Feb 13 2014
By: TOMBSTONE4U Ghost of Sparta 14193 posts

The future of PS exclusives on the PS4

[ Edited ]
17 replies 434 views Edited Feb 13, 2014

Coming into the PS 3 generation the main exclusives to look forward to were Grand Turismo, God of War, Socom, Killzone, Resistance Fall of Man, and I guess I can add Uncharted to that list as it wound up emerging as a top exclusive on par with ones that had already been popular on the PS 2. Of course even though it wasn't first party Metal Gear Solid 4 had draw as a PS exclusive as well.

Now the PS 3 really destroyed my favorite franchise in Socom as the developer and publisher were just really out of touch with what people liked about Socom and made changes to just about everything that made the game good. Resistance Fall of Man fizzled out and has joined Socom in the graveyard. Metal Gear Solid appears to now be sticking multi-platform for the time being. Bottom line is that the once hearty exclusive lineup of games isn't quite as good as it once was. Of the remaining excluisives I'd say only God of War is one I really liked or got into but not on the kind of level where it's a system seller where I feel like I would have to pick up a PS 4 even if just to play futue God of War games.

So my question is what now or in the near future is coming that has people thinking "PS 4 is a must have console"? I currently don't own a PS 4 nor an XBox1 as I'm underwhelmed by the offerings of both. Had the PS 4 had backwards compatibility that would have been a big difference maker because I have a large library of PS 2 games as well as some PS 3 games I could have been messing around with till the PS 4 library grows and uncluttered my entertainment center with just one machine to play them on. But of course as we all know that one feature that could have made it a day one buy for me is not there lol.

I'm starting to consider just jumping onto the PC gamer bandwagon since consoles have just kind of become half baked PCs and don't really hold the advantages they once did over PCs as a result. (Example: games often release broken as they assume they can just patch it later and get it right 6 months to a year after release now whereas we used to get games fully complete with just minor bugs on older consoles.) So is there anything down the pipeline that might change my mind? This is the first generation of consoles since like Pong that I feel no excitement for and don't feel like I'm really missing out on much. It's not just lack of launch titles as I've been a day one buyer of many a console and have always been fine with that but the future of exclusives for the PS 4 just looks bleak. It doesn't pull me in the same way the PS 2 exclusives did or the Nintendo exclusives used to when I was a younger gamer.

Edit: Updated title and removed label

Sig: Socom 1 and 2 best games I've played on any console.
Message 1 of 18 (434 Views)
Fender Bender
3450 posts

Re: The future of PS exclusives on the PS4

Feb 13, 2014

The main reason I chose PS4 over Xbox One as my primary console this generation was the quality of exclusives, mainly Uncharted, The Last of Us, and Killzone. Sony seems to realize, now, that the reason gamers by game machines is to play games.  I know it seems like there are few great exclusives on the horizon, but I wouldn't give up just yet.  We are at the beginning of a new console generation, and it's always a little dry at first.  In the next couple of years, I would be shocked if we don't see new entries from SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Resistance, and God of War, in addition to those already mentioned.  Those games will most likely not be on PC.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 2 of 18 (403 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Feb 13, 2014

This again? The console is only a few months old. The PS3 had a lackluster library at this time as well. Stop complaining.

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 3 of 18 (391 Views)
Fender Bender
4188 posts

Feb 13, 2014

Hey Tomb,

It's true there aren't many PS4 exclusives on the horizon, if at all. So far, most of the games that have caught my interest are multi-platform games. But since I've always been a Playstation person, I don't really mind and look forward to what these upcoming games have to offer, provided they get good reviews all around.

I can't speak for every gamer out there when it comes to which console is more preferable, or on why I prefer a console over PC, but I do think as Gamers we'll always be looking forward to the newest games within our preferrred genres. Whether these games are a hit or miss is a another story. I am salivating for H-Hour, though.

Message 4 of 18 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11727 posts

Feb 13, 2014

Coming into the PlayStation 3 generation, SOCOM actually was not present until a couple of years down the way. There was a Gran Turismo on showcase and of course some exclusives that were shutdown from production, such as Eight Days. Of the remaining exclusives for the system there was also titles out there such as Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, and the MotorStorm series either starting something new or bringing their legacy into a new era.

PlayStation exclusives such as Killzone, Infamous, and the Uncharted series right now are at least some of the main reasons why people are going PlayStation 4 instead of another way. Driveclub from Evolution (the MotorStorm company) is a new property that appears to be attracting racing fans. Knack is gaining interest from those looking for something new and similar to the kinds of action and platforming franchises it pulls from.

Personally though, the exclusives or semi-exclusives that I think at this point could be the reasons to own a PlayStation 4 either soon or much later will be that of the host of indie games heading to the platform. If you're not PC-oriented and would prefer your games on a console versus that of a computer, then some of the alluring craze from the downloadable department is ramping up from titles like Ray's the Dead, Rime, The Witness, and Hohokum. If these sorts of games can pull off their mastery of being good games or better then that would be nice. Right now though, I do agree that the PlayStation 4 doesn't really aim itself with the same kind of alluring "must-have" factor as previous PlayStation consoles did early on.

Message 5 of 18 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Feb 13, 2014

I think the ps4 exclusives this gen that will sell people are GT, DriveClub, KZ, Uncharted, Infamous, GoW, and whatever Media Molecule makes. H-Hour will be set in place to appease socom fans, and will likely be an icing on the cake title that'll acquire the popularity of socom confrontation and warhawk. If Atlus and Nis America continue to support sony, they'll help secure the JRPG fanbase. Outside of all of this, I think sony will try to get people to stick with ps4 through console exclusive content. FF, MGS & KH console exclusivity has gone the way of the dinosaur so I expect big exclusive content to get people to buy them on ps4. All in all, I think my ps4 library will be as small as my dreamcast library.

"While we're being honest, might I suggest something.

Please put your trophy profile as private, otherwise I might have believed you own a PS4 (thanks for the fake pic though)."

Message 6 of 18 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Feb 13, 2014

Half Life 3 Confirmed

Get Your Portable ID!

ps(4) - xbox(1) = 3
Half life 3 confirmed?
Message 7 of 18 (356 Views)
0 Likes