Nov 02 2012
By: Kennnyk3n Splicer 55 posts

Thoughts on Persona

21 replies 341 views Edited Nov 2, 2012

I've been watching playthroughs of persona 4 on the ps2 and I saw that they are releasing it again for the vita. It seems pretty dope and I'm interested in getting it was wondering though, how are the other games in the series? I wanted to buy one of the other ones in the store but I figured their play styles would be slightly different. How do you guys feel about them?

Message 1 of 22 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Re: Thoughts on Persona

Nov 2, 2012
Persona: Revelations and Persona 2: Innocent Sin have extremely outdated graphics (even for the time they were released) and old mechanics. On the other hand, they have outstanding character / plot development that most JRPGs today still struggle to achieve~.

Persona 3 Portable has the same gameplay as P4: The Golden except everything other than dungeon exploration is done like an interactive game because of the PSP's limitation~.

I don't think you'd enjoy P1/P2 unless you are an old school gamer (I grew with these games) but you'll probably enjoy P3P a lot~.
Message 2 of 22 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Nov 2, 2012

I've played Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 3 Portable. There is a vast difference in game play between the first 2 Persona titles and Persona 3 & 4. If you have not tried any Persona game then I would highly suggest Persona 3 Portable because it will be the closest to the game play style of Persona 4.

In Persona 3 Portable you have 2 different game play aspects. The dungeon exploration and the social sim. In P 3, you build relationships with Non Player Characters. These bonds impact your ability to create new Personas. In P 3 there are 12 Arcana or groups of Personas. Some Personas you are able to capture at the end of battle. Most are created by Fusion. You can take anywhere between 2 and 6 Personas and fuse them into something far more powerful.

It has been a while since I played Persona 2 Innocent Sin. In P 2, you could collect Tarot cards and exchange them for Personas. In P 2, your Personas ranked up by summoning them. By contrast in Persona 3 Portable, the Personas level up through XP like your characters do. In P 2, each party member can equip different Personas but in P 3, only you, the main character can equip different Personas. In P 2, there are no social interactions like in Persona 3.

In P 2 you could also interact with the demons during combat. You could try to make them friendly to your party so that when you met that type again, you could gain money or items from them. Not in Persona 3.

Graphically the first 2 Personas are sub par in contrast to Persona 3. But some gamers like myself don't really mind that.

Overall I would recommend Persona 3 Portable if you are interested in Persona 4 for the sole reason it will prepare you better for Persona 4 by virtue of building bonds with NPCs and exploration. I also enjoyed the story in Persona 3 Portable much more than I did in Persona 2. By the time I finished my first play in Persona 3 Portable I had close to 150 hours or so.

Message 3 of 22 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

From what you're saying Persona 3 would probably be the best choice. The whole social links system seems interesting.

Message 4 of 22 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Nov 3, 2012

Kennnyk3n wrote:

From what you're saying Persona 3 would probably be the best choice. The whole social links system seems interesting.

It is.

Message 5 of 22 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Nov 3, 2012

I got Persona 3 and Persona 4. I well be getting Golden. Persona is an amazing series and I like 4 more than 3.

Message 6 of 22 (278 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2012

I haven't played other personas but I've watch the complete walkthrough on Persona 3 and I believe the first, and I really love the 3rd. best one to get i say if you want to get another.

I pre-ordered Persona 4 golden sooo excited to play that.

Message 7 of 22 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
758 posts

Nov 3, 2012

I think you should just wait on 4.  It's not that long away. 

Message 8 of 22 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Nov 4, 2012

just preordered persona 4 golden  last night Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 22 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Nov 7, 2012
For those interested, all Persona PSP games are on sale right now, P3P is going for $9.99 which is a really sweet deal. So those who are looking to learn more about the Persona-verse, this is the best time for it~.
Message 10 of 22 (196 Views)
0 Likes