PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Tips on Upgrading to 500GB Hard Drive

Nov 13, 2011

JBone_-34DD- wrote:

i got you now, so am i right then- firmware on flash drive, blank hdd,hook both up, power on and should work- if not enter in safe mode and restore system #6  correct? and btw the only thing i was using was a ext hdd formated in fat32 and i guess it couldnt find it. and i think they should take a Microsoft approach, plug n play lol

I do have to say that the PS3 is very "PC" in its approach in how it operates, it is easy to use but sometimes requires some technical proficiency. Like the PC the PS3 uses many common PC items like USB cables and standard notebook hard drives.

Ironically the X360 is very "Apple-like" in its approach. Very straightforward and easy to use for just about everyone. Many of the X360 accessories are proprietary. While you have to buy certain ones, at least you know they won't be incompatible.

Both approaches are valid, but I think Sony needs to make improvements in the PS4 where it doesn't give out incomprehensible error codes, and has a more user friendly approach to doing upgrades...

Message 81 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 13, 2011

i am swappin out the hdd now and will be rebooting t minus 15min lol

Message 82 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 13, 2011

its all about the ease of use, and I am glad a dummy like myself has somewhere to turn, but im with you i will say you know what your doin man

Message 83 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 13, 2011

GENIOUS man, i am formatting as we speak... now just restore my data after all is done right? thank you very much man

Message 84 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 13, 2011

all up and running man... i am settin up all my stuff now, when u got time id like to by you a drink lol like i said you are the man bro, i hope anyone followin any ps3 upgrading just stick to the basic stuff which is exactly what i needed to hear and find out. its not made of wood but i PIMPED MY PS3... all with the help of Logical_Dolphin and it wouldnt be without ne1atall you guys are the bomb thanks again very much also logic any tips on puttin my backup data back on the ol ps3

Message 85 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 13, 2011

all set n ready to rock... hahaha whoo     827GB FREE/ 931GB  that is a sight for sure in this old machine lol

Message 86 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 13, 2011

I wonder why the hard drive didn't work for you the first time around. Maybe it wasn't plugged in tightly the first time?

Use Backup Utility to restore from your external USB drive to your new big drive. Remember to maintain backups. More storage means more responsibility.

Message 87 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 14, 2011

i dont know why, it would just keep saying cannot start system cannot read hard disk! anyways just stick with this thread and it will rock your socks off... lol btw all of my backed up files came through 100% even my wallpaper and themes were applied as well. talk about textbook huh. lmfao  i am planning on it always to maintain backups, as with my pc. i have a 500GB ext hdd and that seems to be enough for now but eventually i will upgrade to a 2 or even 3 tb ext hdd for all of my backups, pc,ps3,psp,kindle, etc, etc... oh and i did have it plugged in tight because the first time i got to safe mode but somehow the data was not reading from my ext hdd, so i bought a flash drive and whala.. here we are.  once again thank you all for the time in helping me out, i was rackin my brains but now i can rest easy

Message 88 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 14, 2011

and 1 last thing before i enjoy the fruits of my labor... the hard disc i purchased is a Samsung 1TB 5400rpm 9.5mm 8mb cache m6 spinpoint with sata 3.0gbps item# HN-M101MBB which i purchased from other world computing in woodstock, ill for 125$ with free shipping, cant beat that with a stick. anyone interested google otherworldcomputing.com !!!! total i spent with new 16GB flash drive which was 12.99 --138$--  i hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me out thanks all again!!!!!

Message 89 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 14, 2011

I'm glad you got it to work. Now you know what to do if you want to upgrade again. FYI, this proceedure was much easier on the original 20/60/80GB models, where you only had to plug in a new hard drive and the PS3 would automatically format it and set it up. What changed was that Sony cut the amount of flash memory that held the firmware. On the older PS3s the firmware fit entirely on the flash memory. On the newest PS3s there is only enough flash memory to hold the barebones part of the firmware, the rest has to be on the hard drive, and that is why this proceedure has gotten more complicated.

I may upgrade to a 1TB drive myself this year, hear's hoping that Fry's sells one for under $100 for Black Friday...

Message 90 of 91 (54 Views)
0 Likes