Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 19 2012
By: hulingbantay Splicer 91 posts

Time Travel, Dinosaurs, and Guns, Oh My!!!

2 replies 114 views Edited Sep 19, 2012

There always seems to need to be something around every corner in a classic horror game. To need to be always on your toes. I used to think that Resident Evil was the go-to franchise for an adrenaline rush on the Playstation 1.

But, like many people, I eventually found something even better: the Dino Crisis franchise, 1 and 2. I’ve only played the second, but I was hooked from the first cutscene. It was nothing like anything I had played before, mainly because it was my first game with “mature” themes. I used to only play lighthearted, Rated “E” games for Everyone, so it was a little hard to react fast enough and stomach the bullet barrages through dino flesh at first.

So, what’s so special about the Dino Crisis franchise? Really? Well, if you’re thinking it’s like those tournament-style fighting duel games that pitted dinosaurs against dinosaurs, you couldn’t be further from the truth. Instead, the story revolves around investigating and rescuing a community literally sucked into the future alongside dinosaurs as a result of a faulty energy project. I think the two things that really stood out to me in Dino Crisis 2 were the guns and the gameplay.

The guns really put the ummph that a game like this needs. Guns are what usually drive most action-adventure games anyway, especially in Resident Evil and Call of Duty. While some are unnecessarily-high in Extinction Point cost (the in-game currency gained through killing dinos), the step-ladder system they came in fit each situation. It was really annoying, though, that some of the guns needed to get past a critical area for the plot to move forward cost so many points that I would go back and forth around all the areas just to get enough points. The big guns made the top of my list, especially when you need to alternate characters using a mortar cannon to help the other get to the next mortar cannon, and again and again.

The gameplay was the icing on the cake in Dino Crisis 2. Some were intuitive, while others were common-sense. I remember struggling to figure out what to do with a key in a room that needed a different key, then realizing I needed that other key all along (those who have played it, you know what I mean). Between the two characters, Regina’s stun blade and Dylan’s machete added different advantages to different areas. So, it became annoying when I’d get to far-off location, but needed the skills or equipment of the other character in order to advance further. The puzzles also enhanced the experience for me, some much more difficult than the others.

All in all, the Dino Crisis franchise stands as my favorite Playstation-exclusive franchise mainly for its guns and gameplay. Dino Crisis serves as yet another reason why I will always type: Long. Live. Playstation.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
630 posts

Re: Time Travel, Dinosaurs, and Guns, Oh My!!!

Sep 19, 2012

great story but it to late.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Re: Time Travel, Dinosaurs, and Guns, Oh My!!!

Sep 20, 2012

@lazarojenrry Wait what? Kristine (@cheshiresmile) only reviews entries the Wednesday prior to the Saturday Spotlight blog post. Whatever deadline you're thinking of isn't right. Wednesday is always the deadline.

Check your facts before you comment.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (104 Views)
0 Likes