Sep 26 2012
By: Phomidable First Son 3 posts

The new pulse sony headset

[ Edited ]
9 replies 2472 views Edited Sep 26, 2012

I just saw them for the first time on the sony facebook post. I noticed how nice they looked and started reading more information about them. Apparently, they're the newer edition of the previous sony wireless headset. I never really thought about spending 100+ on a new headset, but these cans seem to persuade me. The only question is... is it a universal headset? I know it can work with PC, iphone and whatnot but can I use them for my xbox 360 as well? I know the chat function won't work, as the xbox uses a 2.5mm cable, but will the wireless surround sound 7.1 work? All I have to do is plug in the dongle, like I would with the PS3 right?

Message 1 of 10 (2,472 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16068 posts

Re: The new pulse sony headset

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

Phomidable wrote:

I just saw them for the first time on the sony facebook post. I noticed how nice they looked and started reading more information about them. Apparently, they're the newer edition of the previous sony wireless headset. I never really thought about spending 100+ on a new headset, but these cans seem to persuade me. The only question is... is it a universal headset? I know it can work with PC, iphone and whatnot but can I use them for my xbox 360 as well? I know the chat function won't work, as the xbox uses a 2.5mm cable, but will the wireless surround sound 7.1 work? All I have to do is plug in the dongle, like I would with the PS3 right?

It will work with PC using the dongle. with smartphones and MP3 players it uses a 3.5mm headphone jack..... you cannot use it with an Xbox. The 7.1 virtual surround sound will not work on anything except the PS3.

The only difference from the normal 7.1 headset to this "Pulse/Elite" headset is the addition of a headphone jack and I believe adjustable bass and treble. But being an owner of the normal 7.1 headset, I dont think the treble/bass asjustments will do anything except make the sound a bit distorted since even at high volume levels the bass almost turns to static.

If you want to spend $150+ on a headset that will work with with every device you own, then get something else but dont expect the same quality as the Sony headset, most are fragile.

I've had my headset since it released and its the sturdiest headsets i've ever owned. I'll never go back to TB or even spend the $250+ for Astro's or Trittons...

the Sony headset I have cost me $80 and is a lot better than all of the Turtle Beach headsets i've been through(just about every one they make excep the $300+ ones)

I cant justify spending so much money on something that I only use for a console and occasional use on the PC

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 2 of 10 (2,465 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 26, 2012

Hmm I see. Were the old ones bluetooth? Maybe that's why it did not work for the 360? I heard the Pulse ones were not bluetooth.

Message 3 of 10 (2,462 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Phomidable wrote:

It will work with PC using the dongle. with smartphones and MP3 players it uses a 3.5mm headphone jack..... you cannot use it with an Xbox. The 7.1 virtual surround sound will not work on anything except the PS3.

The only difference from the normal 7.1 headset to this "Pulse/Elite" headset is the addition of a headphone jack and I believe adjustable bass and treble. But being an owner of the normal 7.1 headset, I dont think the treble/bass asjustments will do anything except make the sound a bit distorted since even at high volume levels the bass almost turns to static.

If you want to spend $150+ on a headset that will work with with every device you own, then get something else but dont expect the same quality as the Sony headset, most are fragile.

I've had my headset since it released and its the sturdiest headsets i've ever owned. I'll never go back to TB or even spend the $250+ for Astro's or Trittons...

the Sony headset I have cost me $80 and is a lot better than all of the Turtle Beach headsets i've been through(just about every one they make excep the $300+ ones)

I cant justify spending so much money on something that I only use for a console and occasional use on the PC

The new set also vibrate to make it feel more realalistic....apparently if your getting shot at from the left, the left side will vibrate same for right side and both for front 

Message 4 of 10 (2,458 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16068 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2012

Phomidable wrote:

Hmm I see. Were the old ones bluetooth? Maybe that's why it did not work for the 360? I heard the Pulse ones were not bluetooth.

No they are not bluetooth.... they use a USB dongle, some have said that they operate on an RF frequency and I've also heard they use a more advanced bluetooth spec than what the PS3 has...... I can get some range out of mine, not like the original bluetooth profile that a limited range of only 33ft

I tried using it on my XBox, no joy..... I didn't expect it to either, but I figured 'why not' since my 360S has a nice layer of dust on it from never being used

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 5 of 10 (2,439 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 27, 2012
Ahh ok thanks for answering my questions! I prefer my ps3 over my 360 anyways. I'm just glad it has PC functionality since I game on my laptop a lot too.
Message 6 of 10 (2,431 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Sep 27, 2012

I would love to buy these but that's only going to happen if I know for sure they will work with the PS4 which I'm already saving up for.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 10 (2,427 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16068 posts

Sep 27, 2012

ACtripxl wrote:

I would love to buy these but that's only going to happen if I know for sure they will work with the PS4 which I'm already saving up for.

Nothing about the PS4 has been announced..... Sony has never announced anything about a new console so I wouldn't hold my breath saying something like that.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 8 of 10 (2,423 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
348 posts

Sep 27, 2012
Wouldn't worry about ps4 like ghost said. It's still 1-3 years off. More tha. Likely they'd work with it anyhow.
Message 9 of 10 (2,412 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I may be alittle late for this thread but it may help others that look at it later. The older 7.1 Sony headset and most likely the pulse will work on some smart phones with a USB OTG (USB On The Go) adapter. I have a USB OTG adapter for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and they work with music, but will not workk on video's, I think due to the phone working too hard to manage the headset and video. I use the older 7.1 Sony headset on my galaxy s3 and they work fine "only for music", but I tried them on other samsung/android smart phones, they dont work at all. I think the galaxy S3 micro USB port has a higher voltage output than other phones. I have NO regret's on the Sony headset and stilllove them till today. Hope this helps

Message 10 of 10 (771 Views)
0 Likes