Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Re: The playstation Store is terrible.

[ Edited ]
May 3, 2013

Not to derail the thread too much but I'm curious, for those with good or bad experiences, what kind of conditions is your ps3 working in?

System (PS3 fat, slim, new slim, vita, etc)

Approximate free HDD space if known (this probably doesn't matter for PS3 like it does PC):

Approximate internet speeds:

Experience (good, bad, average, etc):

Me, I've got a:

160GB PS3 slim,

About 35GB free,

50Mb down 4-6Mbit up,

Experience is below average.

Its still slow overall but its noticeably faster than a few months ago

Reason I'm comparing to some months ago is because I didn't have access to my PS3 for months after I moved.

Accessing the store is usually done from a cold PS3 start, and the PS3 itself is well ventilated.

Message 21 of 39 (1,289 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

May 3, 2013
Why do people feel they have to compare internet speed sizes? It's like they're compensating for something. Well I live on a farm in the boonies and my internet speed sucks. It takes like a minute to load the store for me but after that it's alright. I just don't like how they're trying to be like the new Microsoft computer/tablets with their scrolling horazontal screen. Feels like it's just pages of advertisements like on XBox. I don't like how you have to go page into page into page just to get where you want to go. But Sony wouldn't want you to have a favorites button because then you'd skip all their game advertisements. The scrolling wheel on searches does suck too. Since it's in auto spell mode sometimes you don't know if you're spelling the game wrong or if its just not in the store. So my argument is about design being bad over speed. Don't think they'll do much about it though since the design was probably put together by an advertising department and not a creative department.
Message 22 of 39 (1,280 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 3, 2013
o.O
Since I don't really see anyone comparing speeds, I'm gonna guess that was directed at me. Its just one aspect out of a possible many that could be causing the problem. If someone is having a better experience than me, I want to know why and what I have to change in order to get on the same level. Like I said in a previous post of mine, my experience got noticeably better after my connection improved. I'm not saying that is the only cause, but it could have been one of the reasons.
Message 23 of 39 (1,273 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38791 posts

May 3, 2013

One thing that people may forget when first starting the Store Application is that the PS Store is indeed now an application as opposed to being part of the internal software, so it's like other App's, it can take a few moments to to boot up.

I'll reiterate that I have no issues with the PS Store whatsoever.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 24 of 39 (1,269 Views)
Gaming Beast
2026 posts

May 3, 2013

The store does have some problems. I am not as fond of the tile search as the old in line scroll search. Did not seem to take as much to find things then. Plus it seems that they list things wrong every now and then or the store screws up in the check out more often than before. They do not have it dialed in just right yet I guess. Most likely why there has been so many updates for it . I have noticed that the store will run good when you first start using it. But the more you go in and out of games and sections of it it gets slower and slower. Like the ps3 is having a hard time processing it. I go out of the store and right back in again and it runs good again. If it was my internet the store would not be the only thing that run bad on it. 

Happy Gaming

Message 25 of 39 (1,265 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

May 3, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

DanSD wrote:

Taking 45 seconds to initially open is pretty annoying. I'm weary of people claiming it runs smoothly. My experience isn't the same. If you're moving from one menu to the next in order to reach deeper options (ie: From main menu --> Games --> PS+ --> Free Games), it lags while simply moving down the left-hand menu to select different options, as the images for each option attempt to load as you scroll past them.

The search feature is the same way. After you select a letter, you have to wait a second or two for the new set of letters to load in before you can select a new letter. With a full onscreen keyboard the user could go straight from one letter to the next, with zero delay.

The layout of the new store is fantastic, but the performance needs an improvement.

Some people have said the new Store is more dependent on your network connection more than before which is why it lags for some people and smooth as silk for others.... I now have a Gigabit connection with less than 1ms ping and nearly zero jitter....

While it does take an unnecessary amount of startup time, that I can agree with.... but its smooth for me when browsing.

Does having a good router help to? Smiley Happy

Of course it does..... having excellent equipment helps A TON with overall internet quality.

I used to run a Linksys router with DD-WRT and it has served me well for about 3 years..... But being sick and tired of power cycling my network every other week is tedious so I went with a more professional networking equipment... especially now that I have Gigabit internet, I want to be able to have THE BEST possible experience. 2 months now and i've yet to experience any sort of need to power cycle my equipment.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 26 of 39 (1,255 Views)
Big Daddy
16824 posts

May 3, 2013

kythunder wrote:

i don't understand...the store runs quick and fluid for me...think some just have crappy ISP's...

Thats what I'm starting to think.....

because honestly, not everyone can afford 20, 30, 40, 50+ Mbps internet..... the average household actually only has a 3-10Mbps connection.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 27 of 39 (1,247 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

May 3, 2013

knightnorth wrote:
Why do people feel they have to compare internet speed sizes? It's like they're compensating for something.
Because there is a direct correlation with regard to overall online experiences.... someone who has a 1Mbps and 120+ms ping connection is going to have a bad experience as opposed to someone else having a 40Mbps and <20ms ping connection.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 28 of 39 (1,104 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28528 posts

May 3, 2013

I know it's easier to be outraged and scream "C'MON SONY!!", but if you take about five minutes to learn how to use the new Playstation Store, it will save a lot of aggravation. 

Message 29 of 39 (924 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28528 posts

May 3, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

kythunder wrote:

i don't understand...the store runs quick and fluid for me...think some just have crappy ISP's...

Thats what I'm starting to think.....

because honestly, not everyone can afford 20, 30, 40, 50+ Mbps internet..... the average household actually only has a 3-10Mbps connection.

With me it's not a question of "affording" faster internet, it's just not available in my area. I keep getting offers in the mail for AT&T U-Verse, and all they can offer me is 3mbps, which is only slightly better than the service I already have, and which I already don't like. The only other option is Comcast, and they suck. And this is a town with a MAJOR Ivy League university, so you'd think there would have been a major tech upgrade over the last decade.

Message 30 of 39 (552 Views)
0 Likes