First Son
1 posts

Re: The Unofficial PS3 Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse Compatibility List

May 9, 2008

> This might sound like a dumb question, but of the keyboard/mouse cobos that actually work, do you use the Bluetooth hub that comes with them or does the PS3 recognise the devices without the hub?

Actually, that's a pretty good question. My understanding (which could be completely wrong, as I have yet to jump in and buy a BT keyboard for my PS3 yet) is that you can go either way: pair the keyboard directly with the PS3 or with the dongle.

The big advantage of using the dongle is that it makes the keyboard look like a standard USB device to the PS3, which can make things much easier when using Linux (for example, the kboot bootloader will see the keyboard without you needing to add a bunch of BT codes on the kernel boot line or in a config file somewhere, or having to plug in a standard wired USB keyboard just to type things into kboot). Plus, you can stretch the wireless range of the keyboard by plugging the dongle into the PS3 via a USB extender cable--it won't look pretty, but it might be needed if your couch is --just-- beyond the range of the keyboard.

OTOH, pairing directly with the PS3 means that you're not using one of your USB ports for the dongle (which might be important if you want to plug in anything besides the charger cable for the sixaxis controller and the dongle and you've got a 2-USB-port PS3), and it looks cleaner without that blinky gadget poking out. (The third USB gadget that I'm planning to plug into my PS3 is the Nyko USB-IR remote adapter that will let my universal remote talk to the PS3's Blu-Ray player.)

Having dealt with many fussy and balky first-gen BT devices, I definitely would advise getting a keyboard with a dongle if at all possible--at the very least, it'll give you another way to try to pair your BT gadgets up. You've got a better chance of getting them to play nice with your PS3 since you can try pairing them with either the dongle or the PS3. If it ends up that you don't need the dongle for the PS3, it might come in handy on some old pre-BT PC or laptop. 

Message 21 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

May 9, 2008
I recently got the Logitech MX3200 (Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse) works fine but the range of it sucks, I couldn't go more than 4 feet. So I returned it, I dunno if I got a bad one or not =/
Message 22 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2533 posts

May 9, 2008

add my mouse to the list. Microsoft Intellimouse (i got the mouse separate, usually sold in a combo)

It comes with a USB bluetooth dongle. The dongle is not necessary to pair with the playstation 3. It works normal in internet browser and XMB

**BUT** it does not work in Unreal Tournament 3. Could be the game, could be the mouse, I don't know which.

2012 is just around the corner...
Message 23 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 9, 2008
That is some very good information. Thank you! If you do ever get a BT keyboard for your PS3, please post and let us know how you made out. I'll do the same.
Message 24 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4184 posts

May 9, 2008

This one has been working great for me for almost a year now, LINK HERE,  

Photobucket

Message 25 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 9, 2008

Wow! That is a really inexpensive solution. Do you use the touch pad for the aiming reticle on FPS games like HL2, or do you use a mouse? I really suck trying to use the six axis controller for FPS games. I used to play them exclusively on a PC and I'm am os used to the ASDWX keyboard for movement and the mouse for aiming. It's hard to teach an old dawg new tricks...

Message 26 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 20, 2008

I was wondering if someone with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard could answer me just one simple question that I have been wondering

Do the mouse and keyboards work without the dongle

This is the only question I have that is stopping me from purchasing one right now

Message 27 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 20, 2008

Not sure, but that Logitech Dinovo mini sure looks good...expensive though!

Message Edited by Misfit-Hawk on 06-20-2008 01:07 AM
Message 28 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Sep 21, 2008
I've been looknig for a wireless bluetooth mouse and a wireless bluetooth keyboard and I am happy that I found this thread. It's a **bleep** looking for it online, as there is no one true site or board that cater to this specific need. I hope you guys can come out and help 'cause I want to find something that's cheap and won't run me over a hundred dollars.
Message 29 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Dec 11, 2008

My main overall concern with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse is if it works in game or not.  I wouldn't mind the ease of surfing the net with a keyboard/mouse but I want to mash on some people in some 3d shooters =P.  If anyone has any insight on the in game portion of the linkage, please send me a message and fill me in!

-MK

Message 30 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes