Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Tips on Upgrading to 500GB Hard Drive

Apr 10, 2011

JuannyCash wrote:

Ok, that clarifies everything. Now it sound less risky, but is there any risk to doing it this way? Have you tryed (or have heard of anyone trying) this method?

Now I don't want to just toss my old HDD, I still want to use it. After everything is done, would I be able to use it as an external HDD?

It's the same method with the risk outlined above. There is plenty of risk if the backup files fail to restore, because you will have nothing to fall back on. You can reduce some of the risk by making another manual backup of individual game saves onto a spare USB thumb drive with Saved Data Utility.

The Backup Utility isn't perfect. Some people have lost all the game saves that way. If you had another spare external drive, then you could keep your 60 GB PS3 drive with all its data until you are sure everything copied over safely to your new 500 GB drive.

Message 21 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Apr 10, 2011

JuannyCash wrote:

Solar_Difusion wrote:

The PS3 backup utility packages everything onto the FAT32 drive into DAT files.  Those you can copy to a PC and then back to a FAT32 drive.

You format 500GB drive to FAT32 using a PC and backup the PS3 to it. Then copy the PS3 folder to your PC.

Then you format the 60GB to FAT32 using a PC and copy the PS3 folder to the 60GB.  Then you can restore that backup to the PS3 (after you install and let the PS3 format your 500GB HDD).

Ok, that clarifies everything. Now it sound less risky, but is there any risk to doing it this way? Have you tryed (or have heard of anyone trying) this method?

Now I don't want to just toss my old HDD, I still want to use it. After everything is done, would I be able to use it as an external HDD?

You do risk losing your data if you do not have a total of three drives: The original 60GB Drive, the new 500GB Drive, and an external drive.

If you backup the PS3 onto the 500GB drive and then format the 60GB drive, you have only ONE backup and it's on the 500GB drive.  If that backup is messed up or corrupt (in the backup process or something) then you have lost all your data.

If all goes well, you have upgraded your PS3 and you have a 60GB drive which you can use as an external drive.

But there is that risk that that backup will mess up.  I'm not sure how big of a risk, none of my friends have had bad backups, and I have not had any, and i've done many backups and restores.

But I've seen some people online claim they've had corrupt backups, and cannot restore from them.

Message 22 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011

Alrighty!!! Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will go ahead and try this method. I have a 16gb m2 in a pro duo adapter and since my PS3 has the pro duo slot, I'll back up my game saves and other important stuff onto it, just in case of a bad backup. Thanks again

Message 23 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011

That spare HDD I mentioned earlier is a 40GB HDD. So what I gonna do is buy a HDD enclosure, transfer some files over to the 16gb M2, and backup the rest to the 40gb HDD. So in case its a bad backup, I'll still have the 60gb HDD with the original files to try the backup again.

Message 24 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Apr 10, 2011

They are correct, that is what you need to do. You need a 3rd party software to format your 500gb to fat32. Use the one I suggested earlier, really easy to use and its free.

Message 25 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Apr 12, 2011

1. Back up ONLY Game Saves to Flash Drive Or Cloud

2. Replace Old 60GB with New 500GB (No Need To Format Before Hand)

3. Follow Onscreen Instructions

4. Restore Game Saves

5. Purchase 2.5 Inch HDD Enclosure

6. Connect External HDD 60GB to Comp

7. RightClick My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, Select Unallocated 60GB External, Create Partition

8. Aquire Software That Is Able to Format in Fat32

9. Format External in Fat32

10.....you now have a back up drive for PS3/PC

Message 26 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 11, 2011

New hard drive in Playstation 3 but it will not format? 

i am new to this site. any way i am havin the same probs as all of these peeps have as well. thought it would be easy but not as easy would be the right stuff lol. first off i have an older ps3 fat with latest firmware on original hdd. i purchased a new internal 1tb samsung spinpoint # hn-m101mbb raw hdd. plugged it in raw this came up cannot start system cannot read hard disc. so through talkin with techs found out had to format in fat 32. i did have best buy geek squad do it for free, they said they did. and also said should be able to hook right up and format. but did the same thing. i would like to use a 1tb internal but anything 500gb and hight would be great! i also did purchase a wd blue scorpio as a backup in case this samsung cant work, which i heard the wd will work, then i would just send the samsung back. any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated as this ps3 thing is really complicated lol

Message 27 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 12, 2011

Formatting FAT32 isn't likely to help because the PS3 doesn't use FAT32 on its internal drive.

Try the WD drive when it arrives. Maybe you'll have better luck with it. If the WD works, then put the Samsung into an external USB case and use it to maintain backups. Do be careful when handling sensitive electronics to avoid electrostatic discharge.

Message 28 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Nov 12, 2011

thanx for the reply potatobreath, so if i am getting this right... the 1tb hdd i am usin wont work right? so technically speaking the hdd i get to put in, the ps3 should just read and ask to format right? that would be the only thing that this 1tb samsung doesnt do.it just keeps sayin no matter what i do or format it jus says system cannot start, system cannot read hdd... thanks for the reply

Message 29 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 12, 2011

Both drives should work. I can't tell exactly why the Samsung drive isn't working for you though. Which model of fat PS3 do you have (e.g. CECHA, CECHB, ..., etc.)?

There are usually two error messages that often get mixed up. The first one is that the correct hard disk cannot be found. That means that the PS3 doesn't see a working hard drive attached to it. This is bad. Sometimes the drive isn't fully seated into the bay. Other times, you've happened to get a bum drive out of the box which can happen. Or you've accidentally damaged the drive.

The second error message says that the correct system software cannot be found, and it prompts you to press START and SELECT to load new firmware from a USB storage device. This is good. It means the PS3 can see a working drive attached to it. In this case, you just need to load new firmware from the USB storage device and then the PS3 will boot up like normal and present to you the XMB. It depends on the model of your fat PS3, because some of them don't need to reload firmware since the entire firmware is stored on the console and not the drive.

Message 30 of 91 (91 Views)
0 Likes