Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Re: The future of PS exclusives on the PS4

Feb 13, 2014

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Coming into the PlayStation 3 generation, SOCOM actually was not present until a couple of years down the way. There was a Gran Turismo on showcase and of course some exclusives that were shutdown from production, such as Eight Days. Of the remaining exclusives for the system there was also titles out there such as Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, and the MotorStorm series either starting something new or bringing their legacy into a new era.

PlayStation exclusives such as Killzone, Infamous, and the Uncharted series right now are at least some of the main reasons why people are going PlayStation 4 instead of another way. Driveclub from Evolution (the MotorStorm company) is a new property that appears to be attracting racing fans. Knack is gaining interest from those looking for something new and similar to the kinds of action and platforming franchises it pulls from.

Personally though, the exclusives or semi-exclusives that I think at this point could be the reasons to own a PlayStation 4 either soon or much later will be that of the host of indie games heading to the platform. If you're not PC-oriented and would prefer your games on a console versus that of a computer, then some of the alluring craze from the downloadable department is ramping up from titles like Ray's the Dead, Rime, The Witness, and Hohokum. If these sorts of games can pull off their mastery of being good games or better then that would be nice. Right now though, I do agree that the PlayStation 4 doesn't really aim itself with the same kind of alluring "must-have" factor as previous PlayStation consoles did early on.

Socom did take a while to make it onto the PS 3 because they made the mistake of trying to squeeze one last pay day out of the PS 2 by working on Combined Assault which could have been time spent on a PS 3 launch Socom. That's part of the reason I think Socom sank hard was bad mismanagement. They took what was their flagship online shooter and back burnered it so that a ton of other shooters got their foot in the door first and established their marketshares. Then on top of that when Socom finally came in the form of Confrontation it was just a stripped down version of the classic Socom games with a bunch of missing features as well as numerous downgraded ones. Socom was the main franchise that had me buying a PS 3 on launch day just for sheer anticipation of the arrival of a next gen Socom and that was a big mistake. Turns out most of the games I played while waiting for that Socom arrival wound up being better then Socom. Another mistake was making their "next gen" Socom debut with a rookie company in Slant 6. Then again Socom 4 made the original dev look far more incompetent then Slant 6 which I would have never though possible lol. Confrontation set the bar very low, you had to try really hard to make a worse game then that and Zipper managed to do it. Great game originally just sadly wound up in the hands of the worst developers who were extremely anti-fanbase.

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 11 of 18 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Feb 13, 2014

socom69 wrote:

I think the ps4 exclusives this gen that will sell people are GT, DriveClub, KZ, Uncharted, Infamous, GoW, and whatever Media Molecule makes. H-Hour will be set in place to appease socom fans, and will likely be an icing on the cake title that'll acquire the popularity of socom confrontation and warhawk. If Atlus and Nis America continue to support sony, they'll help secure the JRPG fanbase. Outside of all of this, I think sony will try to get people to stick with ps4 through console exclusive content. FF, MGS & KH console exclusivity has gone the way of the dinosaur so I expect big exclusive content to get people to buy them on ps4. All in all, I think my ps4 library will be as small as my dreamcast library.

I've never really understood the draw to Infamous. I mean everyone has different tastes but man I just found those games boring, I tried to like them because of all the good reviews I heard about the original when it first arrived but it just didn't pull me in. What I don't like about Uncharted is all the quick time events. There's too many games nowadays that simply want you to press a button or series of buttons like you're playing an old school Simon and then the action plays itself out with cutscenes instead of you controlling it. I didn't mind it as an occasional element in games like Resident Evil 4 or God of War but some games are just becoming oversaturated with that. I do like me some Grand Turismo but I'm not huge on the racing genre so it's a kind of thing where I don't mind adding it to a collection when I have a console but I wouldn't buy a console for that kind of game, if that makes sense.

Message 12 of 18 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9888 posts

Feb 13, 2014
The exclusives are only going to get better over time. All of Sony's first party studios are working on something, some new IPs and some existing IPs. Right now the exclusives are solid but 2-3 years from now I think the lineup will be very good.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 13 of 18 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Feb 13, 2014

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

socom69 wrote:

I think the ps4 exclusives this gen that will sell people are GT, DriveClub, KZ, Uncharted, Infamous, GoW, and whatever Media Molecule makes. H-Hour will be set in place to appease socom fans, and will likely be an icing on the cake title that'll acquire the popularity of socom confrontation and warhawk. If Atlus and Nis America continue to support sony, they'll help secure the JRPG fanbase. Outside of all of this, I think sony will try to get people to stick with ps4 through console exclusive content. FF, MGS & KH console exclusivity has gone the way of the dinosaur so I expect big exclusive content to get people to buy them on ps4. All in all, I think my ps4 library will be as small as my dreamcast library.

