Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 23 2011
By: mick_the_gun First Son 23 posts

The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted?

9 replies 20584 views Edited Jul 23, 2011

Help, I use a modem and a router and i get this message on my ps3, I have tried many thing to get this message off so i can get NAT type 2 on my ps3. If a router does not support ip fragments, does that mean im stuck with NAT type 3 forever???

Please reply. I need help.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (20,584 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5015 posts

Re: The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted?

Jul 23, 2011

while i havent ran across this error before - or heard of it for that matter. i do believe without switching modems you will be stuck with 3. sorry i cant be of more help 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (20,584 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5015 posts

Re: The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may be restricted?

Jul 23, 2011

The IP fragments message means your MTU setting in your router is not correct. Insure the MTU setting on your PS3 is set to automatic and try to locate the MTU value in your router pages and note what it is. If it's 1500 it may need to be lower.

Go to this web site

http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml

It will assist you in determining your correct MTU value.

Also, what make router is it?

i did find this while searching the message you put in. some said it helped - others said it didnt - you may want to try it

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (20,584 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5015 posts

Jul 23, 2011

ohhh and there are people saying they got this message and still had nat type 2 - says the message effects some games and not others - sorry for responding in more then one box - just didnt know if you read the first part and wouldnt read edits because didnt see the thread updated

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (20,584 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 24, 2011

ok thanks, yea i think thats true, it only affects some games. I play cod online all the time with ease at finding games, but then i go on my assassins creed brotherhood and i can hardly ever find a match. my friend has NAT type 2 and he finds matches almost instantly every time.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (20,584 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

May 25, 2012

Hey found the same issue with my service, Time warner cable, Ambit router/modem. I found a small program that automatically detects the best MTU for you without all the guess work. You can find it at http://qsextreme.com/mtutest/

My max MTU that doesn't fragment is 1024. Since I've changed it on my pc, router and in the network setup on my PS3 I've noticed that I can connect to online games and find more servers instantly. I still get the Router in use may not support IP fragments..... message but I've noticed a huge difference. Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (20,584 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may

Sep 5, 2012

i have a 2wire router with the ip fragments error message, wondering if anyone knows how to fix it with this type of router

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (19,784 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: The router in use may not support IP fragments, and the communication features of some games may

Nov 19, 2012
Naaaaaaaa my ps3 was working good with nat 2 when I double up the Internet speed this message all ways on my screen and I can't see the Internet speed any help I'm using a modem named billion
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (18,629 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 21, 2012

same here i double up internet speed and this message always on my face help i got linksys wag120n

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (18,014 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 7, 2013

started having this problem, i've figured out my mtu at 1472+28 and still getting the IP fragments issue? any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (8,884 Views)
0 Likes