Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Tips on Upgrading to 500GB Hard Drive

Apr 9, 2011

JuannyCash wrote:

So, I do need to buy an external HD? Would I be able to use my PC at all, to backup anything?

You could use Backup Utility to backup to the 500 GB first, and then move the backup files to the PC. Format the 60 GB drive and move the backup files back onto it from the PC. Restore the backup files onto the 500 GB drive using Backup Utility. It's a lot of juggling, but it could work.

Message 11 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 9, 2011

So, I would only be able to use the old 60gb HDD on my PS3. Is there any way to format it to use as an external on anything else?

OK, so I need an external HDD to backup data. I've came up with these steps so far. Let me know if it'll work.

1. Remove 60gb HDD and replace it with 500gb (or maybe even 750gb) HDD

2. Format 500gb HDD

3. Remove 500gb HDD and put the old one back.

4. Backup data into external HDD (after the ext. HDD has been formatted to FAT32, right?)

5. Once again, remove 60gb HDD and replace it with the 500gb HDD

6. Restore data from ext. HDD to the 500gb HDD.

Message 12 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 9, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

JuannyCash wrote:

So, I do need to buy an external HD? Would I be able to use my PC at all, to backup anything?

You could use Backup Utility to backup to the 500 GB first, and then move the backup files to the PC. Format the 60 GB drive and move the backup files back onto it from the PC. Restore the backup files onto the 500 GB drive using Backup Utility. It's a lot of juggling, but it could work.

OK, would this work...

1. Remove 60gb HDD and replace it with new HDD

2. Format the new HDD using the PS3 (if I can, or I'll just format it using my Mac before step 1)

3. Remove the new HDD and put the old one back in (if formatting the new HDD works using PS3).

4. Backup data from the PS3 to the new HDD via some kind of adapter

5. Move data for the new HDD to a PC.

6. Format 60gb HDD and move data from PC to 60gb HDD

7. Restore data from 60gb HDD to the new HDD when its in the PS3.

Message 13 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 9, 2011

JuannyCash wrote:

So, I would only be able to use the old 60gb HDD on my PS3. Is there any way to format it to use as an external on anything else?

You can format it to FAT32 to use with any PS3 as an external drive.

I think you're confused from the steps you listed. You need a PC to format the 500 GB if you want to temporarily use it as an external drive for the PS3. The PS3 won't format it for you, since the PS3 only formats drives for internal use. The PS3 internal drives use a different, encrypted format that's keyed to that PS3. You can't move an internal drive from one PS3 to another and still use that data.

1. Format the 500 GB drive as a FAT32 partition using a PC.

2. Use Backup Utility to backup onto the 500 GB drive in a USB enclosure attached to the PS3.

3. Copy the resulting backup files from the 500 GB drive to the PC.

4. Swap the 500 GB drive into the PS3 and have the PS3 format the 500 GB drive for internal use.

5. Format the 60 GB drive in a USB enclosure on the PC as a FAT32 partition, and copy backup files onto 60 GB drive.

6. Use Backup Utility to restore the backup files from the 60 GB external drive onto the 500 GB drive.

You do have to pray your backup files are working 100%, because once you pave the 60 GB drive there is no going back. If your backup files fail, then your data is toast. Going with another external drive would be the best.

Message 14 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 9, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

JuannyCash wrote:

You can format it to FAT32 to use with any PS3 as an external drive.

I think you're confused from the steps you listed. You need a PC to format the 500 GB if you want to temporarily use it as an external drive for the PS3. The PS3 won't format it for you, since the PS3 only formats drives for internal use. The PS3 internal drives use a different, encrypted format that's keyed to that PS3. You can't move an internal drive from one PS3 to another and still use that data.

1. Format the 500 GB drive as a FAT32 partition using a PC.

2. Use Backup Utility to backup onto the 500 GB drive in a USB enclosure attached to the PS3.

3. Copy the resulting backup files from the 500 GB drive to the PC.

4. Swap the 500 GB drive into the PS3 and have the PS3 format the 500 GB drive for internal use.

5. Format the 60 GB drive in a USB enclosure on the PC as a FAT32 partition, and copy backup files onto 60 GB drive.

6. Use Backup Utility to restore the backup files from the 60 GB external drive onto the 500 GB drive.

You do have to pray your backup files are working 100%, because once you pave the 60 GB drive there is no going back. If your backup files fail, then your data is toast. Going with another external drive would be the best.

Ok, I got it. It does sound a bit risky, though.

Message 15 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 9, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

The PS3 internal drives use a different, encrypted format that's keyed to that PS3.

So would I be able to use the old HDD as an external HDD only for my PS3?

Message 16 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 9, 2011

Oh wait...

potatobreath, you said "The PS3 internal drives use a different, encrypted format that's keyed to that PS3." So would I even be able to transfer files from my PC to the 60gb HDD since it's encrypted, or would formatting remove the encryption. Would my PC even be able to read it so that I can format it, since it's encrypted?

Message 17 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Apr 9, 2011

JuannyCash wrote:

Oh wait...

potatobreath, you said "The PS3 internal drives use a different, encrypted format that's keyed to that PS3." So would I even be able to transfer files from my PC to the 60gb HDD since it's encrypted, or would formatting remove the encryption. Would my PC even be able to read it so that I can format it, since it's encrypted?

The PS3 backup utility packages everything onto the FAT32 drive into DAT files.  Those you can copy to a PC and then back to a FAT32 drive.

You format 500GB drive to FAT32 using a PC and backup the PS3 to it. Then copy the PS3 folder to your PC.

Then you format the 60GB to FAT32 using a PC and copy the PS3 folder to the 60GB.  Then you can restore that backup to the PS3 (after you install and let the PS3 format your 500GB HDD).

Message 18 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 9, 2011

The PC doesn't know it's an encrypted drive; it just thinks the drive is filled with gibberish and is unformatted. Once you format the 60 GB with the PC, it's no longer the PS3 internal encrypted format. It works like a regular external drive.

Message 19 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011
Solar_Difusion wrote:

The PS3 backup utility packages everything onto the FAT32 drive into DAT files.  Those you can copy to a PC and then back to a FAT32 drive.

You format 500GB drive to FAT32 using a PC and backup the PS3 to it. Then copy the PS3 folder to your PC.

Then you format the 60GB to FAT32 using a PC and copy the PS3 folder to the 60GB.  Then you can restore that backup to the PS3 (after you install and let the PS3 format your 500GB HDD).

Ok, that clarifies everything. Now it sound less risky, but is there any risk to doing it this way? Have you tryed (or have heard of anyone trying) this method?

Now I don't want to just toss my old HDD, I still want to use it. After everything is done, would I be able to use it as an external HDD?

Message 20 of 91 (331 Views)
0 Likes