jan 21, 2013

You can upgrade your PS3's HDD to at least 500 GB for only $60 to $70 (going by the prices on newegg.com) so I say just go for it.  Even if the PS3's successor launches later this year you're only really spending as much as a new game is worth so I wouldn't even count it as a loss.

Message 2 of 31 (489 Views)
Sackboy
426 posts

Jan 21, 2013

Here's how to save money and get the most out of your PS3:

You can go buy a fat32 formated external harddrive and put your save game files on it and remove some of the BIG data games you don't play anymore. If you delete a game from your systems hdd you won't lose the trophy info, or saved game data. Also PSN games you buy and download take up a lot of space play and beath the game as much as you want than delete it from the system. if you want to play it again it will be saved in your Account Managment- Downloads/ Transactions History. However movies arent this way so if you have any downloaded movies move them to the external HDD. 

You can save a lot of money on the upgrade by doing this. I found a formated ext. for $39.99

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 3 of 31 (472 Views)
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 21, 2013

Well im in the I.T. field so getting a HDD and formating it isnt a problem and well I have Playstation Plus so I can store my saves in the cloud. The problem is really all those game installs, so having Metal Gear Solid 4 installed for 9Gbs, Infamous for 7 etc adds up plus well the whole double the space to install. I was eventually able to free up 43 Gbs so I should be clear for the download tomorrow. I guess 50-60 dollars isnt that bad I guess i'd just try to be a little stricter with games I'm keeping on my PS till upgrade time

Message 4 of 31 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

Jan 21, 2013

I won't download a game that i can get the disc based copy of. Disc based versions install less on your system then downloading them from the PS store.

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 5 of 31 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

If you go with a western digital, stay away from the newer green and blue series. They have serious aggressive head parking which can cause major game stutter.

I went with the Black Series,'

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280&Tpk=scorpio%20black%20320gb

I went with that one because it does not have AF. I didn't want a AF drive. I did forfeit all that extra space for only like 5 dollars less, but you don't really need that much for a ps3.

I also exchanged my thermal paste, and cleaned out the whole case, and fan, and I don't notice any heat issues with the 7200RPM drive. I am very happy with my choice. I also bought it last week when it was on sale for 15% off. So, it only cost me a little under $60.

Message 6 of 31 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 23, 2013
@Splicer ive never been a fan of WD, I alway use SeaGate whenever im purchasing HDD, as for @Lombax Warrior while that is true I prefer digital downloads as I dont have to swap the disc. I can keep my Madden 13 in the tray and still have access to my Street Fighter and now Ni No Kuni. I wish they would do away with all the excessive copyright stuff and allow you to play games without the disc sigh...
Message 7 of 31 (421 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Jan 23, 2013

NY11725 wrote:

If you go with a western digital, stay away from the newer green and blue series. They have serious aggressive head parking which can cause major game stutter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280&Tpk=scorpio%20black%20320gb

I went with that one because it does not have AF. I didn't want a AF drive. I did forfeit all that extra space for only like 5 dollars less, but you don't really need that much for a ps3.

I also exchanged my thermal paste, and cleaned out the whole case, and fan, and I don't notice any heat issues with the 7200RPM drive. I am very happy with my choice. I also bought it last week when it was on sale for 15% off. So, it only cost me a little under $60.

Kind of a false statement because my 500Gb WD Blue drive performs just fine after 4-5 years with games run off the hdd.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 31 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

NY11725 wrote:

Kind of a false statement because my 500Gb WD Blue drive performs just fine after 4-5 years with games run off the hdd.

Not a false statement as I said the " newer " green and blue series. If you had your scorpio blue for 4-5 years, then you do not have a newer model of either series. I've done tons of homework on both series, and as of date , both series have aggressive head parking. I would of loved to been able to buy the model you have, but it was discontinued of course  Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 31 (407 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

I added a bigger HD to my fat PS3 a few months ago. Was still using the stock 80gb. Upgraded to a 1TB drive and love having all the space for PS+ downloads. I have a crap load of stuff installed and still have 643GB free.

Message 10 of 31 (396 Views)
0 Likes