Dec 26 2011
By: windyweather First Son 10 posts

Time Settings - You have got to be kidding...

5 replies 11 views Edited Dec 26, 2011

After all this time the time settings still have the following problems:

(1) No automatic daylight time setting. Hey, rip it off from the Open Source Linux sources.

(2) No automatic periodic internet time setting. You have to do it manually.. So it drifts of course and then you have to manually tell it to set it from the internet.

Hey Sony, get a clue.. These are minor fixes that will help to train software engineers that don't yet know how to program stuff on your PS3 team.

These are not feature requests. They are Bugs!!

- ww

Message 1 of 6 (11 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29423 posts

Re: Time Settings - You have got to be kidding...

Dec 26, 2011

windyweather wrote:

After all this time the time settings still have the following problems:

(1) No automatic daylight time setting. Hey, rip it off from the Open Source Linux sources.

(2) No automatic periodic internet time setting. You have to do it manually.. So it drifts of course and then you have to manually tell it to set it from the internet.

Hey Sony, get a clue.. These are minor fixes that will help to train software engineers that don't yet know how to program stuff on your PS3 team.

These are not feature requests. They are Bugs!!

- ww

Nothing like yet another "C'mon Sony!!" topic.

Not all states observe daylight savings time. And are you that lazy you can't adjust the day and time settings yourself? Or did you just want to play the "outraged gamer" card?

If you're using the PS3 as a time piece, then might I suggest a better way to keep time, even though many may consider this method more for "old people";

Longines Time Pieces.

Message 2 of 6 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Dec 26, 2011

Seriously, how hard is it to turn the DST option on and off as needed? You only have to do it twice a year.

Message 3 of 6 (11 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 29, 2011

The DST I agree how hard is it?  But can't we at least have the time right?  How often do you have to adjust the time on your computer when your at it?  It's not that we use it as a time piece it's just the sumplicity of it.  Seems to me like it would be simple programing, kind of like flipping on a switch.  Sure it was hard the first time we discovered electricity but now it's second nature...

Message 4 of 6 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Dec 29, 2011

Blitsch wrote:

The DST I agree how hard is it?  But can't we at least have the time right?  How often do you have to adjust the time on your computer when your at it?  It's not that we use it as a time piece it's just the sumplicity of it.  Seems to me like it would be simple programing, kind of like flipping on a switch.  Sure it was hard the first time we discovered electricity but now it's second nature...

Your computer likely connects to a time server on a regular basis and updates itself. You just have to do it manually on the PS3.

To be honest, I've never found the time on my PS3 to be off by more than a minute or two after owning it for over four years.

Message 5 of 6 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
4 posts

Dec 30, 2011

Maybe it will be better with my new PS3.  My 80 GB was always off by a few hours it seamed.  Just thought if my PS3 can auto log me into PSN why it couldn't go get the time also.  Wouldn't think it would take that much of an effort to do.  But for what I bought the PS3 for I will live with the time being wrong on occasion.  Got to love the gaming!!!

Message 6 of 6 (11 Views)
0 Likes