I've never really understood the draw to Infamous. I mean everyone has different tastes but man I just found those games boring, I tried to like them because of all the good reviews I heard about the original when it first arrived but it just didn't pull me in. What I don't like about Uncharted is all the quick time events. There's too many games nowadays that simply want you to press a button or series of buttons like you're playing an old school Simon and then the action plays itself out with cutscenes instead of you controlling it. I didn't mind it as an occasional element in games like Resident Evil 4 or God of War but some games are just becoming oversaturated with that. I do like me some Grand Turismo but I'm not huge on the racing genre so it's a kind of thing where I don't mind adding it to a collection when I have a console but I wouldn't buy a console for that kind of game, if that makes sense.

I personally love Infamous because of the good and evil story paths you can take, the branching skill system that is exclusive to the respective path, and the fast action. The fact that in the second game there was no "good" ending really got me. Uncharted is just a spectacle. GT is the best selling ps exclusive across every ps generation and has substantial system selling power. I love GT so much that I actually was one of "those people" that paid for GT5 Prologue. 

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 14 of 18 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Feb 13, 2014

socom69 wrote:

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

socom69 wrote:

I personally love Infamous because of the good and evil story paths you can take, the branching skill system that is exclusive to the respective path, and the fast action. The fact that in the second game there was no "good" ending really got me. Uncharted is just a spectacle. GT is the best selling ps exclusive across every ps generation and has substantial system selling power. I love GT so much that I actually was one of "those people" that paid for GT5 Prologue. 

I can definitely see what you're saying with GT. I mean I'm not to big into the racing genre but I can see where I would be in the minority there as most dues are into cars and fittingly would be into a kind of  racing game where they can really trick them out and add all sorts of customizations to it. GT seems unmatched when it comes to the depth it offers in that genre for sure.

Message 15 of 18 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2014

What about The Order 1886 or the MLB franchise? Also there will probably be more exclusives revealed at this years E3. Also it seems that multi-plays which I do tend to enjoy are performing better on the PS 4 than they are the Xbox One.

Message 16 of 18 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14193 posts

Feb 13, 2014

murphdawg1 wrote:

What about The Order 1886 or the MLB franchise? Also there will probably be more exclusives revealed at this years E3.

The Order isn't really something that interests me, not in like the same way as when I first started getting details of God of War when that was a new upcoming IP. As far as the show goes I'm not really into that. It's sort of like Madden for me where after awhile it all feels the same. I played Madden from its inception on the genesis till like the 2007 version on the PS 2 and then just stopped buying them. After awhile sports games all start to feel stale or rehashed. Played the 2k baseball games as well as EA MVP baseball and the show and after while it all starts to feel the same with that as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of NBA Street, used to enjoy that game even though it was a bit off the wall and far from a sim. Definitely would like to see some new franchises that draw me in with the same excitement as Socom and God of War did when they were new but there's just nothing at this time pulling me in like that.

Message 17 of 18 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Feb 13, 2014

TOMBSTONE4U wrote:

murphdawg1 wrote:

What about The Order 1886 or the MLB franchise? Also there will probably be more exclusives revealed at this years E3.

The Order isn't really something that interests me, not in like the same way as when I first started getting details of God of War when that was a new upcoming IP. As far as the show goes I'm not really into that. It's sort of like Madden for me where after awhile it all feels the same. I played Madden from its inception on the genesis till like the 2007 version on the PS 2 and then just stopped buying them. After awhile sports games all start to feel stale or rehashed. Played the 2k baseball games as well as EA MVP baseball and the show and after while it all starts to feel the same with that as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of NBA Street, used to enjoy that game even though it was a bit off the wall and far from a sim. Definitely would like to see some new franchises that draw me in with the same excitement as Socom and God of War did when they were new but there's just nothing at this time pulling me in like that.

I do understand what you mean by sports games becoming stale after awhile but I think EA does have something going for itself with Online Team Play(OTP). Playing 6v6 hockey is quite fun and being on a club definitely brings out the competitiveness. I would love to see Sony San Diego do something simliar with The Show but they'd need dedicated servers for it first.

Message 18 of 18 (143 Views)
0 Likes